Ghosts of Modryn (1000 points of Deployment Insanity)

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Archaeoman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ghosts of Modryn (1000 points of Deployment Insanity)

Post by Archaeoman »

Hello all! Well, after much musing I have decided on making my first list with the new book. Maybe this is going to fail horribly but, win or loose, it is sure to be obnoxiously entertaining!

Gwindalor Ghoststrider: Waystalker, Bow of Loren
Celas Nightshade: Waystalker

6 Glade Riders of Modryn, Hagbane Arrows, Musician
6 Glade Riders of Modryn, Hagbane Arrows, Musician

10 Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane Arrows, Master Scout
6 Deepwood Scouts, Trueflight Arrows

7 Waywatchers (joined by Gwindalor)
5 Waywatchers, Shadow Sentinel (joined by Celas)

Total: 1000

What do people think? I've seen some talk about using similar lists and wanted to check your thoughts. Suggestions at improvement? I'm wondering especially about my choice of arrows. Basic plan should be clear: SHOOT THEM! And avoid and avoid and SHOOT THEM!!!! And snipe their characters. I've always wanted to use a list designed for guerrilla warfare and am delighted about the prospects! But do you think this list is viable? Many thanks and have a great day! :D
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: Ghosts of Modryn (1000 points of Deployment Insanity)

Post by Blackcat »

Your glade riders will be pretty expensive with the hagbane arrows. I would suggest using glade guard instead but I can see what you are going for so just go with it. One thing I would suggest though is if you can make the points then take hail of doom arrow on your other waystalker. It is a brilliant magic item that just got better.

Do you already have the models or are planning on building this army?
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

I think the better way to make the zero deployment drops list is with Drycha. Provided you only take two non-scout/ambush units you have a 66% chance of forcing them to deploy their entire army first.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Atrophus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Atrophus »

Looks a fun list to play :)
The only thing that would worry me is the lack of magic defence, MM will really ruin this lists day.
So I would definitely make mages your way stalkers priority.
Blackcat wrote:One thing I would suggest though is if you can make the points then take hail of doom arrow on your other waystalker. It is a brilliant magic item that just got better.
I don't think the way stalkers have enough magic item allowance to take it.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Atrophus wrote:
Blackcat wrote:One thing I would suggest though is if you can make the points then take hail of doom arrow on your other waystalker. It is a brilliant magic item that just got better.
I don't think the way stalkers have enough magic item allowance to take it.

How so? Waystalkers are Hero choices, so have 50pts of magic items allowed. The Hail of Doom Arrow is much less than that, so is easily affordable for a Waystalker.

The real issue is whether there are enough points in the army to take it. With the 1000pt total reached, it means something will have to be dropped to fit the HoDA in as well as everything else.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
loki0486
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Blood Angels

Post by loki0486 »

Negative Waystalkers and Shadowdancers only get 25pt allotments for magic items. So no 50pt allotment to take the HoD arrow.
Atrophus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Atrophus »

loki0486 wrote:Negative Waystalkers and Shadowdancers only get 25pt allotments for magic items. So no 50pt allotment to take the HoD arrow.
That's what I thought, otherwise you could take out basically any character in the game with it. As the way stalker could snipe characters with it.
But that would be awesome if you could :)
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Sorry dude way stalker is 25 points magic item allotment heh. I think he would be OP with 50 =P BUT I would do a variation of this list with one captain mounted on an elven stead with -shield-hail of doom arrow- and the cheaper wardsave heavy armor. boom 3+ 6++ I think... deploy him in the farthest corner and say Done...Call it the Lone arrow...
then BOOM Glade riders and way watchers and scouts out of nowhere... lol
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Even if he has hail of doom arrow I don't think it would work with snipe. Its a separate magical shot from an enchanted items that just does 3 D6 shots. And is fired with a regular asrai bow and gets no benefits from it.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

For a normal pitched battle it has some merits, but do you play the other scenarios? Watchtower seems tricky, as does Blood & Glory. Still it's very special ops though isn't it? No magic either, but I suppose that's what the waystalkers are for. :D
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

loki0486 wrote:Negative Waystalkers and Shadowdancers only get 25pt allotments for magic items. So no 50pt allotment to take the HoD arrow.

Wow, I hadn't even noticed that! Sorry Atrophus, my bad!

It seems strange to *not* allow Waystalkers access to the HoDA, when they would be an ideal place for it. That pretty much means it *has* to go on a BSB...
Atrophus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Atrophus »

Beithir Seun wrote: Wow, I hadn't even noticed that! Sorry Atrophus, my bad!

It seems strange to *not* allow Waystalkers access to the HoDA, when they would be an ideal place for it. That pretty much means it *has* to go on a BSB...
No worries Beithir Seun, the first thing I thought when I saw the way stalker in the army book was think, wow HoDA was made for this guy.
But then I saw his magic item allowance :tear:
Straylight
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Tau, Tyranids, Orks, Space Marines; Wood Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen; Gray Company/Arnor (LotR/WotR)

Post by Straylight »

Beithir Seun wrote:It seems strange to *not* allow Waystalkers access to the HoDA, when they would be an ideal place for it.
Because 10 magical BS5 S4 AP Sniper shots with no armor saves allowed is a death sentence to just about any character in the game. At that point, you might as well have a rule that reads "Once per game at the beginning your shooting phase, choose one enemy character model. That model is removed from play".
(Gravity Not Included)
Archaeoman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Archaeoman »

Wow! Thank you for the replies!!! Well, let's see...

@Blackcat: Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, my riders are expensive, but it is just too tempting to Ambush so hardcore. I have a good portion of the models already. The characters and Scouts are good to go. For Glade Riders, I'm in the process of converting some Brettonian Knights I had laying around. And I will be picking up my boxes of Mirkwood Rangers to convert into Waywatchers tomorrow!

@Atrophus: It should be hilarious! Yeah, lack of magical defense is troubling...I plan on trying as hard as possible to snipe mages sooner rather than later. At higher point values, I considered taking a lone lv.4 Treeman Ancient...I love the model and want to get one, but have no idea what to do with it...

@hutobega: :nod: aka, The Lone Ranger...I like it! I think I'll actually try that change sometime just for the added killing power of the Hail of Doom Arrow.

@chickenbane: I normally only play Pitched Battles. And yes, special ops is the feel I'm going for. Maybe magical Treeman...

Thoughts on expanding the list? Treeman Ancient a terrible idea? Oh and thanks, everyone for the clarification with the Hail of Doom Arrow.

Best, Archaeoman
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Straylight wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote:It seems strange to *not* allow Waystalkers access to the HoDA, when they would be an ideal place for it.
Because 10 magical BS5 S4 AP Sniper shots with no armor saves allowed is a death sentence to just about any character in the game. At that point, you might as well have a rule that reads "Once per game at the beginning your shooting phase, choose one enemy character model. That model is removed from play".

I hadn't considered that the HoDA would allow the Sniper rule to be used, to be honest, as using the HoDA is not "a normal shooting attack" (which is what the Sniper shot replaces). Likewise, I didn't think you'd be able to use the Fast shot or Aimed shot rules when firing the HoDA, because it's not a normal shooting attack (and the HoDA states that it is used instead of a shooting attack with the model's longbow).