New WE general 2,000 (mostly friendly)

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Van von Hunter
Newcomer
Newcomer

New WE general 2,000 (mostly friendly)

Post by Van von Hunter »

As the title indicates, I am new to Asrai ways. I played those silly High Elves a few years ago but life happens and I had to stop. Now I'm back in the game and given that my buddy and another player at the gaming club have chosen to play HE I figure it might be a good time to change things up. Enter the Asrai!! I've always been a fan of these tricksy guys and with the new models I am finding it extremely difficult to say no to these tree-hugging-knife-ears.

With all that said, I am looking to field a rather shooty army with the ability to be flexible enough to deal with WoC armor and Skaven/DE hordes moderately well. This is what I have come up with:

Lord
Spell Weaver (Grand Poobah) 325
lvl4 High Magic
Asrai longbow
Acorn of the Ages

Hero
Spellsinger (Dispel Caddy) 145
lvl2 Life or Metal (can't really decide)
Asrai Longbow
dispel scroll

Glade Captain (Pep Flag Waver) 125
BSB
Bow of Loren
Asrai spear, shield

Core
19x Glade Guard (Poobah and Flag bunker) 304
Swiftshiver Shards

17x Glade Guard (Caddy's brigade) 204

Special
5x Wild Riders (Suicide Hammer #1) 140
shields

5x Wild Riders (Suicide Hammer #2) 140
shields

5x Deepwood Scouts (Those Annoying Guys) 80
Hagbane Tips

5X Deepwood Scouts (Those Other Annoying Guys) 80
Hagbane Tips

Rare
10x Waywatchers (The Ranged Can Openers) 200

Treeman (Ol'Woody) 245
Strangleroots

Total: 1988

My general strategy:
1) keep Hand of Glory (+BS) up to make Swiftshiver shards viable
2) Acorn + Worldroots Forest will guarantee at least 2 forests on the board (hopefully 4-5 total with regular terrain and roll of 3+ for acorn)
3) pincushion everything in sight, rinse, repeat
4) make Heavy Cavalry cry with aimed shots to crotch (rider or mount doesn't matter, the point has been made)
5) harass monsters/warmachines with poisoned high-velocity pointy sticks
6) keep talking about how awesome that Treeman looks and Jedi Mindtrick the enemy into thinking that he is the linchpin to my victory and not just the guy screaming "HEY!!! LOOK OVER HERE!!! SHOOT ME!!! SHOOT ME!!!"

*Edited to include missing units points and total*
*further edited when I realized I mucked up the first edit math*
Last edited by Van von Hunter on 13 Mar 2015, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
All generalizations are false.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: New WE general 2,000 (mostly friendly)

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd definitely go Metal because Searing Doom will kill a lot of troublesome stuff. I'd consider Moonstone on the BSB for when the enemy closes in on the bunker. Trueflight is very handy, so I'd cut the size of the second Core unit to get it. Musicians advisable on both units, so they can Swift Reform. Standard of Discipline would give you effectively a Ld10 General, plus a Champion is an idea to challenge out an enemy character if something goes wrong and the unit is contacted.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Everything Phil said, plus I'd be tempted to merge the two units of scouts and split Glade Guards in 3 units.
This way you can move your characters with either Scouts or Waywatchers in turn 1 and Moonstone around the battlefield (keeping on shooting) and your static Glade Guards won't concentrate in a single unit almost half the points of your army.

At this point the temptation to go with Shadow on the Level 4 and Trueflight on the Glade Guards is really strong.
You'll have then the most annoying and possibly one of the most competitive list around as far as concerns WE.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, that's definitely a goer, though the characters need to be careful with fewer bodies to protect them.

The main issue I can see with the whole list is lack of Magic Resistance. Death can snipe out the characters and spells like Convocation wreck the bunker. It's not unplayable because it has dispel dice and a scroll but something to watch out for. Unfortunately, Acorns leave you short of magic item allowance. Possibly up the support mage to a lvl4 but then you'd need to consider dropping the Treeman Van.
Van von Hunter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Van von Hunter »

I do realize my whole army is susceptible to magic.... not too much can be done without drastic measures. I thought lvl4 dispells + oh sh*t scroll combined with wound nullification tokens from High magic would be solid to protect that big block of GG. Thoughts? This also brings me to my dilema with life/metal. Metal signature melts heavy armored.... well....anything, but Lifebloom and Earthblood from Life keeps my faeries alive. My original thinking was High Magic for SQ spam and wound token stockpile + Life on my lvl2 would be enough to significantly hinder DD and MM spells.

