Getting Back into it! 2k Shooty List

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Shbur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Getting Back into it! 2k Shooty List

Post by Shbur »

Hey guys, been playing warhammer and WE for a long time now but got out of touch with the hobby during my final years at college and got a little over whelmed with a BA paint job commission simultaneously. Sadly, this meant my WE felt to wayside. But, picked up the new army book and the Khaine book and am going back at it strongly! I've always been a fan of the "dodge, shoot, hit them upside the head with a ton of bricks when they least expect it" play style. You guys think this list works for it? Any pointers are appreciated. Also, I have a Naestra and Arahan model and her new rules are pretty bomb, anyone use and enjoy her? With Gwindalor or the dragon?

+++ Wood Elves (1998pts) +++

+ Lords (260pts) +

Spellweaver (260pts) [(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Level 4, Lore of Shadow]

+ Heroes (140pts) +

Spellsinger (140pts) [(BRB) Dispel Scroll, Level 2, Lore of Beasts]

+ Core (520pts) +

Glade Guard (150pts)
····10x Glade Guard [10x Trueflight Arrows]

Glade Guard (150pts)
····10x Glade Guard [10x Trueflight Arrows]

Glade Riders (220pts)
····10x Glade Riders [10x Trueflight Arrows]

+ Special (718pts) +

Deepwood Scouts (138pts) [Musician]
····8x Deepwood Scouts [8x Hagbane Tips]

Warhawk Riders (145pts) [3x Warhawk Riders, Wind Rider]

Warhawk Riders (135pts) [3x Warhawk Riders]

Wild Riders (150pts) [Champion, Musician, 5x Wild Riders]

Wild Riders (150pts) [Champion, Musician, 5x Wild Riders]

+ Rare (360pts) +

Waywatchers (180pts) [9x Waywatchers]

Waywatchers (180pts) [9x Waywatchers]
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Getting Back into it! 2k Shooty List

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd drop a unit of Warhawks for a BSB with Hail of Doom. Failed Panic tests will hurt, especially on the General's unit. I'd put musicians on the Core archers for Swift Reform. I'd also drop the musicians from the Wild Riders, they don't need to Swift Reform and won't need to Rally often. Shields much more useful IMHO.

But overall very solid list.
Shbur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shbur »

Phil Rossiter wrote:I'd drop a unit of Warhawks for a BSB with Hail of Doom. Failed Panic tests will hurt, especially on the General's unit. I'd put musicians on the Core archers for Swift Reform. I'd also drop the musicians from the Wild Riders, they don't need to Swift Reform and won't need to Rally often. Shields much more useful IMHO.

But overall very solid list.
Definitely agree about the WR, didn't really think of that, thanks! I guess relying on LD 9 to not panic with a level 4 wizard is a little risky. Also, HoDA does go along with my "shootiness" so that sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome Shbur.

Those changes move it close to what is popular with strong players generally.
Shbur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shbur »

Speaking of strong players, I noticed a lot of competitive lists running Sisters of the Thorn. While I love their models and their ward saves (great bunker for casters) I can't help debate their killy functionality. Being that I've never used them, on paper it seems as though their ability to cast spells would suck away at much needed power dice, and their combat presence is nothing compared to their wild brethren. Do people usually stick a mounted caster in the unit and run around avoiding combat? If so, that seems like a rather expensive bunker. Maybe their javelins are used more than I presume - although usage of these would often put them in charge range of an enemy if they're within the front arc.

Definitely an interesting unit to analyze their functionality - little bit off topic, however.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Firstly Shbur, Sisters are Fast Cav. With 18" and unlimited reforms, that's a very good way to get your bunker out of trouble and into position for spellcasting. Secondly, they are bodies with a 4+ Ward, which works against almost anything. Get MR in or Protection Counters and that's solid. The spells and javelins are a bonus really. If you have double level 4 there say, letting that magic power work efficiently is very valuable.

They're far from essential though of course. You can run the characters with Wild Riders or Moonstone instead.
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

Shbur, welcome back. The best thing about the new book is there are plenty more options that work great.

The sisters are used as a bunker that isn't likely to die the entire game. As Phil said, they have a 4+ ward. Throw in a lvl4 with high magic, and this unit is VERY hard to kill. Because of fast cav, they are very hard to catch.

Another option is using the moonstone, which is what I use most often in my largest unit of GG. If they teleport, they can't shoot but they also don't die. They are generally the only unit that just sits there and annoys the crap out of my opponent.

I also agree with Phil on the WR shields. That is worth it every time.

Depending on your plans with the hawks and WR though, I wouldn't lose a unit of hawks. I generally run a unit of hawks in tandem with a unit of WR. They provide cover for the WR or your opponent can shoot at the T4 unit (hawks). Works really well. I generally run them on separate flanks, so having a pair of each is nice. If you want to run both units of WR together, then I agree that you only need one unit of hawks.

Either way, I think you've got a nice list. Good luck and happy gaming.