Treefolk and Magic Banners

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Treefolk and Magic Banners

Post by Phil Rossiter »

With the new list for Sylvan Elves in 9th Age, more options for running Tree Spirits have popped up. Consider this quote from Kyrre on TWF:

"Dont know if you are reading this Matt, or if you know the answer Amit, but how are Treefolk able to take the banner that gives them fight in extra ranks? Treefolk have no option to take magical banner, and neither does the Treefolk BSB, as he can only select an aspect, no magic items. It leads me to the conclusion that the 9th team intentional does not want Treefolks to take that banner (only Elves?) because it is sure as hell broken when Treefolk strike with 3 AP S5 attacks in 3 ranks!"

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 0&start=30

So what is going on here? Basically a Treeman is taking the Aspect that gives a unit of Treefolk +1 S. Put a Treefolk Elder BSB in that unit and give him the Forest banner (fight in extra rank) and you can see what Kyrre is talking about. Whether it is legal is another matter.

But the bottom line is that a unit of S5 AP Treekin is a serious proposition. Even without the third rank it's putting out a lot of attacks. With T5, 4+ Armour and 5+ Ward it's very hard to put wounds on. There's even an Aspect that lets you give them command, so Swift Reforms for example become a thing.

Are Tree Spirits the new hotness?
noneshallpass!
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Treefolk and Magic Banners

Post by noneshallpass! »

I just got two games of 9th, and I haven't tried the Treekin yet, but three ranks of attacs might be a bit powerfull. I could still picture myself using Treefolk BSB instead of some elf that has to be hiden behind the lines with the Doom Arrow.

I used to enjoy playing with with forest spirits backed up by elven cavalry and shooting. So far I am very happy with the changes made to the forest spirits. While probably exagerating, it seems like I declared more charges is my two games of 9th than during my last two tournamets of 8th. The team might have managed to capture the spirit of 2005.

I do not mind if the treemonic legion bing an option, as long as it is balanced in power level, and isn't the only viable way of playing SE.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Treefolk and Magic Banners

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Just played a game against Mollesvinet (I was using High Elves). He had a unit of 5 Treekin plus BSB with the re-roll hits in challenge Aspect (which we managed to forget!). He also had Lvl 4 'Beasts' Treeman Ancient with Dispel Scroll and the Aspect that gave the Treekin +1S.

In general, the Treekin held up pretty well against Swordmasters (who are hardcore again now), though more models could have been good. The Armour Piercing helps, as does the 5+ Ward of course. I actually had more shooting and magic but it was the wood elves who ate the brunt of this, not the tougher Tree Spirits.