Battle Report: 3000pts Sisters of Twilight vs Dwarfs

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Battle Report: 3000pts Sisters of Twilight vs Dwarfs

Post by LadyLoec »

"But sister, they approach our borders!" Arahan raged, "not to strike would be inviting them to bring their hulking machines of steel and fire into our glades! Will you be responsible for the burning of Loren? The cutting down of trees that have stood since the forgotten season?"
Naestra placed a hand on her sister's shoulder. "Calm yourself Arahan" she replied, an other-worldly serenity exuding from her words and touch. "They have been our allies in the past. Allow them passage and they may leave the forest alone."
Naestra's fury could not be dampened even by her sister's presence. "Your empathy leaves you blind! You counsel patience when you should be stringing your bow!" She knew her sister would not be easily roused to battle, but the forest that had birthed them both was under threat.

The debate continued back and forth, until a knock came at the door of their hall. "Enter" they said as one. Arahan's tone was abrupt, whilst Naestra's voice was inviting and warm.
Into the hall came Isciira and Naiya, skilled weavers of protection and devastation united under the sisters' rule. Their intrusion could only mean one thing.

Tears welled in Naestra's eyes as she looked at her sister. Arahan reached towards her, offering her bow and quiver. Naestra took it with a heavy heart as her sister smiled chillingly. "Worry not, sister", she said, "they will pay".

Wood Elves:
Lv4 Highweaver, Acorn of the Ages, Unicorn
Lv4 Darkweaver, Trickster's Shard
Sisters of Twilight on Gwindalor
Glade Captain BSB with Moonstone
Glade Captain with HoDA and great weapon
30 Eternal Guard, Shields and Banner of Discipline
20 Glade Guard, Starfire Arrows
20 Glade Guard, Moonfire Arrows
30 Wildwood Rangers, Standard and Musician
10 Wild Riders, Standard, Banner of Swiftness
10 Sisters of the Thorn, Standard, Gleaming Pennant

Dwarfs:
Runelord on Anvil of Doom (3 runes of warding, 2 runes of iron and a rune of shielding)
Dwarf Lord with Shieldbearers and Oathstone (2 runes of fortitude, a rune of iron and a rune of parrying)
Thane BSB with 3 runes of slowness
2 Engineers
2 Cannons (entrenched), one with flaming rune
1 Organ Gun, rune of accuracy.
30 Irondrakes, FC & 2 runes of slowness
30 Longbeards with Great Weapons
20 Thunderers with full command and shields
20 Thunderers with full command and shields

We rolled Battle for the Pass and 8 pieces of terrain, plus my free forest and 2 more forests from the acorn, which ended up as the picture below. We rolled for 2 hills right next to each other, so just used one big hill.

I won the roll off and took the side with the most buildings and the large hill. Placed my acorn forests so there was one in the corner behind the fence in his deployment zone (so it couldn't scatter too far) and one centre-front of his deployment zone (which didn't scatter).

Deployment (pic below)
My unit of Starfire glade guard in one of the buildings, Sisters of Twilight hidden from the cannons behind the other building. The rest mildly castled in the central forest, with the 2 units of cavalry either side. Highweaver in the sisters, Captain with HoDA in the EG, Darkweaver and BSB in the WWRs.

One thunderer unit in the building, one behind the fence. Irondrakes on one flank, Cannons and engineer on the other with the unkillable runelord. Organ gun in the centre. Longbeards with the lord and BSB in the central forest (which turned out to be an abyssal wood).

Other pre-game
Ancestral Grudge - his general hates my general. Darkweaver has Power of Darnkess, Chillwind, Bladewind, and Word of Pain. Highweaver has Soul Quench, Apotheosis, Hand of Glory, and Arcane Unforging. Wild Riders vanguard up.

I had +1 - I won the roll off for turn one.

Turn 1 Wood Elves
Movement: No charges. WWRs and Glade Guard move up slightly, so that WWRs are wholly within the forest. Eternal Guard move forward 5, again to get more in the forest. Wild Riders march up towards the organ gun. Sisters march up towards the cannons, avoiding the quicksand. Sisters of Twilight fly behind the venom thicket, so they can see between the GG and EG to shoot the longbeards. Wildwood rangers then teleport to the woods in front of the irondrakes.

Magic: Big phase - 11 dice! I cast Hand of Glory for +2 BS on sisters. He dispels Soul Quench on one of the cannons. I miscast Power of Darkess on 3 dice, giving WWRs +1 strength and me 1 die back. My miscast is small round template, killing 7 WWRs. Fails to wound the mage - I lose 3 dice. 3 left: I cast Arcane Unforging at the Runelord, which is dispelled. (I was hoping to cast Chillwind or Word of Pain to neuter the Irondrakes for that turn!).

Shooting: Javelins from the Sisters kill one cannon, causing panic on the other cannon, engineer, and the Thunderers in the building. Thunderers fail and abandon the building. Pretty much everything else shoots the Longbeards, who lose 7.

No Combat

Turn 1 Dwarfs
Movement: No Charges. Longbeards head towards my line. Thunderers rally.

