Characters Builds

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Characters Builds

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I believe Light Armour, Mount, Enchanted Shield is only 3+ AS. Main problem though is going over the 100pt limit for magic items. I'd consider going Ogre Blade, 4+ Ward, OTS, Shield. I think the Reaper's got potential though. In general it's worse against tough stuff but better vs T3 (elves) and laughs at the Nightshroud for example. It really benefits from the AP of Razor Standard. If you can fit Potion of Strength it's brutal for one round but that means cutting protection to a 5+ Ward I think, probably best with a High mage for Protection Counters. Even then Giant Blade might be better. Reaper might combine very well with Lores like Beasts and Shadow.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Reaper + Armor pen?

attacks from Reaper don't allow armor saves ;) i did not say this.

Maybe take off the 4+ ward and take the next best thing? (costs 30pts, then we don't go over points allowance)
Throw any Beasts augment on there... please :)

Edit; LIES :ninja:
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, Reaper only forces a re-roll of the armour save unfortunately.

In my experience a 4+ Ward will keep a 3-wound elf lord going for a couple of rounds while you kill stuff. He has WS 7 and ASF as defensive advantages. I just took mine to a tournament and he died only once in combat, worst game I had (4-16). I'm not sure a 5+ is enough, unless you have extra help like the Counters. At least three armies can effectively bring double Dispel Scroll so you really need to load up on stuff like Power Scroll, Forbidden Rod etc. if you're relying on getting a spell off to help the Lord. Can be safer to build him to fight without magic.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

I'll take it for friendlies only...

Not so much into the tournament-scene.

About the armor save:
Light armor 6+ save
+ mounted = 5+ save
+ e-shield (as+2) = 3+ save... correct?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, I think so.

Being unable to build a mundane armour save better than 4+ is the main problem for our combat characters IMHO. A variety of magic armours get you to 3+ (mounted) but it's not awesome. The only way to 2+ is Silvered Steel which is 45 pts, then you're probably looking at a Great Weapon so you have the points to get Dawnstone or a Ward in. GW is OK but effectively losing ASF hurts.
Jenden Gaus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jenden Gaus »

Newbie here but what about gamblers armour, enchanted shield and mounted? That would give a two up, would the dawnstone be worth it then? Or just go for the ward save?
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Jenden Gaus wrote:Newbie here but what about gamblers armour, enchanted shield and mounted? That would give a two up, would the dawnstone be worth it then? Or just go for the ward save?
Problem is you then have two magical armors, with isn't allowed.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Jenden Gaus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jenden Gaus »

Oops, sorry was thinking on the fly there. Cheers, returning to drawing board [emoji14]
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

My BSB build, for use in the center of multiple archer units:

Hail of Doom arrow, charmed shield, opal amulet, great weapon - magic arrows of your choice.

The two magic items give her a lot of survivability in the one round of combat she is ever likely to see. The GW gives S6 attacks at I7, which is enough to deal with most fast Cav units that try to threaten your back field.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Jenden Gaus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jenden Gaus »

Like I said I'm a newbie and a question I've been wondering about was how a great weapon affects your asf?

Do you get to attack at initiative but no reroll?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yes but I7 still strikes before most enemies, I use GW on my BSB too.

High Elves sometimes take Halberd BSB to preserve true ASF but this is not an option for us.
Jenden Gaus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jenden Gaus »

Great, thanks for that Phil :) might test out a gw bsb on Friday and Saturday.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome.

The big plus of GW is that it doesn't cost any magic item allowance.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I updated the Glade Lord section with some Dragon Lord builds I found on the forum.

Sister Buses section in progress
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Looking forward to it!

:)
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Very helpful thread thankyou NonnoSte :D :thumbsup:

Let me help and fix a sticky to it :arrow:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Thank you very much

(Phil, I PM'd you asking info on your Sister Bus. Haven't you received anything?)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Yeah, Reaper only forces a re-roll of the armour save unfortunately.

In my experience a 4+ Ward will keep a 3-wound elf lord going for a couple of rounds while you kill stuff. He has WS 7 and ASF as defensive advantages. I just took mine to a tournament and he died only once in combat, worst game I had (4-16). I'm not sure a 5+ is enough, unless you have extra help like the Counters. At least three armies can effectively bring double Dispel Scroll so you really need to load up on stuff like Power Scroll, Forbidden Rod etc. if you're relying on getting a spell off to help the Lord. Can be safer to build him to fight without magic.
I would love the reaper if it was usable against 1+ AS... but at S4 rerolling a (modified) 2+ AS isn't that much of a problem for the hated pegasus masters I fear.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

NonnoSte wrote:Thank you very much

(Phil, I PM'd you asking info on your Sister Bus. Haven't you received anything?)
No, nothing received but I've just sent you something!
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Azeal, all tiny bits help :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

I updated some Glade Lords builds
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Q10fanatic »

If you use TF arrows on the shooty GL, he'll always hit on a 2+ for his regular shots, right? I don't have my book with me.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Sadly the Bow of Loren can't be used with magic arrows
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

NonnoSte wrote:Sadly the Bow of Loren can't be used with magic arrows
I'm not sure I'd find the lord worth it even if we could combine the BoL with the arrows.. it would remain a lot of points for only a few shots. If only the waystalker had just a bit more going for it (another shot maybe with BoL).
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Waystalkers with 3 Attacks (ie as a normal Captain) would be a bit OP with the Bow and they would be a no-brainer in most armies (even tough it would require more skill to show his whole potential respect, let's say, a Chimera or a Skullcannon).

I don't think the Shooty Glade Lord is worthless. it's not worth for the shooting per se, but if you take him to provide Ld10 and Str6 attacks to a foot caster bunker, those 5 shots per turn won't be wasted for sure, neither would be the HoDA. BS7 makes it quite a bit stronger. Combine it with Harmonic Convergence/Hand of Glory/Withering and you're getting a real milleage from a single model.
After all, it's "just" around 250 pts for a Ld10 General. It's something other armies can hardly achieve.