Eternity king and Waystalkers

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Eternity king and Waystalkers

Post by Jossebuschman »

Last week I played a doubles tournament and noticed the insane amount of Hosts of the eternity king on the top tables.

Apparently there has been quite a metachange with the new Khaine book (at least in the Netherlands).
I was wondering if this is true for tournament scenes in other countries as well and..

Is it now the time for the waystalkers to shine?

I have always considered waystalkers a waste of points becuase they are almost never usefull, but with a shift to khaine armies I feel like they can finally be usefull on the top tables.

Thoughts?
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Re: Eternity king and Waystalkers

Post by Sunshine coconut »

in SE QLD it seems most tourney scenes are making strict no end times rules. Although the 50% L&H + undeath lore is allowed.
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

UK seems pretty split, 50% Lords and Heroes is in now generally but some tournies allow End Times stuff, some don't. I've not seen an event with Khaine magic yet.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Why would they be better now? Could you go into why you think it is their time now?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I'm guessing his point is that with the combination of the elves, more players are using them.

This again means, more squishy T3 targets for waystalkers to kill. It is usually possible to hide the most squishy troops, though scouting does help to pick them out. I am still not sure that it is worth it to spend too many points on waystalkers, but with more T3 characters i could definately see the use of 1 or 2 of them. If nothing else, then for the pressure they put on the enemy and the chance that it will force them to make a mistake.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Phil Rossiter wrote:UK seems pretty split, 50% Lords and Heroes is in now generally but some tournies allow End Times stuff, some don't. I've not seen an event with Khaine magic yet.

Sheffield Slaughter last weekend allowed Khaine lists, so presumably also used Khaine magic rules as well. Interesting to note that Host of the Eternity King lists made up 5 of the Top 6 armies, and End Times lists made up 8 of the Top 10...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Slaughter did not use Khaine magic.

I think the TO believed there were enough rules changes to cope with already!

:)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Yeah, wasn't sure whether that was the case, I just assumed! Still interesting to see how many End Times lists made the top 10...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Host of the Eternity King is a wrecking ball, even with points deductions.

It did very well at BIG recently and UK Masters.
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

Mollesvinet wrote:I'm guessing his point is that with the combination of the elves, more players are using them.

This again means, more squishy T3 targets for waystalkers to kill. It is usually possible to hide the most squishy troops, though scouting does help to pick them out. I am still not sure that it is worth it to spend too many points on waystalkers, but with more T3 characters i could definately see the use of 1 or 2 of them. If nothing else, then for the pressure they put on the enemy and the chance that it will force them to make a mistake.
That is indeed what I meant, with more eternity king armies in the top, waystalkers become more and more interesting.

I am very happy that Khaine magic has not been used in tournaments here, nor will it anytime soon. The armylists however are in use, though some ban the host of the eternity king but allow the other two.

Then there's the ETC style tournaments which don't allow it at all and heavily penalize any armies taking more than 50% characters.
I kinda like that :D.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!