1000 points New Player

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

1000 points New Player

Post by RedRanger »

Hi! I want to make a solid 1000 points army of wood elves but I need some help :) and I don't have the book YET, sorry!
These are the models I have but I don't know if I should get magical arrows and what unit to get to complete the 1000 points
Is a lvl 2 spellsinger good enough for 1000 points? What do you think of the army composition, does it need more mavourability?

1 spellweaver lvl 2 on foot
18 dryads
14 glade guard, full command. <- spellsinger goes in here
14 glade guard, musician.

I also have a few glade guard left. I think I'm going to make a noble of one of them. Then I can add 4-6 glade guard to the list if that would be better.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 1000 points New Player

Post by Mollesvinet »

I would definitely get magical arrows. They make the glade guard much better, compared to their cost.

The most popular arrows are hagbane arrows and trueshot arrows. You could take a unit of each or simply use a single kind.

Dryads are not all that, so I would probably stick with just 10 of those if you must use them.

If you could get 3 units of 10 glade guard, that would be nice. Makes it harder to catch them and gives you the opportunity to shoot more targets, in case you fight against MSU.

You could change the spellweaver into a captain with the hail of doom arrow if you have the model, but I do understand if you want access to magic. In case you bring the singer, which lore would you use? There are many threads on lores, but metal and heavens would be a good place to look with only 2 levels.

Good luck!
RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RedRanger »

Thank you for your advise! :)

So these are the changes I made: I should be able to make 3 units of 10 glade guard, 1 unit with Trueflight and the others with Hagbane.
Then I'm going to drop some dryads and If I have points left I would take some glade riders?

So here is how it +/- looks.

Spellweaver lvl2
10 dryads
10 glade guard, full command and Trueflight arrows (+ spellweaver)
10 glade guard, mus and Hagbane arrows
10 glade guard, mus and Hagbane arrows
5 glade riders, mus
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

At a 1000 points you can get away with only 10 glade guard in core (with trueflight), then use the rest as Deepwood Scouts with hagbane.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Good point by Git, I second it. Played too much in the previous edition where glade guard where better than scouts :D

Did you consider about the lore on the spellsinger?
RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RedRanger »

Git wrote:At a 1000 points you can get away with only 10 glade guard in core (with trueflight), then use the rest as Deepwood Scouts with hagbane.
Cool! I never thought about the deepwood scouts! How are they diferent from the scouts in previous edition?
Mollesvinet wrote:Good point by Git, I second it. Played too much in the previous edition where glade guard where better than scouts :D

Did you consider about the lore on the spellsinger?
I haven't give it some thoughts..A Lore easy to cast perhaps?
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

RedRanger wrote:Cool! I never thought about the deepwood scouts! How are they diferent from the scouts in previous edition?
They are worth their points. My thoughts about them vs. Glade Guard for poison shots is that they are easier to move to safety, or better firing positions (closer to targets in the rear of the enemy lines, like war machines). I like trueflight on my Glade Guard because they can stay 30" away, move or hide behind stuff and still hit on 3+ with armour piercing shots. They are also very useful when enemy shooters try to stay safe in a building.
RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RedRanger »

Git wrote:
RedRanger wrote:Cool! I never thought about the deepwood scouts! How are they diferent from the scouts in previous edition?
They are worth their points. My thoughts about them vs. Glade Guard for poison shots is that they are easier to move to safety, or better firing positions (closer to targets in the rear of the enemy lines, like war machines). I like trueflight on my Glade Guard because they can stay 30" away, move or hide behind stuff and still hit on 3+ with armour piercing shots. They are also very useful when enemy shooters try to stay safe in a building.
Niiiiice :D
RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RedRanger »

Git wrote:
Niiiiice :D
Orionwoodking
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves; Bretonnia; Eldar

Post by Orionwoodking »

I really like your army! Nice and shooty! Perhaps you want to invest in some waywatchers, their ability to do away with armoured models can be useful at low points