3500pts vs UNKNOWN ENEMY

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts (rarely)

3500pts vs UNKNOWN ENEMY

Post by Ease »

Tomorrow my friends and I are having a huge 3500 match, with the two armies drawn out of a bag. I don't know if wood elves will get chosen, and if they do, I might not even be controlling them myself. The armies they could face are: Vampire Counts, High Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Skavens, Ogres, or Dwarves. Oh, and I can't depend on terrain as our gaming group is notoriously bad at using terrain. We occasionally have as much as three pieces... but normally less, despite my constant complaint that battles would be more interesting with the proper amount. :cry:

My current list is like this, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it.

Lords
Durthu
Spellweaver, Lvl3 on Steed (to go in Sisters of the Thorn), 5+ Ward Save, and Dispel Scrol
Glade Lord, on Steed, with +3A.
860ish pts

Heroes
2 Waystalkers
3 Glade Captains on Steeds, one with Hail of Doom Arrow and Enchanted Shield. (To go in Wild Riders)
500ish pts

Core
10 Glade Guard with Poison Arrows
32 Eternal Guard with Full command, and Gleaming Penant (reroll first failed Ld Test)
900ish pts

Special
5 Sisters of the Thorn
7 Wild Riders with full command and shields
5 Deepwood Scouts with Poison Arrows
5 Deepwood Scouts with Arcane Bodkins (-3 Armour Save)
775ish pts

Rare
8 Waywatchers
8 Waywatchers
3 Warhawk Riders
450ish pts

I put Durthu in for Fear Factor, but don't know if I can use him correctly. I'm also tempted to swap out the Eternal Guard for more Glade Guard. I'm also not convinced that the Deepwood Scouts can achieve anything in such small numbers.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 3500pts vs UNKNOWN ENEMY

Post by Aezeal »

Let me start to say thatI think you have a somewhat balanced army.

I see 2 big problems that I would certainly change.
1. The only thing out of balance is your magic. I think at least 1 level 4 for optimum dispell power is really worth those few extra points even if you don't want to rely on magic too much. After the level 4 I'd get at least a level 2.
2. Your characters... the lord, 2 waystalkers and the hero´s, I just don´t like woodelven combat characters and your lord isn´t even properly kitted out. He´ll die very fast against any enemy character or against any elite troops that are ranked up. You will be giving away our points I think. Either kit him out completely with wards etc or.. and this would be my choice.. delete him from the army. You already have Durthy as combat character. The same goes for hero´s without kit. You could certainly get 1 of them but then make him the BSB. THe others should really go. The 2 waystalkers are probably not really worth it in any case .. general opinion on this forum I think but for these games even worse because most possible enemy armies you listed have high T characters.

The rest of your army is as I said a good balance between melee and shooting. I don´t really think it´s bad but I would take a bit different army. My idea´s are I think less important that the things I mention above and more depentant on my playstyle I think, so I won´t pretend these idea´s are real improvement.
Having said that..

1. I would get more scouts
2. I would get more GG ,, if you delete all the characters you will probably have points to get more of these and still keep the EG.
3. I don´t know what you have for models but personally I´d just get more WR instead of EG for melee. Sure they don´t do the same thing EG being a tarpit.. but the damage wave after wave of WR can do is just very to my liking.
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts (rarely)

Re: 3500pts vs UNKNOWN ENEMY

Post by Ease »

Okay, I've made some changes based on your recommendations. Not sure where to place the second wizard now.

Lords
Durthu
Spellweaver, Lvl4 on Steed (to go in Sisters of the Thorn), MagRes(3)
660ish pts

Heroes
1 Spellsigner (Lvl2 with dispel scroll)
1 Glade Captain BSB on Steed, with +2 Strength Sword, Enchanted Shield. (To go in Wild Riders)
300ish pts

Core
12 Glade Guard with Poison Arrows
11 Glade Guard with Poison Arrows
900ish pts

Special
6 Sisters of the Thorn
12 Wild Riders with full command and shields
10 Deepwood Scouts with Arcane Bodkins (-3 Armour Save)
1200ish pts

Rare
8 Waywatchers
8 Waywatchers
3 Warhawk Riders
450ish pts