2500 For Burning Man

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hectors Wrath
Newcomer
Newcomer

2500 For Burning Man

Post by Hectors Wrath »

Hi all,

I am playing my beloved Woodys in a Tournament in a weeks time and would like some advice on the list please.

There are some restrictions:

Max 70 Shots
Max 40 Hagbane / True Flight
Max 16 Waywatchers (which count as 2 shots each)

My List:

Spell Weaver, Lvl 4, Metal, Staed, Obsidean Amulet

20 Glade Guard, Mus, Banner, Hagbane

20 Glade Guard, Mus Banner, True Flight

10 Glade Guard, Mus, Starfire

5 Sisters, Mus, Banner

6 Wardancers, Champ

3 Warhawk Riders

7 Wild Riders, Champ

7 Wild Riders, Champ

6 Wild Riders, Champ

Great Eagle

8 Way Watchers

My question is do I take 6 Tree Kin to act as a guard for the Glade Guard along with the Wardancers, and act as a anvil, or do I go more mobile and go for The Sisters?

Any hep appreciated.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2500 For Burning Man

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'm not sure about Metal as a stand-alone Lore, it can be a bit lacking vs armies without much armour. I'd definitely add a dispel scroll, auto-stopping a key spell can be priceless. BSB is not essential but would strengthen the list IMHO, especially vs Panic, would also help Fortitude.

I believe you're over the shot cap, I count 74 including the Sisters. I'd be tempted to drop the Starfire, the biggest Regen worry is Chimerae and Searing Doom helps with that. I'd bump the Sisters up a bit, Look out Sir is a bit fragile as it stands. I don't think Treekin fit the rest of the list as well.
Hectors Wrath
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hectors Wrath »

Hi thanks for the reply,

The Spell Weaver does have a scroll, sorry I should of said,

I chose metal, because what I struggle with is High AS models, low AS stuff can be dealt with with wild riders, archers etc.

I want the Starfire as I believe I will be facing quite a few army's from the forces of destruction, and it also takes away regen.

Good point about the number of shots (I forgot the bows on the war hawks) I think I will have to lose a glade guard.

Was wondering what people think of the sisters on an eagle or Treekin?
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Why don't you drop some Glade Guards (the 10 starfire and a couple of the others) for 6 Glade Riders with Starfire?
You save some shots and Glade Riders have more chance to get where needed other than harassing backfields for warmachines.

I also agree with Phil about bumping up SotT and taking a second spellcaster.
You could drop a unit of WR to find some points and run a scroll caddy on Metal.
The Weaver could then be moved to another lore. High Magic (great synergy with Sisters), Shadow (great synergy with WE in general) or Heavens (more ranged support) are all good choices along Metal.
Heavens in particular, could be taken on a L2 sitting back in Glade Guards if you like to keep the Metalweaver.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I take the point about armour. To be honest the list might be strongest with 16 Waywatchers for that, even if it costs you other shots. Otherwise Metal covers you but I agree with NonnoSte, a second mage would be good. Daemons and elves won't fear Metal alone. The temptation under this comp is to max out Wild Riders but I think you could afford to drop one unit.

Starfire has it's points but it depends how much Regen you expect to see. Hydras (old book) etc used to be everywhere but not so much these days IMHO. Trolls, Crypt Horrors are taken but these are slower. The really urgent need is pretty much only Chimerae IMHO because they fly. The issue is whether those Starfire shots are costing you Waywatchers which may be stronger in general.

Sisters on eagle depends how the tournament FAQ's them I feel. Is this the comp set where Fortitude is important?
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I would only take 25% (minimum for core in GG). For the rest I'd take scouts or waywatchers. Skirmishing on the scouts makes them so mobile. In my last game my waywatchers where able to dance around the enemy once those reached my lines while the GG just had to stand there and take the hits. (a unit of coldones 3 left after WW shooting) charged 12 GG : won combat and overran to 1" of the board edge and the WW just danced around them and to the side (out of the front arc of the witchelves which where close behind) and they just kept shooting and shooting: killed coldones and the witch elves.

Not to mention that -1 to hit helps a lot when trading with other archers (our elves + arrows are expensive).

Personally I'd not take the GR.. I've never had no target for my GG yet.

