120 Shots a turn / Asarai Bow cloud - 2500pts

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

ohmss
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons of Chaos, Empire

120 Shots a turn / Asarai Bow cloud - 2500pts

Post by ohmss »

After spending most of the weekend play testing and list writing there appears to me to be a small number of tournament viable lists. This may or may not be one but it's a shot at making a realistic avoidance shooting list. Would consider dropping a man from each Deepwood unit to give them Standards if needed for Fortitude and objective capturing.

INITIAL LIST
********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Spellweaver L4 Shadow, Elven Steed, Talisman of Preservation (in sisters)

Captain, BSB, HoDA, Steed (in sisters)
Waystalker, Bow of Loren
Waystalker, Charmed Shield
Waystalker

21 GG Trueshot, Muso, Standard
16 GG Bodkins, Muso, Standard

10 Deepwood Scouts, Bodkins
10 Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane
8 Sisters of Thorn, Full Command, Lichebone Pennant

10 Waywatchers
10 Waywatchers

I haven't run any averages but if half of these shots hit, and half wound, that's 30 wounds per turn. Combining the no armor saves and poisons, you might have a chance against a broader range of units. Deployment, positioning, and movement would be everything. You would have to avoid BS shooting and magic, sniping wizards at every opportunity. I think that this build can take out threats pretty well but might have problems in situations where there are too many counters to handle quickly.

TWEAKED LIST
********************************************************************************************************************************************************

After play-testing the above list, and based on overall recommendations of the thread, I've tweaked this list and had great success with it. Glade Guard had to go, in favor of more mobile troops. The critical thing with this list is maneuverability and deployment. Block troops don't really cut it. Keep in mind this list is tailored towards objective based, tournament Warhammer.

Spellweaver L4 Shadow, Elven Steed, Talisman of Preservation (in sisters)

Captain, BSB, HoDA, Steed (in sisters)
Waystalker, Bow of Loren
Waystalker
Waystalker

8 Glade Riders, Std, Mus, Hagbane
6 Glade Riders, Std, Mus, Starfire
6 Glade Riders, Std, Mus, Trueshot
5 Glade Riders, Std, Mus, Hagbane

10 Deepwood Scouts, Trueshot
8 Deepwood Scouts, Hagbane
8 Sisters of Thorn, Full Command, Lichebone Pennant

10 Waywatchers
10 Waywatchers
Last edited by ohmss on 11 May 2014, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

Re: 120 Shots a turn / Asarai Bow cloud - 2500pts

Post by Fitz »

I'm sure it's an oversight, but your wizard appears to have left home without her scroll...!

Other than that it looks suitably irritating.
ohmss
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ohmss »

I like to live dangerously! :)

There's no room in this list for a scroll. The ability to fire 6 sniping shots per turn at their wizards makes that easier to bear.

I played a game against high elves with this list last night. It went surprisingly well and I only lost because it was an objective based game that needed a big block for some of the points (Tournament practice)

It needs more play testing against a variety of opponents .I beat a lizardment skink cloud list with it on Sunday. I think my ideal match-up is Empire and warriors.

Having 3 drops, then characters is nice. I always get +1. I've heard there is a 0 drop list floating around.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

I'd like to see how that army plays. I can see a skaven army with the warpstorm (or whatever it's called) banner could prove problematic. That's very situational though (the situation being playing skaven). All in all, I think that's a win big or lose big list. Best of luck with it. :wink:
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
ohmss
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ohmss »

Im actually considering dropping the captain for 2 more Waystalkers. A BSB is going to have limited use in this army.

If I do that though, I might go to Glade Riders instead of Glade Guard in core and drop the sisters altogether.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

ohmss wrote:Im actually considering dropping the captain for 2 more Waystalkers. A BSB is going to have limited use in this army.

