Undead elves

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Takkie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Undead elves

Post by Takkie »

Now the End times are a fact. So we can use undead units in our army. Perhaps I have missed a topic on this subject, but I'd like to share some thoughts about using the new troops.

I play a MSU wood elf army. I don't possess a undead army, so I have to make a new unit in order to use it. This forces me to think of wich unit to use and for what purpose.

My undead-casters are a group of 6 branchwraiths. This gives me the opportunity to get all the spells of the lore of the undead. And extra magic dice by channeling. Most of the wraiths get the signature spell, so I can spam the signature summoning spell. Other branchwraiths can take one of the last three spells, so I can cast other troop types too. Wich spells I choose depend on wich enemy I have to play.

The signature spell enables you to cast 50 points or 100 points infantry. Infantry means zombies, skeleton warriors, skeleton archers, grave guard/tomb guard or cairn wraiths. I use my undead units as a tar pit. They can hold the enemy locked until I can throw wildriders into the combat.

Zombies are fine to start with. They are easy to cast and because they are 'newly dead' you can expand the unit later on. But you can also cast row after row. Zombies are easy destroyed, but as long as an enemy unit goes from one unit into the next unit (and doesn't fight my elven units) its fine with me.
Undead elves
Undead elves
Skeleton are almost as weak as zombies, but have a few advantages. Their champion can challenge. Very usefull for a lone chaos-lord, who has to accept. Of course the champion dies, but it will not destroy the whole unit and so the Lord will be stuck for an other combat round.
Skeleton archers (tomb king archers) can shoot in the round they are cast and hit on a 5+ (:lol: for us woodelves).

You need grave guard to make a difference. They have T4, heavy armour and a shield. Don 't give them a great weapon, elven units are the hammer and with a shield the grave guard benefit from their 6+ wardsave. Tomb guard have light armour, so go for grave guard.
Grave guard are expensive. So you need the counters you get from succesfully casting an undead spell, i.e. you need to cast cheaper units (zombies) first.

Cairn Wraiths are the most expensive to cast. You definitly need counters for them, but then you have an ethereal unit. No problem for woodelves, but a pain in the *** for most orther armies.

By using other spells of the undead lore, other troop types can be cast. For now I haven't used them (nor missed them). If you have good tactics to combine with our fast moving elven units, please share them.
It's true, we're all a little insane (evanescence)
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Re: Undead elves

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I found that using undeath was particularly useful for giving me more large ranked units who can deny the enemy steadfast.

Take away steadfast with a block of zombies/skeletons and your wildriders, treemen and even warhawks can easily break most enemy units with their damage output.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Creepy elves mate good job!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
ScottyDo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ScottyDo »

With the basic casting for the swarm spell, you can get two bat swarms (give elves asl to get rerolls against them) or a spirit host base (tie things up with ethereal). I played a game this weekend with lore of undeath and found that I love the options summoning units can give me.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

That is really cool. Nice way to go with the flow instead of saying "undad in an elf army? No way!"
The_Wendol
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The_Wendol »

Your undead elves look great! Helping to protect the forest even in death!
"Beware the leader of their warriors, he wears the horns of POWER!"