9th Age Core Rules -First Impressions

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

9th Age Core Rules -First Impressions

Post by Phil Rossiter »

This is a list of the things that struck me on reading the core rules, especially differences with 8th edition. I've surely missed stuff but found the following interesting:

1) Lords now 35% max, total characters 50% max. Looks promising.
2) Open lists as standard.
3) Clever ways of representing GW's special dice with D6's.
4) It feels like a genuine evolution of Warhammer.
5) No longer snake eyes to Rally a unit down to 25%, half Ld instead.
6) Spell definitions more detailed.
7) Only one Channel but +1 for each Channeller.
8) Miscasts punish use of more dice heavily.
9) Aided Casting/Dispelling mitigates lack of a lvl4.
10) You can now Dispel Scroll an IF (which only gives a bonus to casting roll).
11) Shooting mods etc done model by model.
12) Reforms after combat etc (not Combat Reforms) replaced by Pivots.
13) R&F can always choose to attack enemy unit (so no 'Character Wall'), allocating hits like shooting.
14) Bonuses for getting whole ranks into Flank and Rear, 2 ranks breaks Steadfast (suspicious of this).
15) Monsters count as a single rank on their own.
16) Cavalry use T of mount if this is higher than rider's.
17) Combat Attacks on Ridden Monsters always target the Monster.
18) Parry is now -1 to be hit.
19) AHW gives +1 Initiative (good for Wardancers).
20) Spears give Lethal Strike vs Cav, Mon Cav & Chariots. This new rule replaces KB with pretty much no armour save and no Regen possible.
21) Cannonballs Scatter and nerfs to damage after the initial model hit.
22) Look out Sir replaced with hit automatically transferring to R&F if five or more of same Unit Type as character present.
23) More restrictions on Make Way.
24) BSB re-roll is now optional.
25) BSB taking magic standard below 50pts can fill up the rest with other magic items.
26) BSB breaking from combat loses all BS features but doesn't auto-die.
27) Heavy penalties for refusing a Challenge.
28) You can keep attacking a dead challenger at later I steps for Overkill but max +3.
29) A Champion means you can never roll less than 4 for Charges.
30) Lots of Terrain blocks Line of Sight. New height system for models re LoS and shooting mods etc..
31) 50% VP's for units down to 25% or Fleeing at game end.
32) Free Reform ability (our cav) means 0 ranks.
33) ASF gone. Replaced with +1 to hit, or strike at Initiative if using Great Weapon. High Initiative now critical guys!
34) Mounted characters can join Skirmishers.
35) Magic Items similar but some changes.

Phew! I'd welcome any comments on these points or if you can find important changes I've missed for discussion.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: 9th Age Core Rules -First Impressions

Post by Billthesurly »

Thanks Phil. I found most of these in casual perusal but it's very nice to have 'em all in one place so I can hunt them down as needed.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome Bill. I find it helps me also to write stuff like this down and then post it up, makes it easier to remember.

Of course we're only really likely to learn it fully by playing it and making mistakes.
Tox
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tox »

Phil Rossiter wrote:You're welcome Bill. I find it helps me also to write stuff like this down and then post it up, makes it easier to remember.

Of course we're only really likely to learn it fully by playing it and making mistakes.
Thanks for the update!
Cant in it, but can an eagle Hero now also join the hawkriders?

I remeber 8th excluding it specifically

Cheers
Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Orion »

+ characters on flying mounts can join flying units (unless the character is on a monster).
This is tempting for us, I think! Warhawk riders became good!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Too bad wardancers does not have AHW. Instead they have 2 attacks on their profile and the option to pick shields. Now shields are really good for them as they gain parry, but it just doesn't feel right. I would prefer them having AHW (even at basic elven initiative to gain 6I as before) and then the option to upgrade "distraction" which is basically what you pay for when you get the shield.

Good list though, hadn't spotted all of them on my first read-through!

Eagle characters in flying units are very interesting. Either to join warhawks or just a pack of great eagles! Tempted to try a flying mage in a pack of eagles instead of the traditional sister of thorne bunker.

EDIT: Can't see anything mentioning you can't join flying units with flying characters, but it does not clearly state that you can either... or am I wrong?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Mollesvinet wrote:Too bad wardancers does not have AHW. Instead they have 2 attacks on their profile and the option to pick shields. Now shields are really good for them as they gain parry, but it just doesn't feel right. I would prefer them having AHW (even at basic elven initiative to gain 6I as before) and then the option to upgrade "distraction" which is basically what you pay for when you get the shield.
I couldn't believe that when I read it this afternoon. AHW is the classic for Wardancers isn't it? But in older editions, they could take shields. I6 should be good enough against most things I guess. The whole 'no ASF' thing makes the higher initiative of elf characters really attractive.

As things stand I can't see many restrictions re unit type of characters joining units. So an Eagle Rider could join Warhawks or a guy in a chariot, cavalry. If true that's a big change. As said Monsters still can't.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Well we may not have ASF any more but as a rule our initiatives are still pretty high and all elves get the lightning reflex +1 to hit. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It is indeed, hitting on 2's is pretty sweet and there are spells and such for re-rolls.

The issue I guess is what Thomas flagged up in the WE list thread. A lot of dangerous stuff (WoC, Elves, Characters etc.) is I5+. With ASF you could remove some before they struck, so reducing any damage they did to you. Now (as we've seen previously with GW elites) a lot of elves die. I6 on Wild Riders looks excellent. As said, I'm loving the damage a tooled-up elf Lord will be able to do at I8 and with +1 to hit. If the enemy does survive he is better defensively now too.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

There are still many complains. Generally speaking, Parry is one of the most complaint about, Light. Ref. after that, in my opinion. If we are talking about Sylvan Elves, their meta has changed. We became more CC army than shooting. Reason behind this is that Rules Team wanted to balance the avoidance&shooting lists. I'm afraid they did that too well. Now Highborn Elves can make avoidance&shooting better than we could before and no one not even blinks on that.

People also complain about Sylvan Elves being too strong and over powered, especially Bladedancer heroes and Avatar of Nature (and all other trees). Also, our shooting was nerfed. But I like it so I'd say in a good way nerfed. Now if you take any of the special Fey Arrows, you lose AP(1) and volley fire rules. Only downfall of that is expensiveness of our archers: their cost is too high. At this stage, it is better to take cc units than archers.

There is about a month before new release. Until then, some changes will happen. After that, changes will be rarely, only related to broken stuff.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

That all makes sense Yuri.

I'm looking forward to running 9th Age Wood Elves with a good close combat element. I still feel the shooting looks good, might be a case of the right mix of unit and arrow types. Keeping access to ten Lores gives a lot of build options too.

Skirmishing Dryads again look decent but not amazing, I'm warming to Treekin but S4 is a limitation.
Ikhoornix
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ikhoornix »

Phil Rossiter wrote: 31) 50% VP's for units down to 25% or Fleeing at game end.
To elaborate on this: You get 50% VP's for units that are at 25% or less of their starting wounds. This now applies to Characters and Monsters as well.
Ancient wisdoms:
- He who always takes the level path will never end up in the mountains
- Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.