Wood Elves and Dwarfs Alliance 2600pts

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Wood Elves and Dwarfs Alliance 2600pts

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello Guys,

now I usually don't post lists before I play them, but in this case I will make an exception. Two friends of mine are practicing for a team tournament, and they asked me to play against them for training. I was offered to borrow some dwarfs, so I am trying to put together a synergetic alliance between dwarfs and wood elves. Here is my idea so far:

Dwarven Vanguard - 1296pts

Dwarf Lord (293pts) (5 wounds, 1+ armour save, 4+ ward, double S vs T5+ and d3 wounds vs T5+)
Shield, Shield Bearers, Rune of Warding (x3), Rune of Might (x2)

Runesmith (128pts) (2+ armour, dispel scroll rune, S4 breath weapon, gives MR1 and AP to unit he joins)
Shield, Fiery Ring of Thori, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spellbreaking

Core (332pts)

18x Longbeards (332pts) (vanguard and MR1)
Full Command, Great Weapons, Rune of Sanctuary, Rune of Strollaz

Special (543pts)

Gyrocopter (100pts)
Steam Gun, Vanguard

27x Ironbreakers (443pts) (vanguard)
Full Command, Rune of Strollaz

Wood Elf Skirmishers - 1298pts

Spellweaver (350pts)
Level 4 Dark, Earthing Rod, Talisman of Preservation, Unicorn

Glade Captain (132pts)
Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Light Armor, Two Hand Weapons

Core (410pts)

12x Glade Guard (190pts)
Musician (10pts), Trueshot Arrows

5x Glade Riders (110pts)
Hagbane Tips

5x Glade Riders (110pts)
Hagbane Tips

Special (356pts)

6x Wild Riders (188pts)
Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame, Shields

6x Wild Riders (168pts)
Shields

Great Eagle

Plan

So both dwarf units can vanguard and my idea is to go to combat as soon as possible. The dwarf lord goes with the ironbreakers, as he is kitted out to deal with toughness 5+ which the ironbreakers struggle against. The runesmith will also go there for armour piercing, though I could put him in the old beards and change the MR rune to the ironbreakers. I took ironbreakers instead of hammerers with the idea that the dwarves soak damage and wood elves deal the pain. I am concerned if the ironbreaker unit is too large, should I cut some for a warmachine or an extra wound for the dwarf lord? The flame ring is there for a combat res boost, but would an upgraded spellbreaker rune be better?

The wood elves are mainly for support and damage, I thought I would try dark magic as the spell to ignore BSB and generals is pretty wicked. Not totally sure on the unicorn, 2+ against spells is nice but maybe I should put her on a steed and let her join wild riders for power of darkness?
Hope you guys can help me out with some wisdom on this.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Wood Elves and Dwarfs Alliance 2600pts

Post by razorfate »

I'd definetly use warmachines, a cannon and an organ gun preferably.
Can the spellweaver join the dwarfs? And i think that the dwarfs loose MR if they are allied with a spellcaster altough i am not sure.
I generally liked the idea to use the elven fast cavalry to hammer the flanks of the units tied with the dwarven anvil units. Vanguarding dwarf units is a good idea. I think you better give the dark weaver an elven stead in case you need to attach him to glade riders so that you will not loose fast cavalry.

Can you attach the spellweaver to dwarven units?

And maybe heavens lore will support the dwarven troops better if you bring cannons to the list.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I'd not go for the glade riders but just a solid line of GG to shoot from behind the dwarves. More gyro's and cannons on the dwarf side. Isn't 27 ironbreakers a bit much? Can't you delete like... 10 or something to get 2 more warmachines?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Think of the Dwarves as the big, fighty, hammer units our armies never had. Old Treekin on steroids if you will. Then fill out your Wood Elves to support the hammers. Don't let the Dwarves languish in the rear! They're slow but they fight like hell so don't stick them out on the flanks. Keep them towards the center so they can go straight for the enemy center of gravity - where ever it is. Get them stuck in ASAP. The Wood Elves job is to plow the road and keep the annoying enemy chaff away from them so they can get to work. The Elves should use the Dwarf blocks as a base of maneuver. Support their flanks and employ firepower to weaken the enemy.

Dwarves loose their extra dispell dice when allied with wizards however those extra spell-breaker runes they can bring are very handy. The Rune Smith is a bit pricey but he may be worth it depending on what you're up against.

Dwarves and Wood Elves are a match made in heaven. My friend who plays Dwarves and I have been teaming up for years. We rarely loose. The speed and maneuverability of the Wood Elves paired with the tough, steady damage-hoses that are the Dwarves is a hard combo to beat.

Bonne Chance.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Can dwarves also get 1+ rerollable? Becuase BSB from chaos annoyed the hell out of me.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Agreeing with Billthesurly.
One more thing to my mind, as far as i know the dwarf players prefer thanes to lords for their lower point costs.
One last thing: Your list needs BSB, dwarves are woundable and you can fail even a ld10 roll with unlucky dice. With a swarven BSB they are pretty fearless.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

I think I will go ahead and cut out some ironbreakers to get a cannon in there, preferably with the rune of "never blow up". Think I will skip the organ gun, as it kinda requires a master engineer to work out.

