New Blood Question -- Glade Guard

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ambiguous Asrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

New Blood Question -- Glade Guard

Post by Ambiguous Asrai »

Hello everyone,

I'm slowly getting back into WHFB, and have found my way upon Wood Elves as the choice for me -- I love their models, I love their tactics and I love their colours (the fact that they just go along with the seasons and remain fluffy is amazing). I looked into guidance on the general discussion forum on how to look at, understand and play Wood Elves; however, while I know the units and what strengths most of them have, I find myself actually not knowing about the one unit I will have in my list: Glade Guard.

You see, I understand the Enchanted Arrows and why Hagbane & Trueflight are very strong on them. I understand I want to go minimum core and, preferably, try to have less drops than my opponent so I may go first. I know that, in a shooting/dancing list what units do what and how... but the only thing I'm confused on is how people use the most basic of units, our core, because it's the least spoken about option. Do people tend to just leave them on our deployment zone and pluck away at whichever target is juiciest? They have a good movement for infantry, so do people try to position them a bit better before they pull back their strings and let loose their arrows? Are there tactics more advanced, such as using them as chaff at some point or potentially sacrificing them for something more meaningful? I'd hate to think they're a unit that is a one-trick pony, but I'd also hate to think they're a unit that is vital to my army and yet I have no actual knowledge about.

That's right, I need a brief Glade Guard Tactica! Please!

Thanks in advance,

AA
NiteOwl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New Blood Question -- Glade Guard

Post by NiteOwl »

Hi! Welcome to the glade.

I usually play a unit of 24 GG with Arcane Bodkins deployed 6x4.

In the deployment phase I try to put them in a position where they can see as much of the board as possible. If possible, in some shelter. Bonus if in a wood!

With 30 inch range and the enemy coming to me I hardly have to move that much. Just sit back and fire volley after volley. (With volley fire ofc)

I late game they often get sacrificed for the greater good giving me a turn or two (or more if I am lucky) to enact a counterattack.

Was that helpful? :)
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

Why put 24 in a 6x4 when you can have 7x3 in your own forest?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I generally run glade guard with trueflight arrows and deepwood scouts with hagbane. The trueflight arrows opens up movement for your glade guard and lets them target anything they want, since they ignore cover and so on. Their movement is depending on your enemies army though.

If you can easily control your opponent, say he has a few big blocks, then you can keep your glade guard back and just keep shooting. If your enemy has fast units like flyers or several strong units, you may need to keep your glade guard forward and flee with them when the time is right. This way you have room to flee back into and you will delay your opponent when he fails the charge.

I would also recommend checking out some of the battle reports around the forum, I am sure you can learn a lot from others experience.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

In the few 7thEd games I played (2) I did the following:
A unit of 24 (2*12) this mainly to maximize shots and when they are about to receive a charge reform to rank n file with 5 wide.
It was a bunker at that time for my Lord. (I didn't play casters yet)
The other unit was smaller.

I tended to deploy in the centre. Anything coming for me at least got 1 turn of shooting and some quality time with my Dryads on their flank. (I had no WR's :))

What you can do in terms of movement is following:

1- Shuffle left - right to get a clear LoS on enemy units.

2- Move forward: If you need to kill that one target you cant reach with other units

3- Move backward: To buy you an extra round of shooting
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

One thing to consider is using the 30" range. Obviously it makes sense to hang back and use this against short-range shooters like Skinks. But even vs the 24" of Darkshards say, or a Helblaster the extra 6" can be crucial, forcing them to advance if they want to shoot and getting damage in early.
NiteOwl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by NiteOwl »

Kulgan86 wrote:Why put 24 in a 6x4 when you can have 7x3 in your own forest?
Well the reason was that I had to fill core/list. I will try that out if the option present itself.
SeanyPrawny
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by SeanyPrawny »

NiteOwl wrote:
Well the reason was that I had to fill core/list. I will try that out if the option present itself.
stick with the 24 glade guard and have 7x3 with the 3 extra in the back, this way in your own forest you get 23 of your 24 shots as opposed to the 21 you would of been getting 6x4

I personally run units of 10 MSU style, I like to be able to flee from charges without losing too much firepower in my next round of shooting. Started to favour Hagbane tips too.
NiteOwl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by NiteOwl »

SeanyPrawny wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
stick with the 24 glade guard and have 7x3 with the 3 extra in the back, this way in your own forest you get 23 of your 24 shots as opposed to the 21 you would of been getting 6x4

I personally run units of 10 MSU style, I like to be able to flee from charges without losing too much firepower in my next round of shooting. Started to favour Hagbane tips too.
Ah! I didn't think of that. Thank you too :)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I usually play units of 10.. if they get in combat no matter how large the unit they will probably run so I prefer to have as few as possible running. Also if the rear rank needs to shoot then the front rank is yet closer to the enemy.

Only reason to go a large unit it if you want to augment them a lot.

Personally I never use bodkins. If I encounter armor I put my waywathers against them.
I use hagbanes and trueflights.