2500 pt army list

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

tethyrian
Newcomer
Newcomer

2500 pt army list

Post by tethyrian »

+ Lords +

Spellweaver [(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, (BRB) Dispel Scroll, (BRB) Talisman of Protection, Elven Steed, High Magic, Level 4]

Spellweaver [(BRB) Book of Ashur, (BRB) Talisman of Endurance, Asrai Longbow, Level 4, Lore of Shadow, Unicorn]

+ Heroes +

Glade Captain [(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow, (BRB) Gambler's Armour, Arcane Bodkins, Asrai Longbow, Asrai Spear, Battle Standard, Elven Steed, Light Armor, Shield]

+ Core +

Glade Guard [Musician]
··Always Strike First, Forest Stalker
··15x Glade Guard [15x Swiftshiver Shards]

Glade Guard [Musician]
··12x Glade Guard [12x Trueflight Arrows]
··Standard Bearer [(BRB) Banner of Swiftness]

Glade Guard [Musician]
··10x Glade Guard [10x Starfire Shafts]

+ Special +

Sisters of the Thorn [Musician, 5x Sisters of the Thorn, Standard Bearer]
··Always Strike First, Daughters of Eternity, Deepwood Coven, Fast Cavalry, Forest Stalker, Poisoned Attacks (riders only)

Wardancers [6x Wardancer, Champion]

Warhawk Riders [3x Warhawk Riders, Wind Rider]
··Always Strike First, Armour Piercing, Flying Cavalry, Forest Stalker, Predator's Descent

Wild Riders [Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer]
··Always Strike First, Devastating Charge, Fast Cavalry, Fear, Forest Stalker, Frenzy, Talismanic Tattoos
··6x Wild Riders [6x Shields]

Wild Riders [Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer]
··Always Strike First, Devastating Charge, Fast Cavalry, Fear, Forest Stalker, Frenzy, Talismanic Tattoos
··6x Wild Riders [6x Shields]

+ Rare +

Great Eagle [Great Eagle]

Great Eagle [Great Eagle]

Waywatchers [5x Waywatchers]
··Always Strike First, Forest Stalker, Hawk-eyed Archer, Scout, Skirmisher

Going to be using this for a couple fun matches against some friends of mine. I'm not sure if it's better to use heavens, shadow or beast. I've tried heavens and the reroll 1s was OK, didn't get to use the meteor yet, but I feel like -toughness might be worth a shot. Basically here's my thoughts on lores:

With shadow the spellsinger needs some survival to get in spell range so I give him the unicorn, with heavens I give the unicorn to the spellweaver. If I were to go for beasts, I would drop the unicorn for a steed and spend the extra 40 points on my eternal guard, maybe shields and full command. I need some help deciding what would be best in which situation.
Last edited by tethyrian on 22 Jan 2015, 03:42, edited 2 times in total.
W/D/L - 1/2/1
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2500 pt army list

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I feel it would really benefit the list to upgrade the Shadow guy to lvl4. That way you have a 90% chance of getting the spell you really need for that game, whether it's Withering, Pit or Mindrazor. The ranges look quite decent to me, you could run him on foot, maybe with Moonstone. In contrast you want to get closer with High, so I'd stick her on the Unicorn. Unfortunately this pretty much demands a 4+ Ward to survive vs war machines, even with Protection Counters. It's a comedown but Power Stone could still give you a useful boost. I also like Stubborn Crown here because this girl can be a useful blocker in combat. I'd strongly consider the 4+ Ward armour on the BSB, with a Great Weapon. Against cannon you could run him in a mini-unit of two models with the Unicorn, to benefit from the Counters.

I wouldn't add anything to the Eternal Guard, except a musician for Swift Reforms. At 10-strong they are purely a Stubborn speed bump. Eternal Flame doesn't work on Enchanted Arrows because they count as Magic Weapons per pg 37 of the army book. A model with the Flaming Attacks Special Rule does not count these for magic weapon attacks, per pg 69 of the rulebook. I'd consider switching one unit of archers to Starfire instead.
tethyrian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tethyrian »

I looked into the lores and decided that shadow has a lot more potential to deal damage and help my shooting phase than heavens does, the problem with shadow being that it needs a lot of bonuses to get the high cast costs off. I switched the high magics build a bit and put the book of ashur on a lvl 4 shadow wizard. I slimmed down by BSB and dropped an eagle to be able to afford this. I changed the unit of core with the fire banner to the starfire arrows. Overall I think I like this a lot more and will probably be running this in order to try out the true potential of a shadow weaver.
Last edited by tethyrian on 19 Jan 2015, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
W/D/L - 1/2/1
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Just a heads up, don't post the point break down on anything GW views it as copyright infringement.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The characters are now crying out for a bodyguard of 7 Sisters. The small Wild Rider units are not enough protection for them. Lichebone Pennant on the Sisters improves the character Wards vs spells and helps vs magic missiles. A musician would also help, with rallying. I'd be tempted to cut Core to help pay for this.
tethyrian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tethyrian »

The sisters are pricey. The heaven wizard I intend to have hidden for the first 2-3 rounds to simply buff shooting or fighting. I can put him in a unit and moonstone away if needed for safety. I do see what you are saying however.

I don't know how I honestly feel about the eternal guard. I expect them to do just as well as about anything else in the army book in terms of holding enemies in place. I mainly intended to use them to save another unit or help set up flanks with wild riders. I feel another eagle could do that just as well and for 70 points cheaper.

Ultimately, I put the shadow wizard on a unicorn. This gives him an extra toughness and movement, and any unit he is in gets magic resist(2). He may not be in a unit much of the time but if need be this can help him and the other characters a lot.
I added 2 glade guard to the unit with the trueflight arrows to meet core requirements.
I added 1 eagle.

For the price of 10 eternal guard. I would say worth it. This list is getting closer I feel. Not sure if I want to have 2 units of wild rider or take one out and trade it for a unit of sisters. It doesn't seem necessary, I feel their spells just take away from the dice I would be using on my 2 lvl 4 wizards, and they would just be around to provide cover for the wizards, which I can find in just about any other unit with the moonstone and a unicorn.

Didn't know about rules and copyright, I edited out the points and updated the army list into the original post according to these changes.
W/D/L - 1/2/1
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It does sound positive.

The main danger I can see to the characters here is from war machines, especially cannon. Only the Wild Riders provide Look out Sir (but not to the Unicorn) and this can easily disappear. If you have all the characters in the same unit, a High mage can help the others with Protection Counters but it's a bit chancey.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I think it's a good list, but I'd consider swapping the steed and the unicorn of the two Weavers. An Highweaver on Unicorn is one of the most survivable character we can have (but the 4++ is needed instead of the moonstone).

I also don't like running 3 Treekin on their own. They won't kill much and won't be holding for long either. I feel 6-8 are needed to stay alive a bit and work as an anvil. They won't win many big combats.
For the price of just 3 I'd rather have other 3 Warhawks.
tethyrian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tethyrian »

It took a while to come to terms with it but now that you mention it the 2 treekin really don't last all that long. If I need something to hold the sisters would maybe even do better, and for certain would do better with high magic counters on them. I swapped the treekin for some sisters of thorn.
W/D/L - 1/2/1