870 point WE vs. 1100 point HE (campaign)

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

pippin
Newcomer
Newcomer

870 point WE vs. 1100 point HE (campaign)

Post by pippin »

What do the experienced forest generals think of this list:

Spellweaver Lvl 4 (pick magic at start of the game)
5 Glade Riders with hagbane
5 Glade Riders with arcane bodkins
10 Sisters of the Thorne
7 Waywatchers

My HE opponent has 1100 points and often takes Silver Helms and Dragon Princes. He will probably have the Banner of the World Dragon.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 870 point WE vs. 1100 point HE (campaign)

Post by Aezeal »

I think you have a problem.His points advantage is pretty large really. What did you think.

Since your troops are already picked I'm not sure what you expect us to say...

general observations:
If he does take dragon princes that would actually be really good for you since your WW will put them down. If he has a lot of infantry you probably can't kill them all but most of your troops could avoid those (if your mage is mounted that goes for him too).
If he has a monster of some sort you have a problem (but unlikely).
Your biggest problem would be archers really.
BotwD means only your WW can shoot at that unit (great if it's the Dragon Princes.. you'll be dropping 30 points with each wound).
Ember of the Hidden Paths
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Ember of the Hidden Paths »

I love fighting more points than i bring. So much more satisfying.
First step i think is to avoid. I don't suppose theres any possibility of getting that mage on a steed?
I would go avoidance, aiming to take out his shooting and magic asap.
Death is something worth considering, as once you take out the mage you have free reign over the game.
Ignore the infantry, its all about keeping your troops alive whilst focusing their ranged and fast stuff.
High Magic is also definitely worth looking into, both for the protective counters and for the fact that 4d6 S4 hits against high elves will break them at range 36
Actually the more i think about it, the more i am inclined to say High magic.
Normally I would always advise more wild riders, however given they have ASF its unclear whether this will be effective.
Avoidance is certainly your go to, backed up by high. You could consider also a unit consisting of your mage and a badass stag noble, beefed up by protection counters, to slam into flanks etc. Thats probably where i'd start. Your magic should be more effective than his, just avoid and shoot, and focus all forces on one part. An eagle certainly wouldn't go amiss, but i guess you need the rare for way watchers.
One does not simply take a Wild Rider charge...
pippin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by pippin »

In the end I took:

Spellweaver Lvl 4 (Lore of Metal) on Steed (without was an omission)
5 Glade Riders
10 Sisters of the Thorne
7 Waywatchers
10 Glade Guard with arcane bodkins

Versus:

Level 2 (High Magic)
Noble with bound spell (2d6 S4 hits), mounted with 1+ save
10 Dragon Princes (FC) with Gleaming Pendant
9 Silver Helms (FC)
9 Silver Helms (FC)

One of the units also had a 6+ Ward Save

First turn I lost two levels (final transmutation & searing doom) while the searing doom killed two Silver Helms leaving me with plague of rust and glittering robe. Seven Waywatchers killed a single Silver Helm, the Glade Guard killed one more and the Sisters managed to make movement difficult for the Dragon Princes.

His first turn his level 2 was sucked into the warp while killing one Sister and 4 Silver Helms. Going down a hill the Dragon Princes lost 1 member.

My level 4 took 1 point of armor off the Dragon Princes, the Waywatchers shot 1 Silver Helm (they had to go behind a building so just 2 could fire a shot) and the Glade Guard killed the remaining Silver Helms.

The Dragon Princes and the Silver Helms both advanced towards the Glade Guard, the Noble killed off 1 Sister with Magic.

Turn 3 my level 4 took another point of armor off the Dragon Princes (he decided to leave the Sisters), the Waywatchers remembered their training and shot 4 Silver Helms. Joint fire from the Sisters and Glade Guard killed 4 Dragon Princes.

He charged the Sisters with the Silver Helms (+ Noble) and I decided to flee, his Silver Helms ended in the Graveyard and had cover now. Magic killed 1 Sister. The Dragon Princes (5) charged the Glade Guard and 2 were shot while 1 bumped into a tree. 2 Dragon princes (with 4+ save) killed 3 Glade Guard but 6 poison attacks was the end of the Dragon Princes.

Next turn the Glad Riders joined the fray, the Sisters kept on running and shooting killed off everyone but the Noble and 1 Silver Helm, while his magic did nothing. Turn 5 ended the High Elves.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

When I see his list and think back to the old book, you would have been in real trouble back then. But this time around, with the new book, you had a level 4 metal and waywatchers. Considering the point difference I don't think you could have asked for a much better match up.

Good game in any case, especially considering you lost searing doom first turn.