750 attempt at infantry avoidance list - advice please?

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Baldrick
Newcomer
Newcomer

750 attempt at infantry avoidance list - advice please?

Post by Baldrick »

As title - I've had a go at making a 750pt wood elf list and I'm interested what you think of it.

Heroes

Spellsinger - lvl 1 - xx (shadow for miasma)

Spellsinger - lvl 1 - xx (fire, metal, light, maybe beasts for offensive signature spells)

Troops

10 GG - Trueflight, Musician - 160

10 GG - Trueflight, Musician - 160

10 Deepwood Scouts - Hagbane, Musician - 170

2 Great Eagles

Total = 750

Idea with this was to play the avoidance game and whittle down the enemy with bowfire - Scouts & Eagles take out warmachines first, after which all the shooting focuses on the enemy missile troops &/or cavalry to get rid of them before they do a lot of damage. Magic wise I use the miasma to slow down enemies (or debuff their shooting) whilst the other wizard clears chaff or attacks heavily armoured targets & cav with searing doom (if I'm facing chaos, bretonnia, lizardmen, dwarves etc it's metal for searing doom, most other things it's fire or light for fireball/shems). I plan to stay between 30 and 18' away at all times to avoid being charged, but if any do get charged, then the glade guard flee & regroup via their musicians (the need to keep moving is why they also have trueflights and not hagbanes incidentally).

Some potential changes I'd already thought of included trying to get some sisters (for curse of anraheir) or perhaps some warhawks for some half decent combat/warmachine hunting, but I'm not sure really and I don't know where I'd get the points from.

What do you think?

EDIT: I should clarify I'm not too bothered about sticking rigorously to being all infantry, but equally since these are the models I've got (bar the 2 eagles which I'm going to get anyway for bigger games with my dragon list) I'd like to use as many of them as possible ;)

Cheers.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: 750 attempt at infantry avoidance list - advice please?

Post by youngseward »

If youre going to go avoidance, I would suggest putting the glade guard into one unit, and finding a way to fit the moonstone on one of your wizards to teleport that relatively immobile unit around.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Baldrick
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Baldrick »

youngseward wrote:If youre going to go avoidance, I would suggest putting the glade guard into one unit, and finding a way to fit the moonstone on one of your wizards to teleport that relatively immobile unit around.

Hmm, I quite like that idea actually - I could drop my Glade Guard down to one unit of 15 (since if they're always going to be in a forest they'd always be firing in 3 ranks), and use the remaining points to buy the moonstone.

My only concern with that set-up is that it requires a decent number of forests to be on the field - Wood Elves bring 1, yes, but the rest would have to be randomly generated, and if they aren't, then I'm essentially fighting in the same way as before but with fewer archers and a 40pt magical item which is doing nothing :/
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Hmmmm well I pretty much always play with one or two regular forests on the board before placing the wood elf one, so the moonstone would be a solid idea where I play, but if its the case that there is a decent chance you wont have any more than your forest on the board then I wouldnt be confident putting the moonstone in because it is, as you said, a waste of points, especially at such a low point total
Baldrick
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Baldrick »

youngseward wrote:Hmmmm well I pretty much always play with one or two regular forests on the board before placing the wood elf one, so the moonstone would be a solid idea where I play, but if its the case that there is a decent chance you wont have any more than your forest on the board then I wouldnt be confident putting the moonstone in because it is, as you said, a waste of points, especially at such a low point total
An alternative idea I had which would get more use out of it would be to play a 1kpt game with a weaver/lord & acorn + a hero/singer/weaver carrying the moonstone for teleporting around the battlefield. Way I see it I could use it one of 3 ways:

1) On a static unit of Glade guard in a forest which teleports away once the enemy gets too close

2) On a wizard (lvl 2+) with a unit to set up vortex spells or other nasty stuff on the enemy flank

or 3) on a waystalker with a skirmishing unit for constantly zipping around the battlefiled picking the enemy off from the flank.

Problem is in any of those cases you're looking at 300 odd points on the heroes/lords and only 700 or so left to actually buy troops to win the game - any of those plans a good idea in your view?
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

The acorn and moonstone is, from what I have read and seen, probably the most effective tactic for wood elves these days, but Ive never run it myself. Im not sure how well it would work at 1000 points, but it would definitely be better to put the acorn on a lv 4 if youre going to try it, as a naked combat lord is basically useless. For lv 2s throwing vortexs youre probably better served with a guy on a great eagle, as most opponents will be wary of leaving themselves vulnerable around forests, and it would be easier to get in their flank with a flying character (or give him the carpet enchanted item that allows him to fly and he remains an infantry model). Ive honestly never found the waystalker to be all that useful personally, but if you managed to fit in a decent unit of deepwood scouts (or at larger points waywatchers), they could make better use of the moonstone as it makes your unit count as having marched, so deepwood scouts could still shoot where glade guard couldnt.
Baldrick
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Baldrick »

Right!

I've finally found the time to have another look at this list and give a moonstone + acorn list another go, and I've come up at the following, what do you think?

Shadoweaver - Acorn - 285

Fire/Metal/Lightsinger - Moonstone - 120

16 GG - Trueflight, Musician - 250 (weaver here)

10 DWS - Hagbane - 160 (singer here, they deploy in a wood in the deployment zone, singer joins them and they moonstone the following turn)

5 Sisters - Nothing - xxx

1 Eagle - Nothing - xx

Total = 1k dead.

Game plan was as before, to keep moving, keep shooting, and never get caught - the shadowweaver does miasma and will (hopefully) get withering for some added punch, whilst the singer goes with the scouts to moonstone them around to attack war machines and missile troops (in that order) with simple magic missiles and shooting attacks. Sisters are there again to slow the enemy down with curse of anraheir and make me more difficult to hit (they'll cast it on stuff which is going to shoot at the scouts), whilst the eagle is also a war machine hunter which will fly forward to support the scouts.

Any thoughts?