Glade Lord on dragon

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Toasted
Newcomer
Newcomer

Glade Lord on dragon

Post by Toasted »

Is anyone running a Gladelord on a Forest Dragon?

I'd really like to run one and I wonder if any fellow Asrai have had success.

Glade Lord, Forest Dragon, Armour of destiny, Ogreblade....?
Follow me on twitter @ThereIsOnlyJoe
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Glade Lord on dragon

Post by Mollesvinet »

I used one against dwarfs in this battle report:

2015-01-10 - Forest Dragon meets dwarfs 2k

The dragon can work, but it is not exactly optimal in any way. The build i used turned out to work pretty well, in any case, i would always recommend charmed shield.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

If Charmed Shield I guess 4+ Ward?

Armour of Destiny, Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon is possible. Though there's a good case for Other Trickster's Shard somewhere.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

In the battle mentioned I ran him with:

Glade Lord (540pts)
Charmed Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard, Asrai Longbow, Forest Dragon, Hand Weapon, Light Armor

You only get 4+ armor on him, but you get to ignore the first cannonball and still have 4++ ward save. The tricksters shard and anti-heroes sword is mainly against characters, as these can be a problem otherwise. Also, make sure you have champions in your army, so that your opponent can't challenge your dragon out with a champion.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Mollesvinet wrote:In the battle mentioned I ran him with:

Glade Lord (540pts)
Charmed Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard, Asrai Longbow, Forest Dragon, Hand Weapon, Light Armor

You only get 4+ armor on him, but you get to ignore the first cannonball and still have 4++ ward save. The tricksters shard and anti-heroes sword is mainly against characters, as these can be a problem otherwise. Also, make sure you have champions in your army, so that your opponent can't challenge your dragon out with a champion.
This is a good build I've used before against chaos mainly, since they have so many characters. Always taking the charmed shield for the slim possibility of a cannonball hitting doesn't really seem worth it to me though. I take the armor of destiny and a normal shield instead of the talisman and the charmed shield
Coran GladeSwann
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Coran GladeSwann »

Phil Rossiter wrote:If Charmed Shield I guess 4+ Ward?

Armour of Destiny, Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon is possible. Though there's a good case for Other Trickster's Shard somewhere.
The Dragon has a built in 6+ ward from being a forest spirit. Potion of Foolhardiness for me, the rest of that build is what I would take.
Dryads and Wardancers and Treemen...oh my!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Army Book pg 36:

"if the model is not a mount".
abyzzal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by abyzzal »

So if the glade lord dies, does that then mean the forest dragon gets his 6++ back as he's no longer a mount for the character?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

:)
abyzzal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by abyzzal »

I'll interpret :) to mean super fun happy times for the dragon (aka a yes)
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

Yes, that is correct. Although, it's only a 6+ so the dragon isn't really super, fun happy. More like mildly happy. Kinda like getting clothes for your birthday as a kid happy. :p
abyzzal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by abyzzal »

Hey I'm always down with free clothes, especially ones that have a 1 in 6 chance of warding off a loose cannonball. Why don't they sell those at walmart...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Mollesvinet wrote:In the battle mentioned I ran him with:

Glade Lord (540pts)

How would you compare this... sizable investement ... with Imrik or Malekith from the end times?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I wouldn't :D

I didn't read the new characters, but i heard they are around 1000 points so you could pretty much get two wood elf dragon lords for that cost. I bet the new characters could go through 11 wood elf ones though.

In any case, I would never take the dragon in a competitive setting. It is a lot of fun to play with and combined with the ranks of eternal guard (or possibly wild wood rangers) it can help break many enemy units. A shadowdancer to miasma WS and negate ranks can really reduce the damage to the EG and the enemies static combat res.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Mollesvinet wrote:A shadowdancer to miasma WS and negate ranks can really reduce the damage to the EG and the enemies static combat res.
I know right? It just seems like shadowdancers are made for rank and file units like WWR and EG with all the utility and close combat power they bring. Too bad there isn't a lord level version with a higher magic point allowance >.<
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

This is what I liked about the kindred system in the old armybook:

You want to make a wardancer lord? Go ahead.

