1000 points New Player

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

1000 points New Player

Post by RedRanger »

Hi! I want to make a solid 1000 points army of wood elves.
These are the models I have but I don't know if I should get magical arrows and what unit to get to complete the 1000 points
Is a lvl 2 spellsinger good enough for 1000 points?

1 spellweaver lvl 2 on foot
18 dryads
14 glade guard, full command. <- spellsinger goes in here
14 glade guard, musician.

I also have a few glade guard left. I think I'm going to make a noble of one of them. Then I can add 4-6 glade guard to the list if that would be better.
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: 1000 points New Player

Post by Dragon halitosis »

The model options are ok to start you off. Level 2 in a 1000 pt list is fine. dreads are not as good as they used to be but won't panic and make a good counter charge unit. Maximum archers is a good idea and do use magic arrows. I use poison arrows as standard as they're great against war machines and high toughness targets. Look at using one miniature as a tooled up melee character to give your glade guard a boost in close combat. In blocks of 18 or so glade guard can take a charge from some melee units once they have shot a few ranks off them on the way in.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

My suggestion would be to turn the spare GG into scouts with hagsbane tips. They can start shooting warmachines and monsters from turn 1, while a clever opponent will make sure you need 7+ to hit (moving, long range and cover for -4 to hit) with your GG, which stops poison from working, at least for the first turn.

Your GG can then take trueflight arrows, allowing them to move, shoot through cover (such as intervening units), and so on while still hitting on 3+.

Wildriders (units of 5-7, shields, standard), Waywatchers and a great eagle or two are probably the best units to get next, they'll round out and balance your force, and give you a solid platform to build on.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:My suggestion would be to turn the spare GG into scouts with hagsbane tips. They can start shooting warmachines and monsters from turn 1, while a clever opponent will make sure you need 7+ to hit (moving, long range and cover for -4 to hit) with your GG, which stops poison from working, at least for the first turn.

Your GG can then take trueflight arrows, allowing them to move, shoot through cover (such as intervening units), and so on while still hitting on 3+.

Wildriders (units of 5-7, shields, standard), Waywatchers and a great eagle or two are probably the best units to get next, they'll round out and balance your force, and give you a solid platform to build on.
I think this is a solid advice (though I tend to keep a lot of HB on GG too and less TF, but a combo of the 2 should work fine.

+1 for Coyle
RedRanger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RedRanger »

The advise is really good, thank you guys! First of all, I accidently posted this question 2 times..and I need to pick a good lore :)
Here are the things I change

1 spellsinger lvl 2 (No lore choise yet)
1 Glade Guard unit to 18 with trueflight
10 deepwood scouts with hagbane?
10 deepwood scouts also with hagbane?
10 dryads
IGMatthew
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE, HE, Bret, IG, GK, SoB, SM

Post by IGMatthew »

I personally run 24-36 hagbane scouts at 2000 and 2500, so I would say 20 is an excellent workhorse. I would split them down though, maybe 2 units of 6 and a unit of 8. The downside is that you panic easier, the upside is that a unit lost is less painful, and you'll have an easier time maneuvering so that you don't lose the unit in the first place. You also can split or combine your firepower as needed, so you don't have to commit more than is needed.

For lore choice, I'd suggest looking at High Magic. It is relatively easy to cast, has a good toolbox, offers some protection with the counters, and has two good signatures that you can always fall back on to ensure some useful spells. Alternatively, at 1000 pts, you could just take Fire Magic and cast fireball on everything. Most people will be running small-ish units, so straight firepower (pun intended) can do some good work supplementing your bowfire. Fire is also moderately easy to cast and has long range, so a +2 (or +3 in the forest) should be able to get the spells off.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

With an army like this, with a L2 I'd suggest Heavens.

I generally prefer Dark, and Shadows is the obvious choice for a shooty army, but you need a weaver rather than a singer to get High and Dark, while with Shadows you are really looking for the spell Withering, so you need a L4 to maximise your chances of getting that spell.

Heavens is a great, versatile and easy to cast lore, and perfect for a L2. Every spell is useful, there isn't a "bad" spell which you want to avoid, and depending what you roll, you have good damage spells (thunderbolt, chain lightning and comet), battlefield control (comet and wind blast), a good area buff (harmonic convergence), a good area debuff (curse), and a good single target debuff (blizzard).

With careful positioning, bubble casting harmonic convergence can have all, or nearly all, of your shooting rerolling 1's to hit and wound, which can be a serious boost for a shooty army.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.