Flaming Sword of Ruin

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Flaming Sword of Ruin

Post by Aezeal »

It's not really for an all comers list.

But if we take a large unit of GG with *fire arrows and we cast this simple spell.. do the bonus stack so we always wound on 4+ at worst? Seems like a nice option to deal with a lot of nasty stuff.

Has anyone tried this?

Sadly fire lore isn't all that besides this spell.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Flaming Sword of Ruin

Post by Mollesvinet »

I don't see why it wouldn't stack. However, you would need a big unit of both starfire and moonfire arrows.

Fireball is a really good spell as well, guess you could go for a level 2 caddie and cross your fingers! Otherwise you could go for a double level 4 list, might be worth it against some armies with fire.

Doubt it will ever be a "bread and butter" spell though.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Could be good on Waywatchers too, vs T 5/6/7 for example it doubles their damage.

Flame Cage is a decent spell, a lvl2 has a fair chance of rolling either this or Flaming Sword and swapping another spell for Fireball.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Yeah I might try that sometimes.

While talkign about spells: how does savage beast work with riders and mounts.. and more specifically with the sisters on their mounts... does the non-boosted version give all 3 of them the bonus or just one of the targetted sisters?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Can't cast savage beast on wild riders as they aren't characters.

Not sure about the sisters, I guess non-boosted would only target one of them but that is just based on my intuition.

The usual debate is whether savage beast affects a characters mount or not. In this case I vote no.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Hmm, I don't think Sisters are characters either, technically.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Depends if we are talking about sisters of thorn or sisters of twilight :P
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

:)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Sisters of Twilight.. I don't use the other sisters atm.

And Flaming sword might make waystalkers a bit better too. Much more reliable wounding. Not sure it's worth it though.. you'd need to put every waystalker in the same unit (of ww?) or keep them as a unit together (and loose skirmish).
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

But cast Flaming Sword and Hand of Glory on that unit of Waystalkers.

Which does he dispel?

:)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

He probably just casts a boosted doombolt on the unit and gets 400 VP even if he rolls badly.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

I played a game stacking flaming sword with flaming arrows and it was an unexpected success.

The unit was comprised of a level 4 fireweaver and 20 glade guard (7x3) with full command and Starfire arrows versus ogres. I actually took out a unit of 8 iron guts before they reached my lines with that combination of wounding on 4s and Fire spells. I ended up winning that game due to me splitting this line early and exploiting the hole. It was also funny that the unit caused enough wounds on a stand and shoot to panic a charging ogre unit away. Never saw anyone do that to an ogre unit before

Needless to say that unit was huge and costly investment, even at 2k, but damn was it fun and effective. I just wonder how effective it would be against other armies like elves. The shots would be wounding on 2s then...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

sunstrider wrote:I played a game stacking flaming sword with flaming arrows and it was an unexpected success.

The unit was comprised of a level 4 fireweaver and 20 glade guard (7x3) with full command and Starfire arrows versus ogres. I actually took out a unit of 8 iron guts before they reached my lines with that combination of wounding on 4s and Fire spells. I ended up winning that game due to me splitting this line early and exploiting the hole. It was also funny that the unit caused enough wounds on a stand and shoot to panic a charging ogre unit away. Never saw anyone do that to an ogre unit before

Needless to say that unit was huge and costly investment, even at 2k, but damn was it fun and effective. I just wonder how effective it would be against other armies like elves. The shots would be wounding on 2s then...
If they have low armor it will work I guess. But on such a huge unit he should not make the mistake once (let alone twice) not to dispell it. Good to hear it helped against an army against which other shooting is less effective.. I've got no ogre opponents else I might try it.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Too bad the ogres are not forces of destruction, they are neutral. So starfire arrows wouldn't give bonuses to wound against them.

I think flaming sword of ruin is really good for our archery, but it is a bit of a gamble to rely on starfire arrows in case you meet forces of good or neutral forces.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

But with End times magic you can cast the same spell more than once, so if it stacks you can cast it a few times and avoid the starfire/moonfire problem entirely.
then the potential might be better with true flight arrows, since you also secure the hits.

And the lore of fire could be very spammable if you station the weaver in forest with the book of ashur +6 to cast, and if you hit the same unit of the opponent more than once, you get another 1d3 on top, 7-9 bonus to cast, that could become very dangerous in when you "randomize" the number of dices you get, especially in a lore with such low casting costs.

Not to mention the nifty end times fire spell(withering heat), i do believe it makes all the opponents units flammable. which could come in quite handy with a lot of flaming attacks.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

Flaming sword of Ruin is pretty much the best spell in lore of fire followed by fireball. I have been running a fire mage with my empire army and a fellow wood elf player in store saw how good flaming sword can be. He now always runs a lvl 2 firemage and a lvl 4 shadowmage in his lists. During a two vs two game I cast flaming sword (from my empire wizard) onto his wild riders who had charged some chaos trolls. The wild riders were wounding on 2's and ignored regeneration. It was absolutely devastating and of the 6 trolls only two survived and they then proceeded to flee.

I personally love the lore but at the same time I prefer lore of shadow for my wood elves rather than lore of fire. I'll definitely keep running lore of fire with my empire list though.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

But a level 2 hardly guaranties flaming sword...