New player with a couple questions...

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

WaywatcherDev
Newcomer
Newcomer

New player with a couple questions...

Post by WaywatcherDev »

Hello,
This is my first post, as I am new to Wood Elves. I have two questions:

1. Is it feasible to run 15-20 Eternal Guard in formations that are only 2-3 models wide? I figure that they are stubborn, so losing a combat won't hurt their leadership, and thin ranks will reduce the number of attacks directed on them.

2. My first game is this Saturday against Ogres. Are there any general tactics for going against them, that anyone can offer. I'm mostly worried about Mournfang Cavalry. They have speed, decent toughness, and a great armor save. Its just a friendly game, so I'm not overly concerned about how things go.

Thank you all in advance.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New player with a couple questions...

Post by youngseward »

I always find with ogres that with their typical small number of units they cant really handle the movement of many wood elf lists (focused on fast cav and skirmishers, but not necessarily avoidance). Often if theyre running a deathstar, you can just avoid that unit and take out everything else. I have also found wardancers and eternal guard good for holding their units in place with 3+ ward and stubborn respectively.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Here is a battle i fought against ogres where i used eternal guard as well:

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28221#p344426

You can use 2-3 wide, even conga lines, of eternal guard but personally i feel that the main thing they bring to the table is ranks to break steadfast. They do surprising damage, especially in the venom thicket. Just be careful that you make it his only target or add some bait, eiher to the unit or behind it. Otherwise he can just ignore it and go for all of your glade guard instead. The congaline could hold up a unit for the whole game though, but it smells a lot like cheese!

Keep an eye on his sabretusks. First of all they can be really annoying (like great eagles) if they redirect your wild riders or similar units. Secondly, many ogre players end up putting them within 6" of other units which means you can force a panic check by killing the sabretusk and potentially scaring off those scary mournfang!

As usual, but especially against the fast ogres, two great eagles come highly recommended!

About mournfang, unless you have a good counter for them then i would simply try to avoid them. Metal magic and waywatchers are really good against them, they are only toughness 4 as i found out in my report. If you can get a charge with wild riders, that should also do heavy damage! I suppose massed arrow fire could handle them now that we have armour piercing shots, but I really think the arrows are worth more against his low armour troops.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

3 wide ogres would still have to put 3 ogres in b2b with those when maxing... so that isn't that much in favor of the EG.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

You can field EG one wide (also called a "conga line"), but its kind of frowned upon some places. Especially in a friendly game. I'd rather rely on normal redirectors in that case.