2000 list - Feedback appreciated

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

2000 list - Feedback appreciated

Post by khyran »

Here's an all rounder army list that I was hoping you guys to give me some feedback on. What do you think is missing? What are the weaknesses of such a list? How could I resolve them?

Lords: 295
  • Spellweaver, level 4, Elven Steed, Dispell scroll,Obsidian Amulet
Core Units: 500
  • 10 Glade Guards, Trueflight arrows
    10 Glade Guards, Hagbane tips
    5 Glade Riders, Musician
    5 Glade Riders
Special Units: 703
  • 6 Sisters of the Thorn, Standard Bearer, Standard of discipline
    6 Wild Riders, Standard Bearer, Champion, Shields, Banner of Eternal Flame
    6 Wild Riders, Standard Bearer, Champion, Shields
    5 Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane arrows
    5 Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane arrows
Rare Units: 500
  • 10 Waywatchers
    10 Waywatchers
    Great Eagle
    Great Eagle
Total points: 1998

Deployment:
- 2 ambush, 4 scouts & 6 units & 1 character= 13 units

Shooting:
- 20 GG, 20-40 WW, 6 SotT, 10 GR, 10 DS =66-86 shots

Magic:
- Shadow or high magic; most likely Shadow. I'm not the most experienced general and nor are my opponents on average so I think I can get away with a round or two of withering and catch my enemy by surprise. (some 80 shots on T2 OUCH!)

cons
- no BSB
- Rely heavily on wildriders surviving to clean up
- generally rely on movement
- is 2 eagles too much?
- heavily rely on shooting & magic phase
- below average magic defence...
- no hero choice
- extremely mobile

pros
- shooty army
- ld 10 general (w/ sisters' std of discipline// cheap BSB); Mobile
- 1 trueshot unit, 3 hagbane (I feel trueshot can be good situationally)
- loads of small units
- outshoot almost every army
- war machines piece of cake
- loads of double flee
- no unit that my oponent can focus on
- easy splitting up the enemy's forces

I am not sure how I will do against hordes
My main concern is dropping the sisters or not. They provide mobility and safety for my mage and provide this "cheap BSB"

Cheers guys.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2000 list - Feedback appreciated

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It looks pretty good. I feel a BSB would strengthen it though, I would cut Rares and/or Scouts to get one.

If you want to drop the Sisters khyran I'd consider a Unicorn for the level 4 and High Magic.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Nice list.

I'd personally go full GG core.
I'm going to start using a BSB (like phil suggested) next game since I really missed it my last game.

I would drop either the sisters/eagles or some WW for the BSB. I would not go lower than 10 HB scouts myself. Also you could delete champs, standard from the WR.

about your cons:
Just hide the WR early, behind your GG and only get them out when enemy approaches.. at least that is what I usually do.
I think magic defense is fine as long as lvl 4 survivecs.
I would get that BSB like I said.
extremely mobile isn't a con.
relying on shooting and magic isn't a con when those are the strongest points in our army book: it's just being smart.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Generaly good list.
I think that BSB is a must in wood elf armies. Reroll to morale saves are very critic for our lines not to crumble. He generally carry charmed shield for protection against cannons, hail of doom arrow for the last push to kill a character or unit weakened by other units' shooting. He also carry great weapon or spear to clear crippled units or easy targets.

Sisterbus is excellent with their 4++ ward save to protect your spellweaver and BSB, they also know curse of anrehir spell which can be vital. Their fast cav, poisoned javelins and standard of discipline are just icing on the cake. You can drop one of the sisters to bring them to five. They are generally enough in a 5 man unit. They also can use remaining power dice to cast the curse and/or shield spell if your spellweaver fails to cast a spell. Shield of thorns can heal your BSB or spellweaver with its lore attribute.

Two units of glade guard and two units of glade riders are very balanced in your list. People do not like the ambush rule but the ability to enter the battle in your opponent's rear and dancing around the terrain staying always in out of LOS or making a charge in the second turn of entering the battlefield threatens weakbackfield units such as warmachines or backfield archers, spellcasters. They have armour piercing str 4 on the charge spears and as they have ASF they are very killy to these kind of units. I'd give musician to the other glade rider unit, btw.

I'd go with 5 man wild riders and sisters and drop the 6th guy in the unit. You can also drop the champion because for example when you are charging a lone character he can challenge your character to stay out of harm's way.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Good points razorfate but a champion can refuse a challenge with no penalty, pg 102.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Oh i did not know that, thanks Phil
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome.

I wouldn't bother with the champs either but I've seen good players use them sometimes.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Phil Rossiter wrote:You're welcome.

I wouldn't bother with the champs either but I've seen good players use them sometimes.
They might have used it to fill points in a comp army list to stay within comp limits?

I'd only use champs that give +1 attack to a model that only has 1 attack. Else I'd just get more models for the points when uncomped myself.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Champions are good in glade rider units if you are playing against non beatable combat characters such as chaos lords to make challange shengenians and remaining steadfast.
Or congalining the unit with the champion leading them to attack a unit or unkillable bsb in the rear to gain 2 bonus resolition (rear attack+2,charge+1,only champion dies-1)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

razorfate wrote:Champions are good in glade rider units if you are playing against non beatable combat characters such as chaos lords to make challange shengenians and remaining steadfast.
Or congalining the unit with the champion leading them to attack a unit or unkillable bsb in the rear to gain 2 bonus resolition (rear attack+2,charge+1,only champion dies-1)
Not sure what you mean.. if the 5 S6 attacks of the chaos BSB do 4 wounds on the champ that is just over kill for a CR of 4 in his favor right (and not only 1) ? Not sure what the champ really changes there. (Overkill is still in teh current BSB right? or am i mixing up editions again?)
Gorsameth
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gorsameth »

Aezeal wrote:
razorfate wrote:Champions are good in glade rider units if you are playing against non beatable combat characters such as chaos lords to make challange shengenians and remaining steadfast.
Not sure what you mean.. if the 5 S6 attacks of the chaos BSB do 4 wounds on the champ that is just over kill for a CR of 4 in his favor right (and not only 1) ? Not sure what the champ really changes there. (Overkill is still in teh current BSB right? or am i mixing up editions again?)
overkill only counts for challenges and the champion can refuse without penalty.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

As Gorsameth said, overkill only works in challenges.
The glae riders charge as one man in each rank, the champion is at the front. The chaos lord only touches champion and he can only allocate his attacks on him. As the champion is only one wound, chaos lord only gains 1 combat res. We charged from behind to gain 2 more combat res (1 if the chaos character is a BSB).
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

razorfate wrote:As Gorsameth said, overkill only works in challenges.
The glae riders charge as one man in each rank, the champion is at the front. The chaos lord only touches champion and he can only allocate his attacks on him. As the champion is only one wound, chaos lord only gains 1 combat res. We charged from behind to gain 2 more combat res (1 if the chaos character is a BSB).
Ah ok.. I was thinking of a challenge. Ok then I get the tactic.. which is incredible cheesy if I may say so.