Wild Riders Kit?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Arwen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wild Riders Kit?

Post by Arwen »

Just wondering how people kit these guys out?

I have been running 3 units of 6 or 7 of them naked, but in my first 2 games they have been dieing horribly from return attacks in combat.

I have started thinking should I give them shields and go with 1 or 2 less models? A 4+ Armour save this may help a bit especially vs. Strength 3 troops and Strength 3 shooting.

Another idea is equipping one unit with the Gleaming Pennant to try and control the Frenzy if out on a flank away from BSB.
Win/Draw/Losses
4: 0 : 1
Lost 1st game vs. Lizardmen, Won 2nd game vs. Ogres, Won 3rd vs. Empire, Won 2 vs. VC
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Wild Riders Kit?

Post by Mollesvinet »

Shield is good against S3 shooting. Best way to survive in combat is only to charge flanks, rears or units that you can annihilate in a single phase.

Patience is truly a deed when it comes to wild riders.

Gleaming pennant is a good idea, movement banner can also be nice.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

I use my WR as expendable troops - like big BAD mangler squigs or something like that. They are intended, like a cruise missile, to hit and do huge damage in order to weaken an enemy unit for shooters to polish off. Or, and better, to hit a ton and polish off a unit that has already been weakened by shooting and/or spells. I do not expect them to survive a combat with a huge, ranked up enemy unit because they will die if the enemy gets significant counterattacks. They also make excellent war machine hunters because if just ONE of them gets to his target he will probably take out the machine. I run in units of 6, with shields, no standards and sometimes a unit champion to get the extra attack. Never leave home with at least two units.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

I've been doing at least two units of six with shields and a standard, up to three units of six in the same way. There are certainly options in there to add banners like Eternal Flame or Swiftness as well. Shields seem absolutely necessary, and I find that the standard is worth the risk as it helps to push the combat resolution just that much more. I'm primarily worried about the shields for BS-based shooting, as once in combat I expect the Wild Riders to either wipe out the unit or get wiped out in return. It's really all about timing, maunevering, and patience. Don't bother charging that big chunk of Hammerers in the front; keep dancing until you can combo-charge and/or get a flank after some shooting wounds. I don't like running just one unit because I find that target saturation is the name of the game when it comes to winning the battle; if you rely on one unit of Wild Riders to bring the pain, they'll often be focused on by the enemy as everyone know how much damage they do. Two units dancing on the flank means that one may eat a doombolt, and the other can avenge their brethren.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I would use shield on them myself.

I don't model them with shields though.. I like those daggers better.

can they get a 4+ btw?
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

I never run my wild riders with shields anymore. Since I use them in small expendable units I dont bother protecting them as its not worth the points. 4+ armour as opposed to 5+ isnt a whole lot of use when youre only running 5 models in a unit
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I don't have my book but how do we get that 4+? Horse, shield right? Or do we have light armor too?
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

They come with light armour, though you wouldn't think it to look at the models.

I use mine in units of 5 without shields, if they get shot at too much you really are not moving them properly (or they failed frenze test of course) and in cc you should make sure they are in a position where they can butcher the enemy while not really be attacked back.

So shields really are not that usefull if you ask me. Banners, especially magic banners are very usefull on the other hand. Gleaming pennant is awesome, swiftness is also good.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Units of 6 w/shields and nothing else.
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wrath_of_the_Wildwood »

Always shields. As has been said helps against shooting and against s4 core troops quite good too. But you must always consider them expendable. I actually like running a couple of larger units in 7 or 8 and then almost a badass redirector of 5/6
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Only because it's what I have but I do two units of 5 with shields...I still created one as a champion-standard- and musician but thats just for looks :)
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Arwen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Arwen »

Opinions seem evenly split on this topic.

1. Shields no command, muso?
2. No shields, muso
3. No shields Banner (Magical or not) Popular Magic Banners: Swiftness, Gleaming Pennant, Eternal Flame

I guess Banners depend on the rest of the armies set up if no flaming arrows elsewhere and no Fire or Metal Magic then Eternal Flame may be appealing.

Unit sizes vary usually between 5 and 8.

Because I have been running 3 x 6 WR's by adding shields it will cost an extra 36pts
Win/Draw/Losses
4: 0 : 1
Lost 1st game vs. Lizardmen, Won 2nd game vs. Ogres, Won 3rd vs. Empire, Won 2 vs. VC
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Maybe consider them for two different roles.

Use one unit of 5 "naked" no command, no banner, no shield, use this for redirection and general annoyance. IF it survives use it for second of third support unit in a large combat in turns 5/6. Consider this as a really expendable unit.

The two units of six/seven, use for main damage/attack (not on large powerful ranked up units ofc). These units you give shields and Banner. As stated the favourites' are BofEF, Swiftness and Gleaming Pennant, depending on whas is best for your match up or can best plug a hole of anything you haven't managed to fit in.

Again a musician is very debatable in Fast Cavalry, shouldn't need it for fast reforms etc; but could just swing that "drawn" combat in your favour in a more combat type unit. The same can be said of a Champion, gives you and extra attack but could be Challenged by enemy - maybe only useful if running a squishy Character with the Wild Riders. Though I don't recommend this!

Regards Merlin Elf friend.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

For me:

Shields (cost negligible compared to riders), magic std to taste.

As said, don't think musicians and champions do enough for them.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I have a question about the wildriders kit: I'm assembling my first 5 now (been proxing so far) and the first 2 I'm glueing together (champ and standard) both end up standing in the saddle (can't sit) is that correct? Do they all stay standing in their saddles?
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

@aezeal don't look for logic in their saddle position some of them are very awkward. If following the instructions each rider technically matches a relevant stag
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Yeah I did that .. ALL of them are standing now (none of their skinny elven arses are on the saddles).
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

They cop a beating in travel unfortunately
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Am I the only one who found the sword for the champion a bit puny and went with the Decorated "spear" the SoTT champ has?