My 1st Wood Elves List

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hamarin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, WofC, Ogre Kingdoms, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Demons, Nids

My 1st Wood Elves List

Post by Hamarin »

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well & enjoying the hobby/gaming!

Here's my first wood elves list trying to run with the units I like & own etc.

Any helpful tips & advice would be great, thinking about one big block of wild riders but like the manuvelbility of small units.

I know some may not approve of the 2x10 waywatcher units.

Any pointers on character builds etc.

So here goes.......!

+++ Wood Elves (2491pts) +++

++ Wood Elves - Army Book (2014-5) -V8.8.0. (Standard) ++

+ Lords +

Spellweaver [(BRB) Talisman of Preservation, Asrai Longbow, High Magic, Level 4]

Spellweaver [(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Asrai Longbow, Level 4, Lore of Shadow]

+ Heroes +

Spellsinger [(BRB) Dispel Scroll, Lore of Death]

Glade Captain [(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow, (BRB) Enchanted Shield, Battle Standard, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon]

Waystalker [(AB) The Bow of Loren]

Glade Captain [(BRB) Potion of Strength, Great Weapon, Hagbane Tips]

+ Core +

Glade Guard [Musician, Standard Bearer]
15x Glade Guard [15x Hagbane Tips]

Glade Guard [Musician]
12x Glade Guard [12x Trueflight Arrows]

Glade Guard [Musician]
12x Glade Guard [12x Trueflight Arrows]

+ Special +

Wild Riders [Musician, Standard Bearer]
6x Wild Riders [6x Shields]

Wild Riders [Musician, Standard Bearer]
6x Wild Riders [6x Shields]

+ Rare +

Great Eagle [Great Eagle]

Great Eagle [Great Eagle]

Waywatchers [10x Waywatchers]

Waywatchers [10x Waywatchers]
May your arrows fly true!
Hachiman Taro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: My 1st Wood Elves List

Post by Hachiman Taro »

Looks good to me.

I don't know much but from what I've seen it seems like effectiveness wise maybe you could use the points on the 3rd spell caster, waystalker, second (non BSB) glade captain, bows on wizards and wild rider standard / musicians on some mobility (steeds) for your characters + a Sisters of the Thorn unit to protect them (+cast). The dispel scroll goes to one of the lv4's. If points left over maybe even another small wild rider unit. Everyone seems to keep on saying mobility is great for wood elves.

That might not fit with your models though. Think your list would work reasonably well from what I have seen. I'm no expert though.
Hamarin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, WofC, Ogre Kingdoms, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Demons, Nids

Post by Hamarin »

Hachiman Taro wrote:Looks good to me.

I don't know much but from what I've seen it seems like effectiveness wise maybe you could use the points on the 3rd spell caster, waystalker, second (non BSB) glade captain, bows on wizards and wild rider standard / musicians on some mobility (steeds) for your characters + a Sisters of the Thorn unit to protect them (+cast). The dispel scroll goes to one of the lv4's. If points left over maybe even another small wild rider unit. Everyone seems to keep on saying mobility is great for wood elves.

That might not fit with your models though. Think your list would work reasonably well from what I have seen. I'm no expert though.
Hey there

Thanks for taking the time to read my list & reply it's appreciated.

I could make a sisters bus for my casters would just need to convert so mounted spell weavers.

I have plenty of wood elves on the way & yesterday as a late birthday present the wife got me the 3 treemen & 36 dryads box set

I shall play around with what I have & add some mounted casters in the near future.

Mainly play against Skaven, VC, Ogre Kingdoms & High Elves.

Cheers again!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I don't think the Spellsinger and second Glade Captain bring enough here. I'd move the scroll to a lvl4 and drop them for more troops. I would put some Magic Resistance on one of the mages to protect the bunker from Magic Missiles/Direct Damage and the characters from snipe spells. A second Arcane Item would be a good move. I'd put musicians on the Core for Swift Reforms, so they can shoot better.

Sisters bus is fine but so is the set-up here. I can think of a few cases where 2x10 Waywatchers is overkill but not many. It's a very solid all-comers pick.
Hamarin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hamarin »

Phil Rossiter wrote:I don't think the Spellsinger and second Glade Captain bring enough here. I'd move the scroll to a lvl4 and drop them for more troops. I would put some Magic Resistance on one of the mages to protect the bunker from Magic Missiles/Direct Damage and the characters from snipe spells. A second Arcane Item would be a good move. I'd put musicians on the Core for Swift Reforms, so they can shoot better.

Sisters bus is fine but so is the set-up here. I can think of a few cases where 2x10 Waywatchers is overkill but not many. It's a very solid all-comers pick.

Hey there

Many thanks for your time in reading my list & I can see by dropping some heroes will benefit across the board.

Shall have a think & post up a adjusted list

Cheers again
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Hi Hamarin,

I'd not use Moonstone if there is no acorn of ages because i generally stuck with only one forest which i bring with my self.
I prefer to mount the spellweavers and put them in sisters' bus to protect them by moving out of charge arcs.
I used the waystalker with Bow of Loren one time and he was not very efficient to kill the damsel or the fay enchantress, but hope that you get better luck with him.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome Hamarin.

Moonstone is wood-dependent. Two plus the free one is plenty. But just one to start with turns Moonstone into a pure ejector seat.
Hamarin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hamarin »

Yeah I'm thinking I need the acorn in my list, I can see me buying another 2 woods. Really enjoying the list building side of WE. Played WofC for a longtime & it's easy build time. Take this, this, this & smash em up lol!
Hamarin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hamarin »

How's this folks,

Have included the acorn to make the moonstone worth it, the shadow weaver goes with a unit of waywatchers, the high weaver hops in with the hag bane glade guard, the beast Mage with the block of dryads to buff them.

I could drop the dryads & beast Mage for more glade guard & bigger wild rider units?

+++ Asrai (2498pts) +++

++ Wood Elves - Army Book (2014-5) -V8.8.0. (Standard) ++

+ Lords +

Aydamara - Spellweaver [(AB) Acorns of the Ages, High Magic, Level 4]

Nlani - Spellweaver [(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, (BRB) Talisman of Preservation, Level 4, Lore of Shadow]

+ Heroes +

Dartala - Spellsinger [(BRB) Dispel Scroll, Lore of Beasts]

Ehloduin - Glade Captain [(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow, (BRB) Enchanted Shield, Battle Standard, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon]

Hamarin - Waystalker [(AB) The Bow of Loren]

+ Core +

Dryads [20x Dryads]

Glade Guard [Musician]
10x Glade Guard [10x Trueflight Arrows]

Glade Guard [Musician]
10x Glade Guard [10x Trueflight Arrows]

Glade Guard [Musician, Standard Bearer]
12x Glade Guard [12x Hagbane Tips]

+ Special +

Wild Riders
5x Wild Riders [5x Shields]