Struggling @ 2400pts

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

laribold
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Struggling @ 2400pts

Post by laribold »

Hi all,

Since the new book came out I've really been struggling to find a list that
a) I like
b) Is interesting to play and model (i.e. is NOT just bucketloads of shooting, a level 4 and some wildriders)
c) Fits in with a lot of my existing miniatures

I don't mind a reasonable amount of shooting, but shooting/avoidance is only fun for so long, and that's not even very long... If I want that, I'll go and play 40K (and I'm not that desperate yet!)

So here's yet another list that I've come up with, but I've got to the stage now where I don't think I can see the wood for the trees (see what I did there! :p )

Spellweaver
Level 4 Beasts
Opal Amulet
Power Scroll
Lords 270

Glade Captain
BSB
Elven Steed
Pigeon Plucker Pendant
Dragonhelm
Shield
Spear

Spellsinger
Level 1 Shadows
Dispel Scroll

Branchwraith
Level 1 Life

Branchwraith
Level 1 Life

Shadowdancer
Potion of Strength
Heroes 499

22 Eternal Guard
Shields
Full Command

10 Glade Guard
Trueflight arrows
Musician

10 Glade Guard
Trueflight arrows
Musician
Core 624

6 Deepwood Scouts
Hagbane tips

6 Wild Riders
Shields
Standard
Gleaming Pennant

3 Warhawk Riders

5 Sisters of the Thorn
Standard
Banner of Eternal Flame
Special 564

Treeman
Strangelroots

5 Waywatchers

Great Eagle

Rare 395

And there's about 50pts still to spend here

Any thoughts/advice/help?
Is "Massed shooting and Wildriders" really all we can bring to the party?

I've got more Glade Guard, Dryads, Treekin, a lot of Wardancers and some Wildwood Ranger conversions in mind that can be pressed into service too.
Last of the Wythelkin - Woodland Indian Wood Elves
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20221
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Struggling @ 2400pts

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Other combat options are Dragonlord, fighting characters in Sister bus, EG-star, Eagle riders. Treekin, Dryads and Rangers are worth trying, especially Rangers. As the list stands I'd consider tanking the BSB up and putting him on foot in the EG, keeping the Treeman within 12". I don't think you need the Shadow guy, I'd move that level to the Shadowdancer and maybe the scroll too. Then you can Smoke and Mirrors her around. Alternatively move the scroll to the lvl4. Moonstone could be good here.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Phil has legit options.

Shooting and Wild riders however IS a very tempting way to play. I guess we all like shooting or we would not play woodelves (I guess) and wildriders just PACK a lot of punch. Playing shooting and wildriders is a great way to play casual. I think the experience curve to do decent with such an army is relatively low. Since wild riders are glass cannons they can be countered by players that are much better of course but a good woodelf player would get lots of milage from such an army even in a competative scene I think (unless comp comes into play, which it of course does).

I myself try to play without an anvil and really not very avoidance much either. I just shoot, position my troop and then charge. I think it's fun. It keeps each phase interesting. The positioning and keeping the archers save are the things where skill would make the difference. It might not seem like a lot but really I think most tactics can be summarized in a few words.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I feel the same way about shooting heavy lists, and I don't enjoy using them either.

Wood elf lists need a fair bit of shooting to work properly, probably at least 30-40 shots at 2400pts, but that can be used as a supporting element to a more aggressive list.

I have had pretty good success with slight variations on this list. It is aggressive, fun, gets into nice big swirling melees and can be very, very effective. It's harder to learn to use it effectively though, and it took me a lot of defeats and changes to make it work, so don't expect instant success, you will need to tweak it and keep trying untill you get your list and strategy right and learn it's quirks and it's tricks.

The sisters are one of the star performers, and they zoom all over the place, shooting at close range and flirting with danger, but also often make critical late game charges. The WWR do well some games, and not so well other games, as does the treeman (mainly depending on the presence of flaming or multiple cannons), but the EG, warhawks, wildriders and sisters consistently do well. The EG particularly seem like a more defensive unit, but they are surprisingly effective on the offense too, although they become slightly more reliant on magic support.

I'm not trying to persuade you to use my list or anything, but I do want to give you some hope for a less shooting or avoidance based style of play.

That said, while I have beaten plenty of tourney lists by good players practicing for tournaments, I haven't actually played in tournaments for years, so while I know it can beat some tourney lists, I really don't know how it would fare in a proper tournament. It is very good outside of that scene though, and very fun too.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

I like the list.

Squeeze in some more waywatchers if you can.

Otherwise I think its solid.