How should I assemble my WR/SotT?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

How should I assemble my WR/SotT?

Post by Aben Zin »

Hey guys. So I just found myself in possession of a couple of boxes of sisters/wildriders and I'm dithering on how to put them together.
Here's my collection so far:
40 or so GG or scouts
5 Wildriders all ready assembled
25 Eternal guard
10 WWRs
10 Waywatcher
10 Wardancers
1 currently unassembled eagle
16 dryads
3 Spellsingers/weavers on foot
1 Shadowdancer
2 Glade captains/lords on foot
1 Spellsinger/weaver on a horse
1 Treeman / ancient

So I'm a little torn. I don't really want to go overboard on wildriders as I fear my opponents won't want to face me again (they tend to wreck shop), but I wouldn't mind using a few more. I'd also like to have a sister bunker for my mage without being too huge a point sink... So suggestions?

Az
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Re: How should I assemble my WR/SotT?

Post by nXken »

Go 50-50?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

What size games will you mostly be playing Aben Zin?

Do you have a rough list in mind?
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

I love WR and Sisters in squads of 7 or 8.
If you could make 2 or 3 squads of WR around that size you would have a HUGELY threatening batch of units that you know at least one squad will get into combat and shred something.

After that look at converting a sister or two into mounted mages or standard bearers, and make the rest into a sick unit of sisters (preferably between 5 and 10, over that is crazy)
Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aben Zin »

Phil, we mainly play 1500-2000 point games, and I tend to alter my list from one battle to the next.
Glory, see that's my problem- I only have 10 to assemble (with 5 WRs already there) and kinda want them in ranks 7 wide, so not really much chance to have multiple units that wide...
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

that's cool, I'd go one unit of 7 WR (1 rank) 7 SotT and make a cool mounted character laughs
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

My advice is to write a 1500pt list you'll use every time and maybe vary the 500pts extra if you get it. That way you learn to play it well quicker. It's also easier for games where you don't know what you'll play as you build the 1500pt list to be able to take on anything.

I'd suggest considering a lvl4 and a BSB for the characters at 1500. If so, maybe choose if they are going on foot or mounted. If the former, go for mostly Wild Riders. If the latter, mostly Sisters for them to ride with. But it helps to have an overall list in mind because your choice will affect the balance of it.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Aben Zin wrote:Phil, we mainly play 1500-2000 point games, and I tend to alter my list from one battle to the next.
Glory, see that's my problem- I only have 10 to assemble (with 5 WRs already there) and kinda want them in ranks 7 wide, so not really much chance to have multiple units that wide...
I took 2 boxes of WR/SotT and mixed them with some of my (many) unassembled gladeriders. The wildriders are almost as standard, but with GR spear arms, the sisters are made mostly from gladerider bits, but with sister torsos, staff arms and javelins on their backs. I now have 10 wildriders, 8 sisters on horses (i'll paint them to look mystical, glowing eyes etc) and the parts I'm about to turn into a new mounted BSB and mage.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aben Zin »

Thanks guys. Think going 7 and 7 (plus one extra WR for if I can get another box) seems like a plan.
Personally I think playing with one set list is boring! I've had my woodies for a while so I'm not worrying about learning more.
Was vaguely thinking about converting a high elf mage and a dark elf sorceress to use as mounted high/dark weavers to put in the sisters...
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

For tournaments or most leagues we need an all-comers list but if you're writing fresh for each opponent I can see the value.

Problem might come if you commit to 7 and 7 and then find that against some enemies you really need more than seven of either one.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

I haven't built any WR/SotT yet, but is it possible to magnetize the torso's so you can switch from one to the other? Best of both worlds? Finding a neutral colour scheme might be tough I suppose.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

GeoffDiGeoff wrote:I haven't built any WR/SotT yet, but is it possible to magnetize the torso's so you can switch from one to the other? Best of both worlds? Finding a neutral colour scheme might be tough I suppose.
Not really, they both use the same part for the back of the head, the same cloak and the same arm for the spear/staff.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:
GeoffDiGeoff wrote:I haven't built any WR/SotT yet, but is it possible to magnetize the torso's so you can switch from one to the other? Best of both worlds? Finding a neutral colour scheme might be tough I suppose.
Not really, they both use the same part for the back of the head, the same cloak and the same arm for the spear/staff.
Fair enough, that's too many magnets in one small model :)