Dual Unicorn List

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Dual Unicorn List

Post by bjoernuhlig »

Here is a list I take to a local friendly turney. Its a year long event, we play when we find time. We are definitely a beer and pizza group.
Here is a link to the Battle Reports http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28570#p349317 (None There yet)

"Dual Unicorn List"

Spellweaver (370pts) Crown of Command Scroll 5++ High Magic, Level 4 on a Unicorn
Spellweaver (380pts) Fencer's Blades Power Stone 4++ Dark Magic, Level 4 on a Unicorn
Glade Captain (159pts) Hail of Doom Arrow Obsidian Trinket BSB Elven Steed Great Weapon

18x Glade Guard (300pts) Musician Trueflight Arrows Standard Bearer with Banner of Eternal Flame
5x Glade Riders (110pts) Hagbane Tips

5x Deepwood Scouts (80pts) Hagbane Tips
3x Warhawk Riders (135pts)
6x Wild Riders (168pts) Shields
6x Wild Riders (156pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)
Great Eagle (50pts)
8x Waywatchers (160pts)
8x Waywatchers (160pts)

Rules: Not EoT. 8th Ed. with latest FAQS. (50% + Lore of Undeath)
Special rules: Fixed lists with hidden magic items pool (that is character magic item allowances and magic banners) evrything else is fixed. 2500 max. No Comp.
Players: Dwarfs, Lizards, Warriors, Skaven, Dwarfs, Night Gobelins, and Wood Elves. (I know, so much T4... :crazy: )
I very much appreciate comments.

And I am veery slow with uploading. :)
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: Dual Unicorn List

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi, interesting take with the High/Dark combo.
At that point, tough, I would have gone crazy on characters and give the Stag to the BSB. The unit of Characters remains the safest place for all the 3 of them.

Just a question? why the BoEF on GG?
Is it just for the flaming HoDA turn1? why not on a unit of WR, then?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

:thumbsup:
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by bjoernuhlig »

Hey. Thanks for comments. I posted my opponents lists in the other thread.

THe stag is to exp. imo. And its not Fast Cav. Unicorn is (EDIT*** Its NOT. Looked it up. anyways...). The Dark and High Weaver can stick together until Counters are up and the Dark Girl gets some Wounds with Soul stealin, then shes off on her own. A stag would slow them down, too bulky. Thats my thoughts there, but I havent tested it ever. It would defenitely add to the character of the list. And its doable, as opposed to a stagbus.

Flaming Banner. Yeah. My thoughts were to kill the regen chimera turn one. Turns out, the guy who plays WoC brings a NoRegen Chimera. Oh well. That really was my only reason. Its too late to switch. My list is published with no taking back. There wont be any regen monster in the tournament. So no banner in the WR either. The BSB is supposed to go into the WR, his survival is not my prime concern. I rather sacrifice him to let others live.

Oh yeah, and I am allowed to switch magic lore around, but I prolly wont do that. Dark and High is a very straightforward AND very subtle combination which throws of any opponent.
Arcane Unforging for Slann Demon Prince, Runelord, etc.
Hand of Glory on True Guards (thats my first spell every magic phase).
Soulstealin for Slaves, chaos dogs, gobelins, skinks (T2 !),
The signatures are so awesome in both lores (wont need Power of Darkness in this list but it would still work)
the killer combinations in dark magic with lowering WS and then testing on it etc.
And magic does not have to work for this list to function. It is really designed to play for points and to play the board. If I have good magic phases this list shines, if I throw snake eyes its ok as i am not depending on magic (with the exception of Hand of Glory for Trueguards. 16 shots on 2s. On entrenched warmachines, against an activ skaven storm banner, against whatever. The trueguards are actually my secret favorite unit in the list for they are reliable above anyone else.

So, thx for commenting and the thumbs up. I will listen to all good advice to make this list better. It is actually this list i am collecting, but i am playing with a lot of subs (mostly made of night gobelins :roll: ) still (watch my 8 Squiqhoppers... erm, waywtchers...)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

The flaming banner on the GG wouldn't kill a chimaera even if it could regen... you do know that.. it would only do something for the GG in melee.. I doubt you can get the GG in melee in turn 1 and I doubt you would want to want that.
Against so much T4 I'd consider going full hagbanes.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Hmm, Stagbus is not so bad you know.