Magic: Wrath and Ruin kills one Sister of the Thorn. I fail to dispel Oath and Steel, giving +1 armour save to the Longbeards.

Shooting: Organ gun kills 2 Wild Riders. Thunderers kill 7 more - 1 left. Cannon kills 3 Sisters of the Thorn. Engineer kills 1 more - 5 left + mage.

No Combat

Turn 2 Wood Elves
Movement: Remaining Wild Rider charges Organ Gun. WWRs charge the Irondrakes. Stand and shoot kills 7.
Sisters march up to the side of the remaining Cannon and the Anvil, facing them. Sisters of Twilight head over towards the hill.
Magic: He dispels Bladewind on the Thunderers. I cast the big Word of Pain on the Irondrakes for -1 WS and S.
Shooting: HoDA and both Glade Guard units kill 9 Longbeards (more training required). Sisters of the Thorn and Sisters of Twilight kill the remaining Cannon and wound the Engineer.
Combat: Wild rider kills the Organ Gun and Overruns into the Engineer. Wildwood Rangers kill 6 Irondrakes, but they kill 7 in return (it seems they can only die in 7's). They have one more rank, but drawn combat because of charge and BSB.

Turn 2 Dwarfs
Movement: No charges. Thunderers go back into the building. Longbeards keep moving forwards, trying to bait me out of the forest.
Magic: I dispel rune of oath and steel for +1 armour on the Longbeards again. He casts a 24" immune to psychology bubble.
Shooting: Everything has either moved or is out of range
Combat: Wild Rider kills the Engineer and runs off the board. WWRs and BSB kill 2 Irondrakes. They kill the remaining WWRs, but the 2 characters stay on insane courage.

Turn 3 Wood Elves
Movement: No charges. Eternal Guard shuffle a bit to be wholly in the forest. Wild Rider comes back on.
Magic: Dwarfs dispel Hand of Glory. I cast Apotheosis on one dice for a protection counter. I miscast on Word of Pain for -1 to WS and S on the Irondrakes again. Strength 6 hit is saved on the Highweaver by the unicorn's magic resistance, saved by the Sisters of the Thorn, but wounds the Darkweaver.
Shooting: Sisters of Twilight and Sisters of the Thorn kill the Engineer and do 2 wounds to the Runelord. Everything else shoots the Longbeards, killing 10
Combat: Mage and BSB are killed. Think they take one Irondrake with them.

Turn 3 Dwarfs
Movement: Longbeards finally give up and charge the Eternal Guard. Stand and shoot from the Glade Captain kills one though!
Magic: Low dice and bad rolling means I fail to dispel both +1 armour on the Longbeards and the immune to psychology bubble.
Shooting: Thunderers kill 2 Sisters of the Thorn
Combat: Eternal Guard lose their ASF because of the Dwarf banner. They kill 4 Longbeards, taking only 2 casualties in return. Dwarf Lord kills the Glade Captain in a challenge. Drawn combat I think.

Turn 4 Wood Elves
Movement: Wild Rider charges the Thunderers. Unicorn and Sisters charge the Runelord. Sisters of Twilight fly up a little, staying out of Thunderer range.
Magic: Successful Hand of Glory on Sisters unit for +2WS. I fail Curse of Anraheir on the Longbeards. Shield of Thorns goes up on the Sisters, but doesn't wound the Runelord.
Shooting: Kills 2 Thunderers and an Irondrake.
Combat: Eternal Guard kill 5, Longbeards kill 4. Longbeards lose, but stick because they're stubborn. Wild Rider kills 2 Thunderers, but they stay put and turn to face.

Turn 4 Dwarfs
No movement
Magic: I dispel +1 armour save on the Longbeards
Shooting: Irondrakes kill 1 Glade Guard in the building (bless you, hard cover)
Combat: Eternal Guard finish off the Longbeards and do one wound to the BSB. He and the Lord do 5 wounds in return. Again, no-one runs. Thunderers kill the lone Wild Rider and turn back.

Turn 5 Wood Elves
Movement: Glade Guard march out of the forest so they can see the Irondrakes next turn. The sisters on the eagle shuffle a bit and turn to face the Irondrakes.
Magic: Low phase. He dispels Hand of Glory. I cast Apotheosis for the protection counter.
Shooting: 2 dead Irondrakes (curse that 2+ ward against fire).
Combat: EG kill the BSB, but the Lord sticks around. We rejoice at no elven casualties. Sisters do 1 wound to the unbreakable Runelord.

Turn 5 Dwarfs
No movement
Magic: I dispel Rune of Oath and Steel. Shield of Thorns does one wound to the Runelord
Shooting: No wounds caused
Combat: 2 Eternal Guard are slain by the Lord, no wounds in return, but I have ranks and a banner. He is still stubborn and sticks around. By this point, we think the Sisters are bored of trying to wound the Runelord, and have started correcting grammar in the Book of Grudges.

Turn 6 Wood Elves
No movement
Magic: He's fed up of protection counters and dispels Hand of Glory and Apotheosis. I cast Curse of Anraheir on the Irondrakes and fail to re-cast Shield of Thorns
Shooting: 5 Irondrakes killed. They panic and run while Curse is on, and 5 more perish running through the forest.
Combat: The Lord kills 1 Eternal Guard, for no wounds in return. Still loses combat, but still doesn't run. No casualties in the Anvil combat again.

