All a dream?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

All a dream?

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

So, I had basically purged warhammer from my life (with great regret) after AoS turned out to be everything I had feared, this being the proverbial camel-maiming straw after 20 years of devotion to the hobby. Although I have been feeling a strong compulsion to do some painting recently.

Now I was just going through my email, looking through all the unread junk to kill time (I have to get up in 3 hours to go to a regional work conference, so I figured I might as well just stay up now), when I saw an email from tapatalk mentioning an Asrai.org thread about "9th age". Desperately trying not to get my hopes up, I logged back in for the first time in months, to see posts about what appears to be a real 9th edition.

Is this real? Have GW really gone back and made 9th edition? It's not more of that AoS junk, but a real continuation of my beloved Warhammer? Or have I dozed off and started fantasizing?
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: All a dream?

Post by Billthesurly »

Well you're not dreaming but it isn't GW who are doing 9th Age and it certainly isn't AoS. It's the Swedish ETC guys who are doing most of the heavy lifting with a lot of input from the global player base chipping in. I have read over it and I am impressed. This is not just some fan-boy, OP fantasy. These guys are serious and are doing a professional job of it. You may not agree with everything they've done but even though I have not yet played the system it looks VERY promising. I can't wait to try it at the local game shop (Little Wars, Baton Rouge) which is adopting 9th Age for what used to be called the monthly "Warhammer Fantasy" tournament.

You can check it out by going here: http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Also check out Mollesvinet's 9th age battle report on this site. Skip to the end (page 8) http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28221
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advertisement Bill :D

Coyle keep in mind that the battle report was done in version 0.9 while the current version is 0.9.1. I should probably start writing 9th age version numbers on my battle reports.

One of the good things about having a community based game is excessive PLAYTESTING and UPDATING. Hope you will enjoy it.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Yeah, I realised that it was a community project soon after posting that.

I've spent a few hours grazing through the rules looking for how each part will mesh together. I often thought the biggest problem with GW rules in recent years is that each rule is fine in a vacuum, but once you put them together, too many contradictions and loopholes appear. So far these look pretty good though.

I'm quite pleasesd that it's them doing it really. We won't all agree with every decision they make, but I'm pretty confident in predicting a more balanced, stable and consistent product from them than the GW team ever manage.

Looking through the Sylvan Elves rules I was quite pleased. Not quite what I would have done, but it looks good. My only real gripe is the continued absence of the 6th ed S4 longbows at close range and no to-hit penalty for moving and shooting, and I'm pretty resigned to that loss now[WHITE SMILING FACE]
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Mollesvinet wrote:One of the good things about having a community based game is excessive PLAYTESTING and UPDATING. Hope you will enjoy it.
I would have said "sufficient" PLAYTESTING and UPDATING. :p :thumbsup:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Yes you are right Bill. At least the message came through :)
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Well that was always a very weak spot for GW. They never seemed to "test to destruction" the way players of the game would actually use the rules they published. It most often seemed to me that the GW play-testers were using some kind of gentlemen's agreement when testing so as not to break the system and they wouldn't diligently look for the hidden flaws. 9th Age guys are drawing upon the combined experience of a good bit of the worlds best Warhammer players. They/we have a pretty good idea of what's broken and how to fix it and unlike GW they're willing to listen to other's opinions.