Woodelves in Kings of Wars: Ideas and Comparisons

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Woodelves in Kings of Wars: Ideas and Comparisons

Post by Coyote81 »

First off, I know KoW doesn't have skirmishing units, this almost immediately makes you think that playing Woodelves just isn't possible, but lets discuss this in depth before writing off what I'm finding to be an amazing game.

I've been actively engaged in Kings of War 2nd and impressed by the game play and tactical movements. I'm a long time Woodelf player and Asrai.org visitor. Over the years, are Woodelves have undergone a lot of changes. From kings of shooting, to ambusher extraordinaire, and something in between. Lets see what we have in King of War.

So first off, we don't have an army all to ourselves in Kings of War, we have the following options:

Elf Armies: Elite elven warriors(The only army to have the elite rule on almost all of its units), war machines, various dragon riders all backed by a TreeHerder and his fellow Treespirits. This army represents all sorts of elves, from high to wood to sea elves. I find this list to be too high elfy for my own liking.

Twlight Kin: Vicious and bitter cousins. Representing the darker side of elves, after reading the lore and taking a look at the units, for a primarily elf army I find this a better fit for woodelves. Having units such as Shadows, blade dancers, reaperguard and crossbowmen. They are great fits for waywatchers/scouts, wardancers, wildwood rangers, and archers represented nicely.

Forces of Nature:This is a great fit for people that loves treespirits, centaurs (which I always wanted in my woodelf army), warhawk riders, large monsters, elementals and druids of various kinds. I find this the most interesting army, but it has practically no elven units. Warhawk riders, druids (Treesingers), and a block of possible elven warriors(hunters of the wild).

So lets go through the Woodelf Armybook and match units to their best KoW counterparts:

INFANTRY:
Eternal Guard: Twlight Kin Spearmen or Elf Army Tallspears , Elf Amries also has Palace Guard for an elite version. I guess you could field these as hunters of the wild, but those are more offensively oriented elves, spearmen just don't quite do it.

Glade Guard: Twlight Kin Crossbowmen or Elf Arm Kindred Archers.

Deepwood Scouts: Twlight Kin Shadows or Elf Army Gladestalkers

Waywatchers:Twlight Kin Shadows or Elf Army Gladestalkers

Dryads:Forces of Nature Naiad Ensnarers, Elf Armies or Force of Nature both have Hunters of the Wild. Twlight Kin also have Lower Abyssals

Treekin: Forces of Nature and Elf Armies both have Tree Shamblers

Wardancers: Twlight Kin Blade Dancers, Force of Nature or Elf Armies have Hunters of the Wild (these do not counts as elves for the Elf Armies)

Wildwood Rangers: Twlight Kin Reaper Guard (The only elven infantry with crushing strength)

Cavalry:

Glade Riders: Elf Armies Silverbreeze Cavalry, Twlight Kin Heralds of Woe

WildRiders: Elf Armies Stormwind Cavalry or Twlight Kin Dark Knights

Sisters of the Thorn: Elf Armies Silverbreeze Cavalry, Twlight Kin Heralds of Woe (No special cavalry units to represent these guys)

Warhawk Riders: Forces of Nature Sylph Talonriders

HEROS AND MONSTERS

Ariel (My favorite form the past): Forces of Nature and Elf Armies have the Green lady special character. Twlight Kin have Sorceresses

Orion: Forces of Nature and Elf Armies have Treeherders. Twlight Kin have the Arch Fiend of the Abyss. Elf Armies has nothing that fits.

Woodelf Lord/Princes: Elf Armies King/Prince,Twlight Kin Dark Avengers/Lords
-on horse: Same
-on Warhawk: Twlight Kin have a pegasus
-on Dragon: Both have a Dragon
-on Stag:Forces of Nature have a Unicorn, Twlight Kin have an abyssal mount.
-BSB: Elf Armies and Twlight Kin have both foot and mounted versions.

TreeSingers:Elf Armies Mages, Twlight Kin Sorceresses, Forces of Nature Druids
-horse:Elf Armies and Twlight Kin have this option, druids do not
-Warhawk: Twlight Kin have pegasus, Forces of Nature have 2 flying mage special characters

Treemen: Elf Armies and Forces of Nature have Treeherders that cast spells, Twlight Kin have no spell casting Arch Fiends of the Abyss

Giant Eagles: Forces of Nature have Beasts of Nature

Unicorns: Forces of Nature have them

A quick explanation of how allies work in Kow.
-25% of your army can be allies, but they have to have their own regiment/hoard for their appropiate hero/monster/warmachine
Elf Armies is a good alignment army
Forces of Nature is Neutral
Twlight Kin Evil

Thus you can mix Forces fo nature with either elf army, but not either of the elf armies together.

Some tactics to come. Let me know what you think. What have you learned? What questions do you have?
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Woodelves in Kings of Wars: Ideas and Comparisons

Post by frogboy »

This is a great introduction to using Wood Elves in KOW from a model perspective, the worst thing I find starting a new game is trying to figure out what units a what so thanks for going through the list and matching comparable units, it makes getting started with an existing army a little easier. I'm sure there are other options too with a little bit of imagination. I've heard nothing but good things about this game.

Thanks for sharing,
frogboy :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah