Please Read: how to post an Army List

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Please Read: how to post an Army List

Post by godswearhats »

All,

With the influx of new members with the release of the new book, I thought it would be a good idea to post some guidelines for how to post an army list. Other mods, please feel free to update this with other ideas too. This should help people actually get useful feedback on their army lists and help avoid list-spam.
  • Include some questions that you want answered. Posting a list by itself will likely just get ignored.
  • It's OK to include point values per unit. Just make sure you don't itemize things to the point where you violate anyone's intellectual property.
  • Try to spell things correctly and avoid abbreviations (except ones that are in the guide). Lots of our members don't speak English natively, so help them out.
  • Mention what points value the list is, and what type of game (friendly, tournament, vs certain army, etc.)
Here's the start of a good example (numbers are made up)
2000 point list for local 3-game tournament.

I need some feedback on this list for a local tournament I'm going to, which has about 30 players. I'm expecting to see pretty much every army on the field, and I struggled in dealing with Warriors and Empire last time I went. I've added two units of Waywatchers to help me deal with the high armor saves in those armies. I'm concerned that I don't have enough punch to really finish off units in close combat though, and I don't know what Lore to take on my Spellweaver - please help!

Spellweaver, Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of ??? - 300
Glade Captain, BSB, HoDA, Hagbane tips, Elven Steed - 200

20x Glade Guard, Full Command, Trueflight - 350
And here's a bad one - again points values made up.

2000 points

Deathwvr, L4, tal/pres (50pts), BoL (30pts)
Lord on a stag, 80 point sword forget the name, you know the one I mean
20 Glade Guard, poison (2 pts a model), musician (8 pts), banner (8 pts), champ (8 pts)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Please Read: how to post an Army List

Post by frogboy »

Personally I don't like abbreviations like this for example; HoDA. I think when your a new player it's frustrating to see them and not know what the person is talking about.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

I'm not sure how feasible this is with the forum software we use, but I've seen other forums with an automatic highlight and infotext function for common abbreviations. It's clearly customisable by mods, as the Vampire Counts forum has abbreviations specific to Warhammer and to Vampire Counts, but not to other armies.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Yep, that's doable. I've also seen it on the Bretonnian forum. I'll investigate.

I'm fine with common abbreviations, that's why we have a guide. Besides, learning those abbreviations is part of what helps you join the club :-) However, I stand by the need to use them sparingly, and only the ones in common use.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

I dont see any reason why we cannot write it out in full. Typing is so quick anyway there is really no excuse not to type everything out in full (I have been guilty of this though). I must say that I still dont know what IMO means.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Blackcat wrote:I must say that I still dont know what IMO means.
In My Opinion, and IMHO is In My Honest/Humble Opinion ;)

I think abbreviations would definitely benefit from having the system the Vampire Counts and Bretonnia fora have. I personally prefer to write everything out as well in army lists. It avoids any confusion and when you present it to an opponent who may not know your army specifically, there are no misunderstandings and he can look up any rules or items he doesn't know. That is, after the game of course! Closed lists all the way!
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Typing out Hail of Doom Arrow is fine on my keyboard, but a real PITA (Pain in the Ass) on my phone. I'll investigate the abbreviation plug-in.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Oh wow, looks like you guys did it! I saw someone type HoDA, and it was underlined and everything!

Now that I think of it, my HoDA above will probably have the same, and this one! HoDa, HoDa, HoDA, HoDA! :lol:
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Also, do not post a unit with no upgrades and their point cost such as the example below.

10 x Glade Guard 440 pts

It's too easy to determine the point cost of each model. Of course the point cost of a single GG is not 44 points. We all know that it is 35 points. I just had to have my example not break the rules.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

OK, I've implemented the abbreviation roll over for most common abbreviations. There's a minor bug in it (the abbreviations don't highlight if they are at the start or end of a sentence), and it's case sensitive. If you spot anything weird around the site with lots of things highlighting that shouldn't, please let me know.

Here are a few examples that you might not know: HBT, TFA, AB, and of course the ever-confusing: WWR, WHR, WR, WW.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

Cheers, this is brilliant!

HoDA, HoDA, Hodor, Hodor! :D