Teaching game

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Teaching game

Post by Tarothin »

Hi all,
I was asked by a new player to show him how the game works this Friday. He has his orcs and goblins, not really sure what models. He already has a 1000 pt list ready that he wants to try. Obviously we will go over his list and make sure it fits limits et cetera. And we will probably play some smaller games too. My question to the forum was If the list I wrote would be good for a teaching game or what else should I take if not. (Warning I have no bird models so Eagles and Warhawks won't be an option)

My list:
Highweaver lvl 4 bow and steed (245)

Glade guard x10 trueflight 150
Glade guard x10 hagbane 150

Sisters of the Thorn x5 130
Deep Wood Scouts x5 hagbane 80

Treeman stranglroots 245

My thoughts were this has magic, hagbanes to show poison and how BS shooting penalties work, fast cab to show movement/ vanguard, scouts to show alt deployments, and a Treeman to show monsters. Again I dont want to tailor vs O&G as I want to teach him the rules and showcase different parts of the game and hopefully he'll have fun too.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Teaching game

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Might be worth putting a block in to demonstrate infantry v infantry combat?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

This is a very archery/magic focused list. I would also write a quick second list that is focused on combat with a minimum of shooting or magic to let him get a feel for a list that won't be a non-engagement list.

Remember that these teaching lists don't need to be heavily optimized or power lists since the focus is not to beat him but rather to give him a sense that he can win and get a feel for how to handle his troops in a variety of situations.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

What about dropping some glade gaurd for some dryads and perhaps make your level 4 a level 2 so you can have more dryads. Close combat is a major part of O&G army.

Edit; Wow I'm slow at typing, two of you beat me to it :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

That's what I was thinking thanks for the confirmation. I'll probably drop the lvl 4 to a lvl 2. Maybe get a naked bsb to show re-roll value (much more important for O&G than us) and trade some glade guard for dryads
Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

How about:

Branch wraith
Bsb naked

Dryads x15 nymph
Dryads x15 nymph

Scouts x5 hagbane
Sisters x5 champ standard

Treeman stranglroots

Still has monster, bs shooting, fast cav, scouts/skirmishes, magic, bsb re roll, combat blocks, champs to show challenges
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Rather than try to fit everything into one list, I would make 2 or 3 lists and play a few fast games. Right now your list tries to put in just about everything into one list and it could end up overwhelming your friend as he tries to absorb the entire game at once. If you play a few games that try to focus on one or two concepts I think it will give each one a better chance to be picked up.

Game 1: Straight up infantry vs infantry. If you take dryads, don't get him bogged down in all the psychology rules at first.
Game 2: Infantry + Shooting.
Game 3: Same as above but really play around with his battle line and get him to grapple with how to preserve his flanks.
Game 4: Add Monsters.
Game 5: Add scouts.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

I take your point about trying to fit too much in one list as being overwhelming. I guess I just wanted to make sure to get the most of whatever time we have to play. I didn't want to forget something and leave him without an important part of the game/strategy. I think I'll try to write up a few different lists as you suggest. Getting the basics is important too. I just want to make sure he learns some and has fun. (Hence no wild riders in the lists haha). I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't optimizing too hard against someone with no experience. Thanks for all the input!
Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Having recently tried teaching my son the game I would say keep it simple keep it fun. I totally ignored the magic phase in the first few games just to get used to the mechanics of the basic shooting and fighting. Ditch magic missiles too. Introduce that later or you'll just baffle.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Yeah for a learning game I'd suggest

Lvl 2
BSB

10 glade guard
20 dryads

5 scouts
and I guess a treeman no strangle roots.

What ever left over points you have maybe more dryads in one block. you just want him to experience a simple game. no out maneuvering too much no overwhelming magic and simple shooting and combat.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

Fair enough suggestions. I've actually come up with about 5 lists to play against them with increasing complexity. And focusing on different things I figured we would get to however many games we get to. I just wanted to avoid things like wild riders that can be discouraging if you'be never seen them before. And waywatchers which have too many exception rules and can be frustrating.
Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

These teaching games are happening tomorrow. I might post about them after just for my thoughts on what went well and what didn't in case anyone ends up in a similar situation. Any last comments/concerns/tips are more than welcome.
Thanks again to previous posters and in advance to anyone else that posts.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Good luck hope they are fun for your friend thats the most important part. Don't want arguing on the first day HAHAHA
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
McGreeny
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by McGreeny »

Hey Tarothin, Id love to hear how your teaching games went! Any thoughts?
Tarothin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tarothin »

Pretty well indeed. We got through a lot of rules even though I brought 0 shooting. He brought arrer boyz. He is now up and running his orcs. Still learning of course but doing well. I wish I had brought something other than life though to show magic missiles. His Orc shaman miscast twice and killed my singer. No magic after turn 2 haha