If I do that though, I might go to Glade Riders instead of Glade Guard in core and drop the sisters altogether.
I have to say, I'm not feeling the love for the sisters that everyone else seems to...
BSB does seem a little wasted if you're going to be sans-battleline. I never really miss not having one as WE's. Waystalkers are a much better bet.
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

I'm curious, why all the Bodkins? You already have 24 shots that completely ignore armor, would not more hagbane or trueshot merit you better on the GG and the scouts? The better chance to hit or wound seems like it would help out much more as not 100% of the enemy are going to be sporting 3+ or better.
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

I keep on seeing lists like this without eagles! Im so confused is you game plan to shoot off the entire other army before they get to you? If so you need to slow them up as much as possible. Eagle can slow a unit up for a whole turn/ or two if you lucky just for 50pts and yet no one takes them. Any reason behind this?
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

gingersmali wrote:I keep on seeing lists like this without eagles! Im so confused is you game plan to shoot off the entire other army before they get to you? If so you need to slow them up as much as possible. Eagle can slow a unit up for a whole turn/ or two if you lucky just for 50pts and yet no one takes them. Any reason behind this?
seconded.
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts (rarely)

Post by Ease »

How does an Eagle slow a unit down for a turn or two? Surely with so few wounds it'll die to anything the turn it charges/gets charged?
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

Imagine your glade guard is a turn away from being charged. In your movement phase the eagle plops itself nicely at an angle so if charged, the enemy unit faces away from your glade guard enough so if they do charge they either overrun away from your glade guard or have to combat reform and face your glade guard. Effectively buying you another turn of shooting which will hopefully finish them off.
If they dont charge, more shooting!
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

ohmss wrote: Having 3 drops, then characters is nice. I always get +1. I've heard there is a 0 drop list floating around.
2x 15 waywatchers
6x waystalker
Lots of gladeriders, add some scouts with hagbane tips for anti-warmachines duties.

It's a gimmick list, fun for the look on the other guys face, and surprisingly useable, but not really competitive. In reality it needs a couple of eagles and probably some sisters of the thorn at least for the +2 dispel and curse of anraheir, which you want in an avoidance list, maybe also a weaver with life (to replace losses from shooting and magic, buff toughness and hopefully use dwellers), or heavens (blowing enemy units around, buffing shooting and dropping space rocks to close off areas of battlefield). Would still only be 3 drop + character.

Gladeguard aren't good for avoidance, they can't move fast enough if they want to shoot, and they will end up getting charged by turn 3 as there isn't anything to block the enemy chargers, and the rest of the list is staying out of the way.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

But doesn't the 0 drop army always give up the +1 because you deploy scouts last, so your opponent is always done deploying before you?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Domine Nox wrote:But doesn't the 0 drop army always give up the +1 because you deploy scouts last, so your opponent is always done deploying before you?

Scouts don't count towards the +1 for deploying first.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

Beithir Seun wrote: Scouts don't count towards the +1 for deploying first.
Where is that posted? Because I wondered about that and searching the net everyone said it did give the +1 so where is the not giving it up, as that is good news.
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

I think glade guard are fine, if you only have 3 small units and you spread them out over the full length of you deployment zone, as it forces your opponent to spread their forces out and hopefully you can use good target priority to make sure you only loose 1.
The big units you have now aren't ideal for an avoidance list as they are a lot of point in one place that can't move, with eagles and other re-directors you should be able to buy your self more time, but still not the most competitive. If i was playing against your list i would deploy my combat block opposite your glade guard units and go straight for them knowing they can't run away. If you do want a big unit moonstone might be a shout but good players will see it coming.

Lastly i think designing a army specifically to win the +1 for first turn is silly as it is only a 21-15 chance that you win and you army need to be able to survive going 2nd.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

gingersmali wrote: Lastly i think designing a army specifically to win the +1 for first turn is silly as it is only a 21-15 chance that you win and you army need to be able to survive going 2nd.
The 0 drop army was designed for the advantage of forcing your opponent to deploy with nothing of yours on the table, and generally keeping him guessing. Well, that and having 6 waystalkers!

The +1 is just a nice bonus. Like I said though, it was never intended as a serious, competitive list.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Lord Sloth
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and High Elves

Post by Lord Sloth »

Domine Nox wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote: Scouts don't count towards the +1 for deploying first.
Where is that posted? Because I wondered about that and searching the net everyone said it did give the +1 so where is the not giving it up, as that is good news.
It was FAQed in the BRB FAQ, which is now found on the blacklibrary site:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." - Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren
ohmss
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ohmss »

I've play-tested this list and tweaked it a little bit. I've had good success playing scenarios for Nashcon with my revised list.

It's only 108 shots per turn now though. :cry: