starting 500 pt army

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

starting 500 pt army

Post by fouadgillani »

Hi ,
wanted some advice on whether this would be an ok list to start

Glade Captain + enchanted shield + seed of rebirth + arcane bodkins + HODA: 125
vs ironcurse icon + luckstone instead of seed of rebirth:125

Deepwood scouts (12) + Hagbane tips: 192

Glade riders (6) + Hagbane tips: 132

Great Eagle: 50

total 501 (the local group said thats fine for friendly games).

Plan is to put the forest on one flank and put the scouts in there. Captain behind them and hope can get off hoda somehow at some point. try and use GE to slow down or redirect the other flank . hopefully the GR appear on turn 2, will place them on the flank that has scouts and concentrate fire on that flank or rear charge . hopefully the great eagle can slow the other flank down so they don't get involved in the fight right away and if they attempt to march past him then would flank charge and try and hold up for at least one extra turn.

complete newbie so all comments are welcome
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: starting 500 pt army

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi,
the list is not bad overall, but the fact that you're deploying your general on its own can be a real problem if you dan't get the first turn: imagine you're against other wood elves or tomb kings. It means that he's dead before he can even contribute to the match.
As it is now you'll start deploying just the Eagle and the general. If your opponent focus his fire on him, you won't be able to do much (you'll have a 4+ armour save and a 4+ Look out Sir from Scouts if they're within 3").
consider to switch your Scouts for Glade Guards, you'll also save 12 pts, which can buy you another body if you drop the Arcane Bodkins from the Captain (not very significant on his single shot, anyway).
This allows you to spend the point of Glade Riders in Special/Rare sections. If you want to keep the cavalry, Wild Riders are never a bad choice and can add some fighting ability to your list, or else, Sisters of the Thorn introduce some magic too. You can even drop the shield from the Captain and fit a unit of Warhawks. They're a fantastic unit, very mobile and quite survivable thanks to T4 and 3 wounds each.

Lastly I like more the Ironcurse Icon than the Seed of Rebirth, even if you're unlikely to face many war machines at this point rate.

In the end, the list could look like this:

Glade Captain (General), with HoDA, Ironcurse Icon, Enchanted Shield. 115

13 Glade Guards, Musician, Hagbane Tips. 205
5 Wild Riders/SIsters of the Thorn. 130
Great Eagle. 50

Total 500.

These are just suggestions.
Obviously there's nothing wrong in hoping for a bit of luck with your general. Afterall, Scouts are with no doubts more performant than Glade Guards and allow you a lot more of flexibility and tactical advantages thanks to their special deployment.
fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fouadgillani »

Hi thanks for the suggestions, hadn't thought the actual battle and deployment through did I :crazy:

New list:
Glade Captain + HODA: 105

Glade guard(15) + true flight tips: 240

Glade riders (5) + true flight tips: 110

Great Eagle: 50

total 505 (the local group said thats fine for friendly games).

Will take poisoned forest put it on edge of deployment zone and shoot poisoned at long range with no to hit penalties
glade riders to move and shoot with no penalty after ambush from behind lines

I also don't have the wild rider/sisters models

Thanks again
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

You could always swap out the captain for a waystalker. LD 8 isn't great but playing nothing but scouts and ambushers will throw a wrench in what your foe has planned.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Haha... that would be hilarious at this low point level.
Imagine:

"I deploy my Eagle. It's your turn, I'm done."
fouadgillani wrote:Hi thanks for the suggestions, hadn't thought the actual battle and deployment through did I :crazy:
Will take poisoned forest put it on edge of deployment zone and shoot poisoned at long range with no to hit penalties
glade riders to move and shoot with no penalty after ambush from behind lines

I also don't have the wild rider/sisters models

Thanks again
Unfortunately Venom Thickets confer poisoned attacks only in close combat, but you can always take trueflight on Glade Riders and Hagbane on Glade Guards.
I still suggest to drop a model and add the musician (you'll also savce those 5 pts over).
Musician are essential for firing units, because you can't swift-reform and shoot if you don't have one.

If you don't have the models for the Wild Riders you could always proxy them with Glade Riders. If you're gaming group is ok with you running a list with 5 pts more, I think they won't bother if you use GR instead of WR.
fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fouadgillani »

Thanks guys , helps a lot

Now the list will be

Glade captain + Hail of doom arrow 105

Glade guard 14 with musician and hagbane tips

Glade riders 5 with true flight tips

Great eagle

Seems a decent list at 500 pts
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Yeah I like that list, good luck!
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

I can't help but thinking you'll be better with a couple less glade guards and WR/SotT instead of Glade Riders (I'm not a fan of them, unless they're taken in larger numbers and at least two units).

Anyway the list looks very balanced and quite effective for the point rate.
fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fouadgillani »

Yeah the only reason I'm taking glade riders now is to learn how to play with them . When I go up to 750 pts I'm gonna add wild riders to the list and a rank more of glade riders to get to war machines etc from the back of the board . This is to practice for that .
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

I'd be very cautious about the idea of starting the first turn, possibly the second, third and fourth turns without 110 on my 500 points. I think that's a big mistake at this points level. I could be wrong, but that would make me very nervous. However, they could come in during turn 2 and win the game for you.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

No balls, no glory! :D

I'ld say: make the gamble now, and see how they make you feel.

If they let you down, you'll be eating horse-meat :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

fouadgillani wrote:Yeah the only reason I'm taking glade riders now is to learn how to play with them . When I go up to 750 pts I'm gonna add wild riders to the list and a rank more of glade riders to get to war machines etc from the back of the board . This is to practice for that .
The thing is that I would like warmachines gone ASAP.. so not maybe on turn 2-3. I personally try to take them out with hagbanes ASAP. ofc hagbanes need to hit a T5-6-7 unit while in melee you only have to kill the T3-4 grunts next to it. As backup I use warhawkriders myself so I don't use glade riders at all.

Having said that: trying to learn to play with a unit is ofcourse always a noble thing.
fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fouadgillani »

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys,
now I am wondering if a glade captain + HoDA is 105 pts and a level 1 singer with asrai longbow and HoDA is 115 pts , then isn't it better to take singer for 10 pts more .
The glade captain has more weapon skill but is he really gonna accomplish much in close combat anyway? But on the other hand is the better leadership on the glade captain worth it

Thanks again
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

If you plan to shoot the HoDA (and I think you should, unless you want to run a singer with scroll and ring of ruby, possibly on fire/light), the +2 to hit of the Captain over the Singer is almost mandatory.
The BS4 of the singer means that you're hitting on 6s just for moving and long range and you'll simply waste it.
fouadgillani
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fouadgillani »

Thanks again and sorry for all the noob questions

final list that I am gonna start making and painting:

Warden of Lileath

Captain Misrahi + shield + hagbane tips + HoDA (110)

14 Glade guard + hagbane tips + musician (220)

5 Glade riders +trueflight tips + musicians (120)

Great eagle xx

Venom Thicket forest for improved close combat

Total : 500 pts