Turn 6 Dwarfs
Movement: Irondrakes fail to rally and 2 more fall over from having their shoelaces magically tied together.
Magic: Low phase. Runelord channels for first time in the game, but I dispel everything
No shooting
Combat: One sister dies, but they stick. One Eternal Guard dies, but again the Lord doesn't run.

End of Game
Elves score 1736 VP to the Dwarfs 1152. Wood Elf Victory.
Attachments
Deployment
Deployment
Deployment.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
Battlefield
Battlefield
Battlefield.png (12.76 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Battle Report: 3000pts Sisters of Twilight vs Dwarfs

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Thank you for the battle report! Great battle it seems!

When I saw the army list, I said "30 Irondrakes! Holy destruction batman!" but then they didn't seem to get much done. Perhaps the range?

Then I saw 30 LGs with GW and said "holy shredded cheese batman, that's what the elves are going to be" and they barely even made it to the line and then couldn't do much either anyway!

You picked apart the artillery and then while I love thunderers, the battle was won.

Thanks for sharing!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:When I saw the army list, I said "30 Irondrakes! Holy destruction batman!" but then they didn't seem to get much done. Perhaps the range?
I hate Irondrakes! But their short range is their downfall - plus they were hitting on 5's or 6's the whole time because of cover (WWRs in a forest and GG in a building). I was hoping the WWR's would take a few more of them out, but I lost a lot before they got into combat. It was unlucky for him that he panicked when they were cursed.
LiveWaaaaagh wrote:Then I saw 30 LGs with GW and said "holy shredded cheese batman, that's what the elves are going to be" and they barely even made it to the line and then couldn't do much either anyway!
He should've charged earlier on. He was worried about the extra rank of attacks and rerolling 1's while in the forest I think, but should've just gone for it. Dwarfs can take it - they are tough!

Is your battle report up yet?
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Yes it is!

But we're not too happy with it from a production perspective. We continue tweaking and looking to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaP6AePGNb8

Also, the -SPOILER- casket death had saves done wrong and I didn't measure the '' for the explosion. That was noted.
We also forgot ASF every now and then.
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LadyLoec »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:Yes it is!

But we're not too happy with it from a production perspective. We continue tweaking and looking to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaP6AePGNb8

Also, the -SPOILER- casket death had saves done wrong and I didn't measure the '' for the explosion. That was noted.
We also forgot ASF every now and then.
You seem to be learning a lot very quickly - those fast cav definitely did a better job, but I would've sent them around behind the tomb guard so they couldn't be shot!

Your only major errors were the dragon combat and panic.

With the dragon, you can't choose to allocate your attacks on the rider or the mount, you need to randomise (1-4 you hit the dragon, 5 you hit Naestra, 6 you hit Arahan), so the sisters may not have died. The dragon can also use his breath weapon in combat for some extra killing power. It's still a risky combat for the sisters, but remember, only one needs to live and they pop back to full wounds next turn!

With panic, you forgot panic checks after 25% casualties for the sisters of the thorn, but took them for your skeletons, who are immune because they're dead. As undead, psychology tests are your friend!

As a tactical note, If I were your opponent, I would have challenged in that tomb guard combat, as:
- You would have to accept if you want to keep using your tomb prince's WS
- The dragon and sisters would likely have killed him many times over
- The unit then wouldn't be able to attack the dragon (because the only thing in combat is in a challenge)
- The combat res would overspill onto the unit, crumbing a whole lot
Even if you accepted with the champion, a hell of a lot would've died to combat res with no risk to the sisters. It wouldn't have killed them all in one go, but it would've successfully neutered them for next turn so they aren't half as much of a threat!

Enjoying your reports - keep up the good work!
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Does it ever happen to you that you're like "No, I didn't make that mistake. You're kidding!"

The immune to psychology and panic test on skeleton is one of those.

Good call.

In terms of the dragon, I was under the impression that the randomizing ONLY applied when shooting and you could choose in CC. I stand corrected otherwise.
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

You can choose targets in close combat.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LadyLoec »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:Does it ever happen to you that you're like "No, I didn't make that mistake. You're kidding!"

The immune to psychology and panic test on skeleton is one of those.
Oh yeah, we've all done something like it at some point!!
Mollesvinet wrote:You can choose targets in close combat.
Even choosing to attack the mount and not the rider? I know you can allocate RE: characters in a unit, but didn't think you could look at an elf on a dragon and decide to hit the elf! :crazy:

EDIT: have just read it up and bow to your superior knowledge. Reason 645,896 not to field the sisters on the dragon!!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello again,

sorry for not adding the reference, but I am writing from work. Don't tell my boss.

The best thing about sisters on dragon compared to eagle is that at least the rules are clear haha.

I never used them, as I don't use special characters in general. They both have magical bows, so it seems a bit strange to put them on a dragon and go for combat anyway. Dragon in hero selection though! Could do double dragon.