Dragon List for West Coast GT

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Dragon List for West Coast GT

Post by Phazael »

Glade Lord on Forest Dragon, Shield, Obsidian Blade, Armor of Destiny
Spell Weaver on Unicorn, Hex Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, L4 High
Glade Captain on Stag, BSB, Asrai Spear, Starfire Arrows, Enchanted Shield, 5++ Ward, OTS
Shadowdancer, L1 Mage of Shadow, Dispel Scroll
Waystalker

20 Glade Guard, Banner, Musician, Trueflight Arrows, Scarecrow Banner
25 Eternal Guard, Full Command, Gleaming Pendant

6 Wild Riders, Shields, Banner
6 Wild Riders, Shields, Banner

Eagle
Eagle

http://warhammergt.wix.com/event
This is this event's third year and while I toyed with the idea of bringing an Ogre list, I ultimately realized that I had always been the softest army in the room the last two, so I figured I would keep the trend going. At least, as far as the shaky Swedish Comp is concerned....

Ok, so first the cons: It has a lot of points tied up in some very frail characters. Without the Sisters units, it is very thin in the monster hunting and magic utility department. The Wild Rider units are much smaller than I like to run them. It is a little light on fortitude for this kind of list. There are no Waywatchers. The entire army depends on the dragon doing well against hard targets. The BSB is not as well protected in this army as I would like it to be. Finally, I have to get a dragon painted up in the next couple weeks, which will be tricky for me as I still have bad nerve damage in my thumb from a cut long ago and I was never that good of a painter to begin with.

Now the pros: Aside from some of the fast cavalry bits I normally take, it has every toy I like in the army in there in some form. While smaller than normal, the Wild Rider units have shields and with the way I suicide them every game anyhow, they are a lot more expendable. I get to use my nice converted Eagle models, though one used to be my BSB I doubt anyone will care about a guy on one of the models. The shadowdancer has some really neat tricks you can pull with her in conjunction with the Eternal Guard and your free forest. I never really rolled 4++ wards worth a damn on my BSB before, so the minor defensive downgrade probably won't even be noticed. I really like dragons and have two awesome models to work on for the one I want to field. It has both the dispel scroll and froggy scroll in there. Finally, it comps a whopping 16.2 in the Swedish system that this event plans to use, despite being really not much of a downgrade from my normal list that comps 11.5 in the same system.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Dragon List for West Coast GT

Post by Mollesvinet »

Looking good!

You have the hex-scroll in there, kakwah would be proud :D

Unicorn is also a nice choice, as your opponent will struggle what to shoot at (at least before building up counters). Between the two, I think your BSB will be safe from most shooting and magic. Having a healing spell will be good with the dragon around.

I really like having the eternal guard around along with the dragon, a dual charge should be able to break most opponents now that you have ranks.

You may have no waywatchers, but at least you have the waystalker to help out on armour after he takes care of important champions. I suppose you didn't put bow of loren on him because of comp penalty.

Only thing that catches my eye is the obsidian blade. It has its moments against knights I suppose, but in most cases I would prefer increased strength.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Ehy Phazael,

it's good to read from you again, since you always come up with funny ideas, which eventually do work really well.

I like the list too and apart what Mollesvinet already said, there's not much to comment on it.
Out of curiosity, why the Obsidian Blade instead of the more common set-up of AoD, Ogre Blade, DB Gem, PoF? With elven lords I always found it hard to wound before AS even came into play.
I used to run it on a Death Hag on Cauldron (you lose the attack of the additional hand weapon anyway) with the Khaine Rune (+D3 attacks), but poison really helped there.

I guess you're planning on run your two characters like this. Am I right?
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

Addressing some comments:

Bow of Loren-
Couple reasons here: I am pretty tight on points at this point. Also, occasionally, some joker will run BOTWD and deathstar their characters in the unit and being able to snipe without the shot granting a 2++ is more useful than a second no armor shot. Mostly my WS is used to poke out champs and chip out scroll caddies. When he is not doing that, he is a sacrificial scout. So, the bow was not something I needed and in fact would hamper him in certain cases.

Obsidian Blade-
The dragon is already delivering the S6 heat, so I am mostly concerned with the 1+ rerollable armor guys. Also, I am prepping for a strong elf metagame and being able to skunk those high armor save elf combat characters is a major plus.

Plans for Characters-
Normally, they all fly around solo, though I usually start them inside the infantry units during deployment. The only time I combine characters together is specifically to put the BSB and Unicorn together to defend against early Cacophonics or death magic. Normally, I need that Unicorn girl running around wreaking havoc with her counters in late combats, however. She is kind of my ace in the hole and high magic outright confounds people.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Makes sense against the armoured elves. Thanks for the insight.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Absolutely love it.

Phazael, you are my way out WE list hero.
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

WE3.jpg
WE2.jpg
Phaz WCGT Army
Phaz WCGT Army
WE4.jpg
The stuff in the woods are marker models for the various scenarios over the weekend. Kind of surprised how little room there is on the tray. Green bag is a bag of squeaker frog toys for when I frog scroll people.
~Q
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Is that model behind the wardancer a bsb? Realy nice!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.