Help vs HE bowline needed pls

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tanglewood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Help vs HE bowline needed pls

Post by Tanglewood »

Well we can agree to disagree on the tailoring. I think tailoring creates one sided games e.g. vs dwarf when you take no magic and he's all runed up for anti-magic then vice versa next time. Thats just no fun for me. It's true that you can learn what units do with any list but playing the same-ish list regularly will teach you what the whole army can do. And more importantly what it can't do. Also, synergy between units deliver compounding return rather than sum of it's parts. Something very difficult to theorycraft just based on how individual parts performed. How about the synergy between those two units with a third unit? How do the two of them interact with the whole army? What about the three of them interact with the rest of the rest of the army? What about compounding weaknesses? How will the result vary if you aren't rolling average? Whats the variance on the results? Can you make that estimate before any pieces are deployed? If you can't, how are you going to be able to judge whats the appropriate force needed to destroy elements in the enemy? Without knowing your list well enough, you'll either rely on poor guesswork. You either over compensate and achieve less than you could or, under compensate and then blame on luck (it's a generic you btw, not a personal thing).

Same point for point straight shooting match between HE bowmen and trueflight GG, the GG loses though only marginally (lets assume it's at least long range). Swift shiver gives even lower no. of hits and have a lot less wounds in the unit. The key isn't in the arrow type, the key is in how you play the list which was what I attempted to address when I posted. Also, Alarielle was in the list. Her 5+ ward for the archer unit, flesh to stone and regrowth will massively tilt the match up.

Don't think in this match up jumps with warhawks would be better than WR. The screening is unit is almost certainly going to be destroyed and warhawks can panic when shot at while screening or if the screening WR is shot off. Tandem charging also work great with eagles and WR. Stops them taking the cheeky 1-2 wounds on s&s vs things that they should be able to fight (such as skinks, another elf bow units, etc) that would otherwise skew the ensuing combat. Also mean opponent less likely to flee the WR because the eagle will force another flee.

All my comments are using component which aren't tailored and are common to most list. If you were to tailor, the single best thing you can do is take your own gunline and go lvl 4 & 2 of heaven. Heaven just destroy gunlines. Comet super bad, chain lighting super bad for he, ice shard bad for archer units, bubble harmonic super good with your own bowline & curse of midnight bad for str 3 shooting army. In fact, my tournament list usually have a lvl 2 heaven because WE is quite popular at the moment and the single lvl 2 gives my opponent a lot of problems. Beside, heaven is very good due to the free fireball with every spell when casted on flyers (harpies, furies, lord of change, eagles, etc)
Tanglewood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Help vs HE bowline needed pls

Post by Tanglewood »

Well we can agree to disagree on the tailoring. I think tailoring creates one sided games e.g. vs dwarf when you take no magic and he's all runed up for anti-magic then vice versa next time. Thats just no fun for me. It's true that you can learn what units do with any list but playing the same-ish list regularly will teach you what the whole army can do. And more importantly what it can't do. Also, synergy between units deliver compounding return rather than sum of it's parts. Something very difficult to theorycraft just based on how individual parts performed. How about the synergy between those two units with a third unit? How do the two of them interact with the whole army? What about the three of them interact with the rest of the rest of the army? What about compounding weaknesses? How will the result vary if you aren't rolling average? Whats the variance on the results? Can you make that estimate before any pieces are deployed? If you can't, how are you going to be able to judge whats the appropriate force needed to destroy elements in the enemy? Without knowing your list well enough, you'll either rely on poor guesswork. You either over compensate and achieve less than you could or, under compensate and then blame on luck (it's a generic you btw, not a personal thing).

Same point for point straight shooting match between HE bowmen and trueflight GG, the GG loses though only marginally (lets assume it's at least long range). Swift shiver gives even lower no. of hits and have a lot less wounds in the unit. The key isn't in the arrow type, the key is in how you play the list which was what I attempted to address when I posted. Also, Alarielle was in the list. Her 5+ ward for the archer unit, flesh to stone and regrowth will massively tilt the match up.

Don't think in this match up jumps with warhawks would be better than WR. The screening is unit is almost certainly going to be destroyed and warhawks can panic when shot at while screening or if the screening WR is shot off. Tandem charging also work great with eagles and WR. Stops them taking the cheeky 1-2 wounds on s&s vs things that they should be able to fight (such as skinks, another elf bow units, etc) that would otherwise skew the ensuing combat. Also mean opponent less likely to flee the WR because the eagle will force another flee.

All my comments are using component which aren't tailored and are common to most list. If you were to tailor, the single best thing you can do is take your own gunline and go lvl 4 & 2 of heaven. Heaven just destroy gunlines. Comet super bad, chain lighting super bad for he, ice shard bad for archer units, bubble harmonic super good with your own bowline & curse of midnight bad for str 3 shooting army. In fact, my tournament list usually have a lvl 2 heaven because WE is quite popular at the moment and the single lvl 2 gives my opponent a lot of problems. Beside, heaven is very good due to the free fireball with every spell when casted on flyers (harpies, furies, lord of change, eagles, etc)