2400pt No Comp Tourny

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

2400pt No Comp Tourny

Post by DocDropPod »

Hello all!
I have a tournament coming up and was wondering what everyone thought of this list.
There's no comp and I'm wanting to have fun with my woodies whilst hopefully butthurting everyone :P The usual armies in these tournaments are Vamps, DElves, WoC, OK, O&G and Dwarfs.
Let me know!

Spellweaver: Dispel Scroll; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of High Magic; Asrai longbow; Unicorn 355

5 Glade Riders: trueflight arrows 110
6 Glade Riders: starfire shafts 138
6 Glade Riders: starfire shafts 138

12 Deepwood Scouts: hagbane tips 192
12 Deepwood Scouts: hagbane tips 192
5 Wild Riders: shields; Wild Hunter; musician; standard bearer 170

Treeman: Strangleroots 245
15 Waywatchers 300

2,400 points

I was wondering if I should swap my Treeman for 15 glade guard with Trueflight

Cheers
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2400pt No Comp Tourny

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd be very tempted to put a BSB in. The 12" bubble still covers quite a lot of an MSU army. Charmed Shield to help vs cannons (though he can form a composite unit with the Unicorn to share the counters). The Treeman is cool but whether he fits in an almost pure avoidance army is another matter. I'm not sure if just one mage is enough without comp.
yesilderya
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by yesilderya »

In a tourney (especially uncomped) you can expect dwarves and WoC bringing cannons, so that lonesome big treeman towering on the battlefield will be asked to get cannonballed so he will be free points for the opponent, as you have no other apparent targets. I think for tournament, you either bring three treemen or none. They are tough, but they don't dish out as much pain as they used to do.

I would exchange for a BSB with HODA in one of the cavalry units. Since its an uncomped tounament; I would max out on waywatchers, they are so versatile with their dual-use shots. And cause a lot of pain against WoC and Dwarves with the armour negating arrows, or the two-shot arrows against O&G and and other swarmers.

Also consider a waystalker with bow of loren in any of the waywatcher units, to snipe the vamp characters.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Agree with most of that but bringing 3 Treemen is very commital IMHO. Some match-ups become a nightmare. If there were Warhawks here for screening, or more combat units, one might be OK. The list's got Apotheosis to heal him but Skillcannon for example may not give you the chance.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I second what Phil said.
If you screen it well tough, you have to fear just the Skillcannon since other war machines can be dealt with HBT scouts or WR in the first two turns.
That being said, a Metalsinger and mounted BSB with the HoDA would surely be more effective.

Also musicians on WR are kinda wasted.
You could have more mileage from magic banners.
BoEF could help to provide flaming attacks in combat too (so your Treeman can't be tarpitted by regenerating units), Gleaming Pennant makes sense too, since you don't run a BSB and on the last unit you can have the Ld banner or the Movement one.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

There are a few other suspects. Steam Tanks, CD Hellcannon, Flaming and Initiative test spells.

But there are things you can do.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

What tourney are you entering?? There is a 'ard boyz tourney coming up in my my general area as well that I'm trying to find funds to enter.

I don't plan to take a "tough list" though... haha I just wanna run 5 treemen and drycha for the fun of it :D
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DocDropPod »

Rapid Confrontation in SthEst QLD

I actually just wrote up a triple Treeman list as well that I'm considering [emoji4]
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

Phil Rossiter wrote:The Treeman is cool but whether he fits in an almost pure avoidance army is another matter. I'm not sure if just one mage is enough without comp.
These were both my first thoughts on the list. Verbatim. You could actually drop the treeman and pick up a unit of sisters to be your other casters. They have one good spell in curse and then an okay one. You could actually drop the unicorn in favor of a regular steed and then pick up 9 sisters. Then switch out your talisman for the loadstone and you've got a 1+ ward vs magic. The rest of the unit already has a 4+ ward. Plus your sisters would be casting at a lvl 3 with the second rank. And, with the protection counters of high, this unit will be VERY hard to kill.

If that's not your thing, then I'd still suggest more magic in some form.

I absolutely love me some true flight GG. There is just something about sitting 30 inches away, behind cover and picking off skirmishers on a 3+ to hit. You could always get a lvl 2 and bunker in the unit of GG with the moonstone. Drop a unit of GR to get you the rest of the points. That way you present your opponent with what they think is a stationary unit. Then teleport.

I also feel that GR are best served with hagbane because you are most likely to be at close range. Just my thoughts on those guys.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Cool didn't know there were two going in the area.
I'm hoping to be at Toowoomba's cheesefest during mid feb!
Good luck at yours. I reckon ditching the treeman would be a good idea. The sisters of twilight idea is great too. I had to fight one with a light council at the joust a week back :P
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DocDropPod »

Good luck with yours as well
Let us know how you go.

Yes I feel the Treeman has to go unless I were to field several... [emoji13]
Tanksie
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Ogre Kingdoms, Wood elfs(soon...), Space marines

Post by Tanksie »

You will need metal magic at an uncomped tourney. 15 waywatchers won't be enough without shadow magic backing them up.