New Wood Elf player help with list

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

TGFD0796
Newcomer
Newcomer

New Wood Elf player help with list

Post by TGFD0796 »

This is my current newbie list
spellweaver lvl4 Dispel scroll lore? 245pts
Spellweaver lvl4 lore? 220
Glade captain BSB elven steed shield 147pts
GGx15 Trueflight Arrows 225Pts
GGx10 Hagbane 150pts
GGx10 Hagbane 150pts
10x WR razor standard sheilds 335pts
10x scouts Hagbane 160pts
Treeman strangle root 245pts
6x waywatchets

Total 1997
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: New Wood Elf player help with list

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi and welcome,

Could you give us some informations about what kind of list are you looking for?

The list you provided doesn't look bad at all, if not for some minor things (Razor standard on WR will benefit just the steeds, GG need musicians to move with more freedom and flexibility and such things...).
The main advice I fell to give is to switch HBT and TFA on your GG units.
Trueflight work best in small units, because you want them to pick lighter targets (so sometimes 15 shots are wasted) and you can afford to move them around with no drawback. On the contrary, Hagbane are usually directed to big targets, where the massed firepower is never wasted.

About Weavers lores, it's completely up to your taste, since this list can perform well with almost any magic support.
Any combination of High, Shadow, Death, Life and Heavens can work wonders, but also lores like Beast, Dark and Metal have their use.
TGFD0796
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TGFD0796 »

Thank you for your advice will try that in next game. In a game against ogres today I drew with this list so hopefully those few tweaks will make a win next time. ;) With What style of army one that softens up units by snipe and then god in on the charge with power to clear that unit in one turn combat.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

What can I say.. your list is solid to start with (the things mentioned before are god points though).
Play it a bit and see if you would like more melee or more shooting or more avoidance.

You might want to get a lvl 2 instead of the 2nd level 4 to get a bit more troops.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

I would probably split that wildrider unit into two units of 5. That way you can spread around the killing and provide more targets for your opponent to shoot at so he cant just massacre the army in one hit. Lore of shadow works fantastically with wood elves and is perfect for us, for the second caster I would recommend metal to cut out those heavily armoured units that we struggle with. As was said though a combination of any of those lores work well with us. It also depends on what armies you will be playing against the most. One other thing I would do is to drop the steed for the BSB and simply have him in a central glade guard unit. That way he can keep the shooting line in position. The wild riders don't really need his support.
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

I'm curious, did your Treeman ever use his strangleroots, and did you find them effective? I've not yet had luck with them and subsequently I don't take the upgrade anymore.

My usual list is kind of similar to yours (though 2 units of 5 Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn as a bus for the lvl 4, and i have a Treeman Ancient as my general), and I have done pretty well lately against my friend who runs Ogres (I lost the first 2 matches though, before I had gotten used to the game ..I'm still pretty new).

Also curious, is your BSB going in your Wild Riders? Does he die when the enemies first strike back in combat? I see my Wild Rider units more like missiles that I launch at whatever I want to wreck... I don't expect them to live.
christiansentho
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by christiansentho »

I would skip the strangleroot and one of the lvl2. In 2000 pts two lvl 4 are a little bit to much i think. Better with one lvl2 and Some more troops instead. Always take musician in the glade guards. Allways:)
Skip the razor, go for the reroll banner instead. And i agree with duraska, splitt the wildriders into two units instead. If you can afford give the +1ld to the other wildrider unit. And split the scouts into two units. 10 strong is a bit to big i think. Otherwise it looks solid

Thomas