Tactical Project

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Rhuell
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Dogs of War, Goblins

Tactical Project

Post by Rhuell »

Hi guys,

I'm sure many of you haven't read many posts by me lately as I switched to Dark Elves for about a year and a half, but I am back to Wood Elves for the foreseeable future (at least for the whole 2015 Warhammer tournament scene). I am in the process of writing some in depth tactical articles on the Wood Elves as they are my favorite army and I'm looking for help/suggestions.

Let me know what your favorite builds are and why please. I'm going to go on a massive test game process for a month looking over builds and everything, but I want to also know why you take the units/characters in the particular build that you do.

For example, 5 or 6 wild riders in a unit, champion yes/no.

I will be posting my tactical articles on here as well as my personal blog so that your hard earned efforts aren't put to waste. I'm hoping to have the first section done which will cover magical lore choices in the next week or so, so if you have a favorite that you use despite everyone hounding you to take something else, let me know why.

Thanks everyone fr your help.
To see all of my current gaming adventures, check out: www.rhuell.blogspot.com
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: Tactical Project

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi,
Nice initiative.
It's always good when someone who has the opportunity to play test a lot also finds the time to share his experiences.

Somewhere in the forum a discussion on magic lores selection is already going on. Check it out. (I think it's in the General Discussions section).

If I may ask, could you use a single post to gather the links for all your future analysis?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hey Rhuell,

welcome back to Loren. I will let you know what kind of list I end up with when I prepare for tournament play. Recently I am playing fluffy or funny lists so they won't fit in the Tactical Project I am afraid.

Good luck with the project!
funkyfellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by funkyfellow »

I have had success with our under appreiciated wild wood rangers. I like to run them either 6x3 or 7x3 with full command and flaming banner. They ruin trolls and other units that rely on regen and that is their main job in my lists, they work great in tandem with eternal guard and are a good choice for taking the watchtower from big nasties, especially if they cause fear!

I have also had great success running a 5 man sister unit as a non-bunker. They are a great and sturdy utility unit, flanking archers, snagging warmachines, and finishing off wounded monsters!
astorre
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by astorre »

My favorite build is:

Lv 4 Shadoweaver - Dispel Scroll
Glade Captain - BSB, GW, Dragonhelm, HoDA, Bodkins

12 Glade Guard - Standard, Musician, Trueflight
14 Glade Guard - Standard, Musician, Trueflight
5 Glade Riders - Musician, Hagbane

3x10 Scouts - Hagbane
5 Wild Riders - Standard, Shields, BoEF
5 Wild Riders - Standard, Shields, Gleaming Pennant
5 Wild Riders - Shields

2x Eagle
2x10 Waywatchers

Haven't lost yet. Got 2 draws. Won a GT with this list more or less.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Rhuell - please PM me when you have any articles you're happy with and I'll add them to the list for going on the LEAF.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

astorre wrote:My favorite build is:

Lv 4 Shadoweaver - Dispel Scroll
Glade Captain - BSB, GW, Dragonhelm, HoDA, Bodkins

12 Glade Guard - Standard, Musician, Trueflight
14 Glade Guard - Standard, Musician, Trueflight

3x10 Scouts - Hagbane
5 Wild Riders - Standard, Shields, BoEF
5 Wild Riders - Standard, Shields, Gleaming Pennant
5 Wild Riders - Shields

2x Eagle
2x10 Waywatchers

Haven't lost yet. Got 2 draws. Won a GT with this list more or less.
That's a friggin' perfect list, IMO. With that few drops, you're normally going to get +1 to go first. Being able to deploy fifity bow shots after your enemy's deployment is brutal.
astorre
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by astorre »

Haha thank you FTE. Yes its a nasty list, its the hardest list I could come up with. Draws were against light council empire and pre khaine end times high elves that was 30 lions 25 phoenix guard and 60 spearmen bunkering allarielle, eltharion, and a loremaster w/book. Also had BSB and lv2 high mage. Just couldn't shoot through those bodies to get the characters, who kept jumping around units.