I don't think Unforging is especially good vs a Daemon Prince. A no Regen Chimaera is a dead Chimaera.
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by bjoernuhlig »

? Melee only? my gw Shop Plays it with Range? Missed i something? (damn u autocorrect for capitalizing)
well as ist no regen i am fairly save and i will prolly use another Banner on the gg then.
EDIT: Got me curious and i checked FAQs and BRB. quote: a unit has flaming attacks special rule (free from german). no FAQ entry.
EDIT2: I start collecting topics in the other thread to answer comprehensively after the fights. Banner choice and Arrow choice and BSB performance so far.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

It works from range indeed.
What it does not work with are the enchanted arrows.
BoEF doesn't work with magical weapons and our arrows are ruled as being shot from magical weapons.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, it won't work on Enchanted Arrows but it will on Hail of Doom.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Yeah, it's been mentioned in multiple places by now.
Even here. ;)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I mentioned it because there seemed to be a misunderstanding on this between bjoernuhlig and Aezeal, that didn't appear to have been cleared up.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Oh, ok...
I didn't noticed.
I just thought you thought... You know, virtual misunderstanding.

didn't meant to be rude.

Still, with a mounted BSB I'd prefer to shoot the flaming HoDA from WR or SotT. Vanguard also helps greatly to have good turn1 targets.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

That's cool.

I agree, on cav makes sense here.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

Love the idea, of the Jedi/Sith mages. As I have two Unicorns, going to paint the other one up dark. The Stag rider in the unit is a great idea too. :D
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by bjoernuhlig »

HoDA. Erm,
I knew about magical and flaming attacks, but totally blanked this time. I really thought they get to have ranged magical flaming attacks.
(Gleaming penant it is now.) Thank you guys for clarifying my lapsus. The only reason to bring the flaming banner now would be to trigger fear in cav-chargers, but thats to chancy.

As I mentioned, it is too late to change the list now but I collect all good advice and questions and reccomendations in the bat-trep thread. Once I had the games I will see to answer or discuss how the list worked out and how those recommendations, imo, would have made a difference. Having considered the flaming banner for the GG is already a first mistake - "Lesson Learned". But I will just switch it out for the gleaming penant, as in 2 out of three test games I played the unit ran after failing a panic test (with my tactics the BSB is somewhere on the field, just never close enough to the trueguard unit).

Another point: I gathered some great ideas from the "sisters and mages bus thread" thats rocks the forum atm. My focus there is the discussion about the right lore combinations for 2 level 4s. Remember, the rules for this tournament state that Magic lores and items can be switched.
Usually, High and Dark is my first choice, for fluffyness and for pure AWESOME. The Sith/Jedi combo is just so cool. I will keep this combination vs Skaven and Gobelins, and vs Lizardmen as well. Vs Dwarfs and vs WoC I consider switching to Shadow/Death or High/Shadow or Life/Shadow (vs WoC) and High/Heavens (vs Dwarfs). I am yet undecided.
Hachiman Taro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hachiman Taro »

How about High / Death? Protects and helps you getting close to unleash deadly death snipes and keeps the light / dark connection. But I don't like dark that much.

Life / Death is cool too. Lots of fun variations!
Wu Kong
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Goblins

Post by Wu Kong »

I don't have my book with me, but I'm a little confused by BoEF not working with Enchanted arrows. I was under the impression that our Enchanted Arrows were considered "Enchanted Items," which don't restrict you from carrying another Enchanted Item. I am aware that it makes our attacks magical, but with the HoDA being an Enchanted Item, I was under the impression that it was also magical attacks.

I guess I just don't understand why HoDA would be unrestricted by this, while the Enchanted arrows are. The arrows are not considered "magic weapons," but are magical attacks, correct? Does BoEF specifically restrict magical attacks from benefiting from it? Cause I think that would also apply to HoDA in that case. Otherwise, I don't see why our arrows wouldn't benefit from BoEF.

I like the list, though. I am a big fan of Monster Cav. I have been playing around with Stags and Unicorns a lot lately. I hope it goes well!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

There is no problem per se with an attack being both Magical and Flaming.

The issue is page 69, where it states that attacks made with Magic Weapons are unaffected by the Flaming Attacks Special Rule. Page 37 of the WE book states that Enchanted Arrow shots count as being made with Magic Weapons, hence are unaffected.

But Hail of Doom Arrow is not a Magic Weapon and nowhere does it say that it counts as such in any way.