I would not take metal either: depending on what armies you encounter I'd just take high or life or shadows myself. I like their 6th spell better than final transmutation too... of course it sort of depends on the enemies you'll encounter.. S test might not be so good vs chaos, and I test not so nice vs elves.
Hectors Wrath
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hectors Wrath »

Thanks for the replies,

I like having the 2 units of 20 GG as I can place them in my forest, which I chose as venom thicket, fire and fight in 3 ranks, enemy have to take a DT to get into combat.

I take the point about the wild riders, but with a shot count limited to 70 then I need a unit that can get into a position to threaten enemy units.

I usually take Shadow, but with the Chaos book I need to be able to take down +1 AS Demon Princes, Juggers and other units.

The rules say they are using the ETC rules so they have 3 T4 wounds that regenerate at the end of every phase, which makes them VERY vulnerable, so should I take the 6 Treekin instead?

Or perhaps take a 1v1l Metal and a Lvl 4 Shaddow, with the extra spent on 3 treekin?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Hectors Wrath wrote:Or perhaps take a 1v1l Metal and a Lvl 4 Shaddow
This looks good to me. Boosted Searing Doom is a 6-die cast, which is risky for a lvl4, much better on a lvl1. This spell deals with Crushers but a Daemon Prince will pack a 2+ Ward vs Fire. Withering followed by Waywatchers is one idea, though Mindrazor looks more reliable. Switch the dispel scroll to the lvl1 and you can fit Power Scroll on the lvl4, letting you sneak razor through on two dice maybe.

If you have points left over I would spend them on characters. Given the comp they'll do more for the army than further troops.
Hectors Wrath
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hectors Wrath »

Final List Choices:

Spellweaver lvl 4 Shadow, Scroll, Obsidian Amulet, Mount in Sisters

Spellsinger lvl2 Metal, Power Stone In GG

BSB, HoD, Hagbane in GG

19 GG, Full Command, Hagbane

19 GG, Full Command, True Flight

5 Sisters, Banner, Musc

5 Wardancers, Champ

3 Warhawks

7 Wild Riders, Champ

7 Wild Riders, Champ

6 Wild Riders, Champ

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

7 Way Watchers

7 Way Watchers
Hectors Wrath
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hectors Wrath »

Alternate version

Spellweaver lvl 4 Shadow, Scroll, Obsidian Amulet, Mount in Sisters

Spellsinger lvl1 Metal, Power Stone In GG

19 GG, Full Command, Hagbane

19 GG, Full Command, True Flight

5 Sisters, Banner, Musc

6 Treekin

5 Wardancers, Champ

3 Warhawks

7 Wild Riders, Champ

7 Wild Riders, Champ

6 Wild Riders, Champ

Great Eagle

7 Way Watchers

7 Way Watchers
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

I like better the first option and I see it very strong.
Only slight change I could think of is to take just 6 WR in each of the units and bump sisters up to 7 if you intend to use them as a bunker.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I'm not sure I'd like the powerstone on a lvl 1-2 mage. It's nice to 6 dice a large spell when the opponent thinks you only have 4 dice and can't really cast it and only had like 4 dice himself. So I'd put the scroll on the lvl 1 and the stone on the lvl 4. (ow wait I read the plan about 6 dicing with the boosted searing doom.. I guess that can be a strat too).

I think you can drop the BSB like in the 2nd list but then I'd still keep a lvl 2.

I'd put the GG in 3 units. If the enemy reaches a unit they'll only break and overrun them one at a time.. keep a few shots alive for a few more rounds: might be important in the end. A unit of TF could just start directly behind a unit of HB in the same forest.

I'd agree with getting more sisters if you want to use them as a bunker but that means you increase shots again. Personally I skip the sisters and keep my mages in the GG. As soon as anything comes into charge range I just let the mage jump out of the unit (to another unit or even just as a single model). That way you would have some more shots and points for scouts.

How do you intend to play btw? charge ahead with the cav? or keep them back? If you keep them back you don't really need much other to defend the GG I think and you can certainly skip the treekin if you'd like.

Warmachines wil be a problem for you. I've noticed that warhawks can rather easily be intercepted, certainly when they are alone.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Do Sisters count towards shot number?
Then I'm afraid you're over your limit already in lista:
1(BSB)+38(GG)+5(sis)+3(WHR)+14*2(WW)=75

I thought it was a bow count, since it looks like sisters are the ones over.