You want to make a wild rider hero? Go ahead.

You want to make a waywatcher lord? Sure sure. (I know that we have waystalkers now, but their rules could easily have been part of the kindred system)

It might have been a confusing system to some, or seem unnecessary to others, but it did allow great customizability for the army.
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Q10fanatic »

I miss Alter Nobles/Highborn. And the Sprites. Those gave us a TON of flexibility in our characters.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Mollesvinet wrote:This is what I liked about the kindred system in the old armybook:

You want to make a wardancer lord? Go ahead.

You want to make a wild rider hero? Go ahead.

You want to make a waywatcher lord? Sure sure. (I know that we have waystalkers now, but their rules could easily have been part of the kindred system)

It might have been a confusing system to some, or seem unnecessary to others, but it did allow great customizability for the army.
It was an interesting system, that definitely could have been improved and streamlined with the release of the newest WE book. But from what I noticed about WE characters, both with how I played them and how other WE players used them is that they became a crutch. People spent far too much time and thought on their alter highborns or the wild rider bus that everything became so old hat I stopped playing WE. Now this point doesn't include the ineffective and overpriced nature of the other WE units in general, but I much prefer WE as they are now as opposed to how they were. WE are an army now, not an alter highborn running around downing 1-2 knights a turn.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Don't get me wrong, I prefer most things from the new book. It is so nice not to have almost lost the battle before even making a move!

The fondness of the kindred system was mainly for flavour, not so much game mechanics.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Mollesvinet wrote:Don't get me wrong, I prefer most things from the new book. It is so nice not to have almost lost the battle before even making a move!

The fondness of the kindred system was mainly for flavour, not so much game mechanics.
Agreed, it gave a lot of flavor to the Wood Elf army and the rules that came with most of the kindreds weren't terrible. Too bad GW didn't just combine not overpriced terrible units with some nice fluff heavy rules
MarkGallagher
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MarkGallagher »

Been running this load out for my lord on dragon:

Glade Lord : Giant Blade ; The Other Trickster's Shard ; Glittering Scales ; Shield ; Forest Dragon 548

I don't bother with much protection for the lord as cannons will kill your dragon even if you ward him up at which point your Lord is on foot, on his own and probs dead anyway and in combat I tend to find that people try and kill the dragon, not the rider so don't waste the points. -1 to hit with high weponskill tends to keep him alive and waste oppoents Attacks.

The problem with lord on dragon is he needs magical support or he's limmited in use. I find lv4 beasts or high the best (you can actually play all three in 2400pts now with 50% lords and heroes) savage beasts of horrors on this guy goes through anyone and even just a wildform can make them both hard to kill. High magic can heal wounds on them, increase weponskill and make you even harder to hit. Walk between world and a fly move means 40" move a turn and arcane Unforging tips those character fights in your favour when they suddenly lose that ward save or magic weapon they needed.

Playing a glade lord on dragon with sisters on a dragon and a lv4 beasts is funny just for when you double charge and then bubble savage beasts of horrors and suddenly your sisters have 12 S8 Attacks, your Lord has 7 S9 Attacks and two dragons have 10 attacks at S6 and 2D6 thunderstomps... Oh and most of them high weponskill, ASF and re-rolling misses.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Well if you play that savage beast of horros affects mounts, then that will obviously be a super spell. Most people i know however play that only the character himself gets the boost.

I found that tag-teaming the dragon with a unit that has ranks work wonders. For example glade guards, use spells on them to ignore damage (giving opponents minus to hit or give them armour, toughness, whatever) and then let the dragon do the damage. This way the dragon won't get caught in extended close combat, and you can use it's punch from a rear attack to break units.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

The sisters both getting the bonus still will make for one hell of a slaughter though.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Bear in mind that the Dragon Lord can just go in a bunker once the dragon is dead, thus conserving all his points.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
astorre
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by astorre »

High + ots is a little redundant