AoS: Wanderer host or large group of Glade Guard

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

jgibz
Newcomer
Newcomer

AoS: Wanderer host or large group of Glade Guard

Post by jgibz »

Is it better to get a Wanderer Host with two smaller groups of Glade Guard (10 and 20) or a regular list with a large group of Glade Guard (30)? Is the Wanderer Host worth it?

I have a friendly event (3 games) coming up with 100 wounds. I barely have enough models/wounds.

What I have:
1 Glade Lord
1 Spellweaver
1 Waywatcher Lord (although I can only take two heroes)
1 Treeman/Ancient
8 Glade Riders
6 Waywatchers
12 Dryads
20 Eternal Guard
and around 40 Glade Guard
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Re: AoS: Wanderer host or large group of Glade Guard

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Wanderer Host is awesome! I like to use 2 units of 24 Glade-Guard, that way I can hit on 3+. The ambushing rule can make or break you depending on what your enemy deploys and if he/she knows you're about to surround them. If they deploy a cannon or catapult or something you want to ambush from 20" away and kill it with one volley.
The trick is, deploy units normally until you set aside your ambushers, and finish deployment first. If they have a fast army then let them go first (you get to choose who goes first because you finish deployment first). Then they'll have few choices to attack. If they have multiple war machines you'll want to go first and try to take them out.
If you're facing a faster army they'll kill anything you put on their side of the board, so they are the army you'll want to let go first so you can surprise them with how you set up your forces.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Zhorphorus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zhorphorus »

What is the ambush rule?
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Deploy during your first movement, anywhere within 6" of a board edge and more then 9" away from an enemy. You can basically do it to your entire army.
AoS is the greatest!
Ambiguous Asrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ambiguous Asrai »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Wanderer Host is awesome! I like to use 2 units of 24 Glade-Guard, that way I can hit on 3+.
Do you go for 24 models in a unit so that you can take a few losses without having to miss out on the 3+ to Hit?

I'm trying to wrap my head around building a 75 wound army with the Wanderer's Host. It's difficult to know what's actually worth taking and what isn't, when in 8th I knew instinctively what to go for no matter what. If anyone can help fine-tuning this, it'd be appreciated.

We know we need...

1 Glade Lord -- Araloth? Do we go for a mounted one/one with a battle standard?
1 Spellsinger -- seems obvious. Go for the mounted route for mobility
2 units of Glade Guard -- Best to go two units of 20 just to take advantage of their special rule?
1 unit of Glade Riders -- How many is too many? I avoided this in 8th so I'd need to pick them up for AoS
1 unit of Eternal Guard -- 20 seems like a solid number just due to how durable they can be, but this may be the unit to skimp on? I hear they're very good now.
1 unit of Waywatchers, War Dancers or Wildwood Rangers -- I feel like, if we have to have Eternal Guard, we should support it with War Dancers. We also will wind up having a minimum of 40 Glade Guard, so we have a lot of ranged attacks already.

What do folks think?
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Well that, and 24 is a highly composite number. :thumbsup:

My group has been using the AoS BattleLine/Pointcost Algorithm :http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28863

Glade Guard and Eternal Guard are amazing under these rules. Glade Guard shoot through much more expensive units with ease, and EG can laugh off an ogre charge (if they are chilling in the woods and using 'Fortress of Boughs') because then they have a 3+ save, rerolling 1s and 2s.
AoS is the greatest!
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Oh, and to answer your questions...

I typically build:
Minimum Glade Riders
Minimum Wardancers (over Waywatchers and Rangers, but Waywatchers are a good choice too)
Maximum Glade Guard (bodkins are the greatest)
Enough Eternal Guard (to cover your GG in a long defensive line)

As far as heroes go...
Governor Trojanoak fights on foot with his trusted hunting falcon and his Hail of Doom Arrow(simple GladeLord build). A beautiful spell-singer stands behind him, serenading the battlefield with tales of his glory.
AoS is the greatest!