No rerolls on armour for the dwarves, sadly. I see the point on the expensive lord, and I might slash him. I just really like the idea of those runes of might. I guess what I could do instead was going with 2 runesmith and change the ironbreakers into hammerers. This might give me enough for some warmachines as well without cutting the main unit too much. The main unit will lose some survivability, but gain offensiveness. All the dwarves will be S6 with AP, not bad.

By the way, I put my BSB with the wood elves. The idea is that he will stay behind the dwarves in a unit of GG with trueshot arrows, I will probably be able to shoot over the heads of the dwarves anyway!

I'll write a list based on these changes and post it tomorrow. Thanks again!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Mind that Lobgbeards allows you to reroll failed break tests on units within a certain range (I think 12", but I'm unsure about it).
You could easily get away without BSB in range of your dwarven blocks.

I'd also consider Iron Drakes in place of Iron Breakers. They're pretty insane at shooting and very good in combat too.
With the vanguard rune you'll have them always in good spots for shooting and once your opponents get to them, they can defend themselves pretty well.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

How many ranks of irondrakes can fire?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

ooooh, interesting! Will have to look into iron drakes for sure. Two strength 6 attacks from hammerers is tempting though!

Also good point about the longbeards reroll LD rule, will have to read up on that.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Revised list for dwarves:

Dwarf Lord (299pts) - 1+, 4++, 5W, S8 D3 wounds versus T5+
Dwarf Pistol, Shield, Shield Bearers, Rune of Warding (x3), Rune of Might (x2)

Runesmith (113pts) - 2+ armour save, auto dispel with 50% chance to remove spell permanently
Shield, Rune of Stone (5pts), Rune of Spellbreaking (x2)

Core (332pts)
18x Longbeards (332pts) - vanguard and MR1
Full Command, Rune of Sanctuary (x1), Rune of Strollaz, Great Weapons

Special (245pts)
Cannon (145pts) - Reroll misfire on artillery dice
Rune of Forging

Gyrocopter (100pts)
Steam Gun, Vanguard

Rare (310pts)
17x Irondrakes (310pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Rune of Strollaz

So I was very tempted by those iron drakes, they have 1 less armour and 1 less ward save than the ironbreakers but they get to shoot with S5. They will have to go 10 wide at first and then reform once they hit combat, a bit risky if too many things get into them. I suppose i could just stay in a 5 formation, but then I only get 7 shots. Otherwise I can simply swift reform when i get too close to the enemy. They are probably better with slowness runes on their banner, but I didn't want to break the vanguard theme. Tempting to get hand of glory for these guys, but I don't think high magic synergize too well with the dwarves except from that. I kept the dwarf lord even though he may not be top par, he is just very cool. The gun on the lord is there because i had 7 points, could go +1 Initiative instead. The old beards only provide rerolls for panic tests, so I still need a BSB nearby.

Revised list for Wood Elves:

Lords (310pts)
Spellweaver (310pts)
Earthing Rod, Talisman of Preservation, Level 4 Dark Magic, Elven Steed

Glade Captain (132pts)
Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Light Armor, Two Hand Weapons

Core (335pts)
11x Glade Guard (175pts)
Musician, Trueshot Arrows

10x Glade Guard (160pts)
Musician, Trueshot Arrows

Special (465pts)
6x Wild Riders (188pts)
Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame, Shields

9x Wild Riders (277pts)
Standard Bearer, Lichebone Pennant, Shields

Great Eagle (50pts)

Changed away from the unicorn, not happy about no look-out-sir. I put the MR banner on a big unit of wild riders to provide her with 3+ against spells (power of darkness a bit worrying without it) and the bigger number of wild riders should ensure look-out-sir rolls. I also changed the glade riders into more trueshot glade guard, as their most important job is to remove chaff and warmachines so waiting for turn 2 or 3 really isn't very useful. Wondering whether I should put hagbane on one of the units.

Thanks for the comments everyone, it was very helpful.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Some poison shooting is always good to have in a list, but the places you could include a decent amount of poison arrows is on your glade guard. And since you will have such a strong offensive element to this combined list, you will be shooting through units sooner rather than later, so trueflight maybe the way to go here. And on top of it you have reliable str5 shooting, so you will still be able to threaten most things on the table at range, instead of being limited to str3 bows, which is usually why poison is taken.

I'd also be tempted to drop 2 wild riders from the bigger unit to add the unicorn back onto the darkweaver. He/she becomes a much bigger threat commanders underestimate when you've got high strength attacks on the charge, an extra point of toughness and MR2. Plus additional ranks of wild riders are a bit underwhelming due to how supporting attacks work.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hey sunstrider,

this is a very old post you replied to. What happened was that we had some communication problems which resulted in another guy bringing two armies as well. This meant that we could have a proper 2v2, but that me and the other guy had to choose just one of the armies we designed each. Thus our synergy wasn't the strongest. It was ogres and wood elves versus empire and undead legions.

Lately I haven't been able to play much, just got a new job that is taking up all of my time plus I will be moving soon. I do have a small tournament next week, hope to be able to report from that.

Thanks for the comment though, it was fun to design a team-army and you made some good points on that.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Oh my bad >.< I forgot to look at the timestamp, I'm just used to threads getting bumped more often on this forum I guess

That's a shame that you weren't able to try out your meticulously planned army, it sounded really cool. And the whole idea of splitting your points in half and playing 2 different armies at once opens up tons of strategic and tactical possibilities to an already complex game. Noice.

Good luck on your new job btw, I just graduated from uni so I'm looking for my first big boy job now >.<