Also, thoughts on Wild Rider shields. Worth it or not? I fully expect them to die long before the game is over, hopefully in a glorious display of gore when they trounce some poor unfortunate unit, but is it worth the points to gain that +1 armor?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Excellent point, I'd clean forgotten the Protection Counters. MR is still a miss (Convocation for example could eat counters fast) but on the whole it should be OK. I see the point with Life but IMHO you really need the stopping power of Searing Doom vs WoC for example.

The shields are dirt cheap compared to the Riders, I'd always take them.

Soul Quench is a great spell but if the bunker is hanging back that 18" range is an issue, even the 24" of Convocation and Unforging because the Core archers are static and targets often won't be. If you teleport however, this should cease to be a problem.
Van von Hunter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Van von Hunter »

I forgot about the mediocre range of SQ and Convo.... that is a small problem. I haven't tested it, but in theory my opponent would have to come to my core who are plinking away at them. With Swiftshiver shards and hopefully Hand of Glory that one unit can churn out 126-168 shots, albeit at varying BS, over the course of 2-3 turns+ stand-n-shoot reaction. Not to mention all the other bows slinging pointed sticks around and maybe that Lvl2 mage doing some metal melting. This is all theory at this point in life and I am fully aware that I might be greatly over estimating the efficacy of this entire idea.

I'm gonna stew on this tonight and play around with composition more tomorrow.

To all who have contributed, thank you for taking the time to give me advice and feedback.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome sir.

A fair point that an outshot opponent may have to come to you but MM's and Direct Damage spells also need the target in front arc, which may mean some awkward rotation of the unit.

Nothing will improve the list so much as simply playing it and drawing conclusions from the games.
PGP
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by PGP »

Looks quite much the list I'm planning. The idea was to use two old battalion boxes, with some tweaking of models. Cheap 2k list, now it costs quite much as they took the box away, still worth building. Now I have to use three wr boxes, three gg boxes and two dryad boxes.

Lvl4, shadow, tal. Of pres, dispel scroll (model gg+gr+dryad conversion)
Bsb, armour of destiny, gw (model gg+gr conversion)
24 dryads, champ
15ish gg, hagbane, banner of dicipline, mus.
3x5 wr, shields (maybe one magic banner, models gr)
2x5 scouts, starfire (models gg+gr conversion)
2x10 ww (models gg scouts)

I think it is quite nasty, Toughness decreaser with no as arrows are always good to have. Ld10 + Bsb little compensates the dryad musician. Shadow switching bsb and mage is also a good thing. Flammable arrows is a must to get reg. away. Here I have two units. Eagles and ether.guard-dryad switch would make this even better, but that disrupts the theme. No unit want be gang-banged with three wr-units.
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

Like the list.

Try the high weaver on a unicorn with talisman of preservation and an arcane item of your choosing.

Acorn is a bit meh in my opinion.

I get the synergy with hand of glory and swift shiver. Nice idea. But if you put true flight on them (or the other unit) then hand of glory hits on a 2+! And its slightly cheaper.

Make sure you get arrows on both units. Its well worth the points.
Van von Hunter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Van von Hunter »

Ive had time to stew on the advice and reread the army entries. Acorn is probably overkill and Trueflight arrows for all! With all that said, I am thinking I drop a Wildrider unit and replace Sisters and put my Spellweaver on a steed with them and drop the BSB to free up some points....shouldn't really be getting into combat with Moonstone and no guaruntee how close BSB will be to the rest of the army. Also a small unit of Glade Riders so I can ambush and make archer blocks or warmachines very sad.

Potential list with changes:

Spellweaver, lvl4 High
5x Sisters

Spellsinger, lvl2 metal, dispel scroll, Asrai longbow
14x Glade Guard, Trueflight, musician

Glade Captain, Asrai spear, shield, swiftshiver, Moonstone
17x Glade Guard, Trueflight, musician

5x Glade Riders, musician

5x Wild Riders, shields

9x Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane

10x Waywatchers

Treeman

62 points left over for items. Also, I'm not against dropping the Treeman to free up points if I need to bulk up units.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The 25pts to upgrade to BSB is the most important spend in almost any list IMHO. It's worth it for the Panic cover alone, also for Swift Reforms (especially with big archer units) and if it saves even one Break test that's a huge win.

I'd cut back to 25% Core. The above 25pts and probably the Wild Riders back, they are awesome.