Which scenario is the best for WE?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Which scenario is the best for WE?

Post by Orion »

Hi guys,

I am going to a tournament where we play the scenarios from the rulebook (not watchtower though). Sometimes, I will get to choose.

Which scenario is the best for WE in general and why?
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Re: Which scenario is the best for WE?

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

The one where you set-up diagonally is usually pretty good, in my experience. If you are the person who deploys first, you're normally getting top of turn one- which is good with a shooty list. If you aren't the one to deploy first, you can deploy to counteract their deployment, which is great for us.
Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Orion »

Thought I would provide my list, so you guys can better help me with this particular list

My list (2400 pts) - Comp: 5/10

Highweaver, lvl 4
Unicorn,
Talisman of Preservation,

Dragon Lord,
Glittering scales,
Fencers blades,
Talisman of endurance

Shadowdancer, lvl 1 shadow
Dispel Scroll

27 Glade guard
Swiftshiver shards
mus, standard

6 glade riders
mus, standard

7 wild riders
Standard

2 treemen

1 eagle
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Why swiftshiver?
Why fencers blades on the lord?

How do you intend to deal with warmachines? (no scouts, no waywatchers, no Hawks only 1 eagle --> going after them with your dragon lord might mean the artillery will shoot at him and he will be in range of magic).
You have 2 expensive anvils in the treemen.. but only 1 hammer.

Just some questions.

I'll not bother you with what I'd chance because I think I just play woodelves very different to you and this wouldn't be my list at all. Maybe others can give others can give some advice and not present a whole new army :D
funkyfellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by funkyfellow »

[quote="Aezeal"]Why swiftshiver?
[quote]

I think he took a big unit of swiftshiver to hand of glory with the highweaver and fencersblades to pair with his glittering scales to make his lord hard to hit in close combat while the dragon does work.
He likely also took double treeman to create multiple targets for cannons to help out dragon.
Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aben Zin »

I'd guess that the swiftshiver is to work in consort with the Highweaver casting Hand of Glory, and fencers blades are to combo with glittering scales to make him a begger to hit in hand to hand!

As to the original question, to be honest I find just a straight forward battle line most useful. Meeting engagement could be a disaster if your gladeguard are late for the party, you haven't got enough standards for blood and glory, dawn attack can screw up your placing, potentially denying you use of your free wood and I've always found battle for the pass doesn't leave a lot of room for manoeuvring.

Keep it simple, I say.

[edit]Huh! Beaten to the punch![/edit]
Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Orion »

Aezeal wrote:Why swiftshiver?

How do you intend to deal with warmachines?
As some of the guys have already written, swiftshiver shafts is in combo with the high weaver. 54 shot with BS 5, 6 or 7 is powerful. I choose these kinds of arrows because there are no restrictions on them in the tournament, which basically punished ANYTHING that is moderately good.

The fencer blade lord is to hold up big infantry blocks. WS 4 or less will only hit him on 6's.

As to the warmachines: Wild riders, Dragon, Eagle, Glade riders should be enough i assume. Also, the other players also suffer from this comp, so hopefully I won't be going up against gunlines.

To the rest of you: Thank you for suggesting scenarioes. I can see why pitched battles might be our best choice. Thanks! :)
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

About that list
I ran a version of this list myself in a comp. Worked very well against Orks and Goblins. I tabled them, here are some pointers.

-The dragonlord actually worked as a countercharge model for me, he got in to combat late, but actually worked as a flanking threat, and made my opponent think twice about charging swiftshiver unit.
-This list does not need a BSB, but bring gleaming pennant in the glade guard.*
-If there is a bow and arrow cap, consider bringing sisters of the thorn for warmachine hunting. If not consider waywatchers(5 does a lot, use them as you would wardancers even!).
-Naestra & Arahan on eagle works well together with this list (their shooting hit hard)
-Go lore of highmagic instead of shadow perhaps? :) Better signature vs the biggest treat(Dwarf and empire cannons!)
-The wildriders might need banner of eternal flame against regeneration (never mind the banner of the world dragon, you got high magic!)

Scenarios:
-Battleline and dawn attack are the good ones.
-Blood and glory depends very on the list, waystalkers make this more easy to handle.
-Meeting engagement and battle for the pass are ok matchups along with B&G, but they limit movement a bit.
Watchtower is the only hard misson for us, Trueflight can't do mutch against an empire horde manning the watchtower in turn 5-6. Still we got a lot of possibilities in this misson, this is where the Tree-kin really shine but we usually don't bring them.