Double Dragon Build

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Double Dragon Build

Post by jberrysf »

So under end times percentages we now have the ability to take 2 Dragon Mounted Glade Lords, where before we could only take one. I remember a thread that discussed good Dragon Lord builds in the old book, but now that we are well into the new book, I thought it would be cool to reopen the discussion, especially with the idea of 2 Dragon Lords, instead of 1.

Here was how I thought about running them.

Glade Lord (2#, 549 pts)
1 Glade Lord, 549 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Asrai Longbow; Light Armour; Starfire Shafts; Always Strikes First (Rider only); Armour Piercing; Forest Stalker; Forest Strider; Multiple Shots (2); The Arrow of Kurnous; Volley Fire)
1 Forest Dragon (Fly; Forest Spirit; Forest Strider; Large Target; Scaly Skin (3+); Soporific Breath; Swiftstride; Terror; Thunderstomp)
1 Sword of Anti-Heroes
1 Charmed Shield
1 Talisman of Preservation
1 Potion of Strength

Glade Lord (2#, 552 pts)
1 Glade Lord, 552 pts (Hand Weapon; Asrai Longbow; Shield; Starfire Shafts; Always Strikes First (Rider only); Armour Piercing; Flaming Attacks; Forest Stalker; Forest Strider; The Arrow of Kurnous; Volley Fire)
1 Forest Dragon (Fly; Forest Spirit; Forest Strider; Large Target; Scaly Skin (3+); Soporific Breath; Swiftstride; Terror; Thunderstomp)
1 Ogre Blade
1 Armour of Destiny
1 Dragonbane Gem
1 Potion of Foolhardiness

I was reading someone's ideas on a monster hunter lord, though, and I thought it'd be nifty to do a monster hunter lord on a dragon. That pair might look like this?

Glade Lord (2#, 552 pts)
1 Glade Lord, 552 pts (Hand Weapon; Asrai Longbow; Light Armour; Shield; Swiftshiver Shards; Always Strikes First (Rider only); Armour Piercing; Forest Stalker; Forest Strider; Multiple Shots (2); The Arrow of Kurnous; Volley Fire)
1 The Spirit Sword
1 Dragonhelm
1 Luckstone

Glade Lord (2#, 549 pts)
1 Glade Lord, 552 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Asrai Longbow; Light Armour; Starfire Shafts; Always Strikes First (Rider only); Armour Piercing; Flaming Attacks; Forest Stalker; Forest Strider; The Arrow of Kurnous; Volley Fire)
1 Sword of Anti-Heroes
1 Charmed Shield
1 Talisman of Preservation
1 Potion of Strength

So, thoughts? Alternate Builds? Better uses?
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Double Dragon Build

Post by Aezeal »

Just an idea but how about the sisters on the dragon... they beat most glade lord builds. They have some extra damage (at least more attacks and to hit bonus), improved survivability with conjoined destiny.... and OP ranged attacks.
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jberrysf »

I totally agree and would definitely do 3 Dragons (and hope to some day soon) but in the mean time, I don't want to presume people want to play against special characters. I ran the sisters at a tourney back in July and had a blast with them and they consistently outperformed my General, but I also like thinking about dual dragon builds too.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

dual dragon can be 1 lord and the sisters... and I would Always pick the sisters before a 2nd lord, the rules when they are on dragon are not really debatable so no reason not to play them like that. Not wanting to play against special chars isn't something an opponent can decided they are in the books, they are GW material and 100% legal to play in warhammer.

So I would take the sisters combined with a lord. Actually all your lord builds seem good options. I really like the spirit sword but it detracts from his survivability and since the dragon has such strong attacks already I think I'd prefer a 4++ on the him. It would depend a bit on the army you are facing but I would prefer the Ogreblade option I think. Though you might want to te the dragonbane helmet instead of the gem and potion (the + 1 as might be nice).

having said that I think I'd still do it differently: You are on a dragon which has More and higher strength attacks the other dragon (sisters) can clear chaff: this dragon should be hunting characters if possible. So you need to improve the chances of the dragon attacks doing damage: Other tricksters shard.
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jberrysf »

So here is my other thought.

Sisters on Dragon
+
Glade Lord
Ogre Blade
Dragonhelm
Talisman of Endurance
Other Tricksters Shard

Plus 2 Strength, 3+ Armor, 5+ ward, 2+ against flaming, and forces rerolls on Ward Saves. Good for Character Hunting and Phoenix/Monster slamming. Especially against flaming monsters.