AOS Wood Elf units, strengths/weaknesses

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: AOS Wood Elf units, strengths/weaknesses

Post by the_red_Dane »

popisdead wrote:
overtninja wrote:Jury's out on stacking casts of Mystic Shield.
I thought I read somewhere you can stack modifiers. Someone on twitter posted a quote of it. It could just be someone quoting some random forum post.

As an example: You can stack +1's to your save roll, for example by having mystic shield and being in cover for a total of +2 to your save roll, which makes sense, however stacking from more than one mystic shield seems a bit weird, I'd argue that mystic shield gives +1 regardless of how many times you cast in on a unit. Otherwise, you can just grab a unit, and six wizards and give yourself a +6 to all saves with mystic shields with that unit.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

the_red_Dane wrote: As an example: You can stack +1's to your save roll, for example by having mystic shield and being in cover for a total of +2 to your save roll, which makes sense, however stacking from more than one mystic shield seems a bit weird, I'd argue that mystic shield gives +1 regardless of how many times you cast in on a unit. Otherwise, you can just grab a unit, and six wizards and give yourself a +6 to all saves with mystic shields with that unit.
A lot of the transition from WFB 8th edition to AoS is weird. For example you can have Bravery 11.

I wouldn't be surprised to see stackable Mystic Shield on a unit and I wouldn't call anyone on it.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

The problem is that in AoS a 1 is not an automatic failure and a 6 is not an automatic success. So if you can get your save down below +1 preferably to a -2 to avoid that pesky but rare 3 rend you unit is literally immortal against anything but mortal wounds.

I'd still say that stacking the same effect is out.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

To the same effect if you are not a WFB veteran what is stopping you taking 3 Beastmen BSBs so your Gors auto wound?

Nothing.

I own two of the limited edition army box Beastmen BSBs, there is one reason I cannot take both and have my Gors wound on 2s, re-rolling 1s, or my Bestigors Auto-wounding. That reason is the social contract of this game. Facing a lot of monsters? Sure bet I'm going to do that. Facing a very similar army where I don't need that?, I'll stop deploying before the second BSB hits the table. All this is defined in the rules.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"