Treeman Lores - Book says Life only?? Help!

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Retribution
Newcomer
Newcomer

Treeman Lores - Book says Life only?? Help!

Post by Retribution »

Hey guys,

Every tree list i see has people with both life and undeath lores on their treeman ancients, this confuses me because in the book it says that they only have access to Lore of Life. Has this been FAQ'd or something??

Retribution
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Treeman Lores - Book says Life only?? Help!

Post by Billthesurly »

My book says Life ONLY. That's the only way I've seen it played anywhere. I am not aware of any official changes to that rule.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

The lore of undeath is the new lore from the End Times. Its a lore that can be used by any magic user in the game.
obviously its only usable if ET rules are in play
Retribution
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Retribution »

Ahh so if not using end times then no undeath.

Awesome, thanks.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Retribution wrote:Ahh so if not using end times then no undeath.

Awesome, thanks.
Not entirely true. Undeath and the 50% lord and heroes have both been put into the official rules through the errata. Even if you don't play ET.

Some choose not to play with the new rules but they are in fact official rules on most tournaments.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Those 2 rules are really not that much of a problem for WE players I think. The lore of undeath is a good option actually to make speed bumps for our archers. Not to mention that if you choose to take ONLY ancients as mages it gives you the option of actually getting some additional usefull spells.
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

Apart from raising units, what other spells des the lore have?

H
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Nothing fancy actually.
You have 4 rising spells (infantry, beasts/swarms, single models and cavalry) then there's a sort of regrowth for undead which also gives them a free move if not engaged, a spell that works like banshee's scream and one that trades all the close.combat attacks of the caster for a single super-attack.
Check it out.
LandonElf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LandonElf »

Yes these are official BRB rules now via the FAQ. Most ET rules may be up for debate but these and 50% characters are beyond reproach.

I will say that one of the biggest drawbacks to Treeman Ancients and Branchwraiths are Lore of Life. Yes its a great lore, but not on level 1s and 2s, since the sig spell stinks and throne of vines is useless by itself.

Lore of undeath has a great sig spell, and the thought of a cheapo branchwraith summoning 150pts of vargheists on to the table amuses me.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Imagine if Treeman Ancients DID have access to other lores of magic though. A Treeman Ancient slinging fireballs around the battlefield is an entertaining thought :3