3500pts - advice against Ogres needed!

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts (rarely)

3500pts - advice against Ogres needed!

Post by Ease »

So, this tournament is a (slowly) on-going one, and I have to use the list below, with zero changes. I've not played against Ogres with Wood Elves before, but I have seen them fight a couple times. Any advice would be appreciated!

Lords
Durthu
Spellweaver, Lvl4 on Steed (to go in Sisters of the Thorn), MagRes(3)
660ish pts

Heroes
1 Spellsigner (Lvl2 with dispel scroll)
1 Glade Captain BSB on Steed, with +2 Strength Sword, Enchanted Shield. (To go in Wild Riders)
300ish pts

Core
12 Glade Guard with Poison Arrows
11 Glade Guard with Poison Arrows
900ish pts

Special
6 Sisters of the Thorn
12 Wild Riders with full command and shields
7 Wild Riders with full command and shields
7 Wild Riders with full command and shields
10 Deepwood Scouts with Arcane Bodkins (-3 Armour Save)
3 Warhawk Riders
1400ish pts

Rare
8 Waywatchers
8 Waywatchers
300ish pts
Last edited by Ease on 19 Jun 2015, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: 3500pts - advice against Ogres needed!

Post by razorfate »

Your rare choice is illegal. Warhawks are special.
Other than that purple sun will save the day.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

If you can't change your list, then I'm guessing he can't change his list either, do you know anything about it?

Waywatchers will take care of Mournfangs.
Beware of any Ogre wizards with a hellheart, I believe it's range is 24".
I would go with the Lore of Life personally, but you have some flexibility there.

Good luck!
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Hyarion wrote: Beware of any Ogre wizards with a hellheart, I believe it's range is 24".
It's actually d6 x 5". So it's less predictable and depends how much of a risk you're willing to take
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

be very selective with your charges. WW porbs done need to go after mournfang I reckon WR with that BSB will made very very short work of them front or side charge.

I don't know how you've grown this army but you will have some problems with redirecting. the sisters of the thorn and WW might end up as chaff just to keep the hordes at bay.

if you can cause panic tests all the better for you, if they have a BSB I'd recommend kamikaze a unit of WR in to kill it if you can ;)
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

razorfate wrote:Your rare choice is illegal. Warhawks are special.
Other than that purple sun will save the day.
Good catch! They should be inside specials, but I believe the points are still okay.
youngseward wrote:
Hyarion wrote: Beware of any Ogre wizards with a hellheart, I believe it's range is 24".
It's actually d6 x 5". So it's less predictable and depends how much of a risk you're willing to take
What does it do?!
Hyarion wrote:If you can't change your list, then I'm guessing he can't change his list either, do you know anything about it?

Waywatchers will take care of Mournfangs.
Beware of any Ogre wizards with a hellheart, I believe it's range is 24".
I would go with the Lore of Life personally, but you have some flexibility there.

Good luck!
Nope, he can't change his, but the last time I saw it was 6 months ago, and that was just for a brief moment. Ditto him seeing my list (yes, I'm saying I could easily cheat, but I won't, because then I'll get no enjoyment :P).

From what I've seen him play before, there will be Mournfangs (three?), and then a horde of something. Probably Ironguts. He recently (just before we wrote our lists) had the big tusked mammoth thing bought for him, so that's probably in there too.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Hagbane-tips are the go-to solution for ogres. Someone already mentioned waywatchers for mournfang. You don't want to charge anything you can't kill with one turn. You'll be fine, I'm sure. :thumbsup:
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Hagbane-tips are the go-to solution for ogres.
Yeah, I got lucky with those. I couldn't decide between Moonfire Shafts and Starfire, and was tempted to do 50/50, as the other armies in the tournie are: HE, Dwarves, Lizards, Daemons, Orcs and Goblins, and Vampire Counts. But then half my arrows would be wasted points each match, so I went with the poison.

For the curious, Daemons decked Dwarves in match one. Epidermis just hid inside some portal off the board, powering up all of the Nurgles all game.

Match two will be Vampires versus Orcs and Goblins. Our Orcs and goblin general is our best player, though he normally plays HE.

Then WE vs Ogres will be match three.

It's an elimination style tournie, so the Dwarves are out, and the Daemons will be facing the winner of Vampires/OrcsNGoblins. If I beat the Ogres (and I hope to), I'll be facing either HE or Lizards.

Oh, and one last interesting tidbit... we allocate players to armies at random when the match begins... so I might be commanding the Ogres against my own list! :lol:
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Hellheart causes a miscast to all wizards within range
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

I can see all your glade glade units dont have musicians, so they cant reform AND shoot at a fast incoming enemy from the side or behind.
I would also ask why you have chosen not to bring any great eagles, they could help you get one more round of shooting off or stall something nasty.

and im a bit curious what lores does your weaver and singer have?
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

Rafiki wrote:I can see all your glade glade units dont have musicians, so they cant reform AND shoot at a fast incoming enemy from the side or behind.
I would also ask why you have chosen not to bring any great eagles, they could help you get one more round of shooting off or stall something nasty.

I like to stick to the models I have as much as possible, and I don't have any eagles yet. Simple as that :p

Lores can be chosen on the day, and I've not decided yet. Far too much to chose from! What would you recommend?
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rafiki »

You should definitely get two models you can use as great eagles then, they are very much worth it.

And i am not the best player, i usually battle orcs and goblins, lizardmen and tomb kings.

For the lvl 2 i would recommend either lore of fire or metal.
here i lean most to fire, because fireball has so much utility and if you are lucky you can grab either Flaming sword of rhuin, burning heads to force panic test and fulminating flame cage to lock down a unit cheap or see it get punished.
But if your opponents likes to bring many units with very good armour saves, then metal could be very good for you.

For magic you already have access to at minimum wyssan's wild form from durthu, along with the two spells from the sisters.

So for the lvl 4 i would say either death or high
Death magic because of purple sun, i think you mentioned 4 armies where that alone can win you the game, the other can be usefull too.
High magic because Arcane unforging can really destroy a strategy(banner of +2 ward, blender vampires etc.), fiery convocation is good on hordes too. you can get more magic missles, walk between worlds can be very fun to cast on a unit that is in close combat with savage orcs, since they dont have magic weapons they suddenly cant hurt you. better than a +2 ward :sexy: tried it once before on his horde, but he didnt break.

And if durthu rolls either the amber spear of savage beasts of horrors keep it
But you should take any of my advice with a grain of salt and figure out what works best for you.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Rafiki wrote:I can see all your glade glade units dont have musicians, so they cant reform AND shoot at a fast incoming enemy from the side or behind.

I must say: I've played with 3 units of GG the last 10 games and I've never had music in them and I have never had to reform. Even with reform they are too slow to escape approaching units. I usually deploy them 30 inch from the enemy and just move back 3 inch each turn with the unit they are approaching. And wheeling if I need to turn a bit. I've not yet had enemies from the side myself and I usually have warhawks on the flanks and 2 units of WR behind my own lines.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rafiki »

Seems i need to improve my skills to that lvl then :nod:

But Aezeal how does your way account for ambushers or fast flying stuff that is hard to kill.
Zer0
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zer0 »

Would echoe the suggestion for death on the spell weaver, combos great against the ogres and the increased mobility from the horse negates the poor range quite a bit