What do WE bring to doubles?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

What do WE bring to doubles?

Post by OfTheThorn »

I am wondering what sort of list Wood Elves should bring to doubles matches. Some of our neat tricks, such as Acorn of the Ages, are out because they would hinder our ally also. What do we do best that, no matter the ally or opponent, will always serve our side well?
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: What do WE bring to doubles?

Post by Aezeal »

Shoot and huntwarmachines
Bring Wildriders
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by bjoernuhlig »

chaff. all our units are chaff. the other brings the blocks.

and for real: we bring good generals, LD 10 is good. even a weaver with standard of discipline in sis-bus.
we bring good magic, good shooting, fast cav, everything for good support. we bring the support, we dont bring the big guns (with the WR exception)
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

My second game was a double.
Our shooting is ace and furthermore redirecting and general annoyance :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Pretty much what I thought. "Shoot stuff, cast things, don't die"

My basic premise was that we can make our characters hard-to-get points, with the unicorn weaver I've been championing since the last book, and the Sisters of Twilight.
Small units of hagbane glade guard are then ideal for pincushioning warmachines and as chaff, being relatively expendable?

Wild riders in a small army (1200 pts), to me, seem like a magic missile magnet? There are likely to be at least two wizards casting each phase, depending on the state of my opponents' alliance.
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

This topic is actually very dear to me, but I'll try to keep it brief

We bring more to the table in this set up than many non WE player realise: while our units aren't the cheapest, we provide some of the best anti warmachine, chaff, shock troops and anti armor. OK, enough bias, the next few points are dependant on your duo partner.

Warhawk riders, while easily over looked, can become a major advantage in a duo situation. Killing blow, speed and a combination of good shooting and powerful close combat makes them a nice choice even after you destroy some catapults. This is a very strong choice if your ally is slow moving, or relies on large blocks of infantry.

We have every basic lore in the game and two bonus lores. Find what your friend uses and help them, I like taking heavens for versatility.

Wild Riders are a big target to the enemy in any game, regardless of points, you can either use this to your advantage, taking one small unit to draw fire; or make your ally bring a big scary block, while you flank with your fantastic shock troops.

waywatchers are a must. need I say more? Anti tank gods.

you are a source of free cover. I don't know how to explain how cool that is. If you don't know you will after a few games.

Hagbane arrows. Lots of them. scouts, glade riders, glade guard.

And my personal favorite is your ambushers, while over rated in some scenarios, filling your minimum core with hagbane glade riders can actually work amazingly well.

However, regardless of how cool we are, this is RELIANT on your ally filling in for our weakness. We are an expensive elite chaff army. Most armies are able to field powerful blocks, so encourage your friend to do just that. If they play a knight heavy army, rely on your amazing arrows, with a unit of WR or WHR. If they play blocks of heavily armored troops, be the fast flanking strike.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

What we bring is more than just annoying - it is down right deadly after some time. We usually run around weakening our enemies until we are ready to finish off the cripples. Make sure your partner does not rush off and engage on turn one. (Unless he's really that bad ass and if he is - what does he need us for?) Try and get him to hold still or move off slowly and be a threat-in-being until your shooters and fast movers can do their magic. It will make both of your lives much easier on turns 4-6.

Job one - kill the things that can hurt his blocks, particularly one-zy specialty troops like expendables and war machines. Make sure you bring the weapons necessary to do this. This is your prime function in early game. By the end of turn 1 there shouldn't be anything deadly that is capable of reaching your ally's big, expensive, battle winner troops on turn two.
Job two - kill off his chaff and re-directors. Our light stuff is generally better than other peoples light stuff. Use it aggressively.
Job three - weaken and/or re-direct his blocks. Our basic tactics since time out of mind. Nobody does it better than us.
Job four - clean up the late game stragglers. Just like we always do.

Be sure and sit down with your ally before the game. Find out what he has, what it can do, and what he intends to try to do with it. If you have a conflict of visions you need to sort it out and get on the same page before you start throwing dice. If you have time and opportunity to collaborate on army builds by all means do so.

Bonne Chance
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Great write-ups Bill and Glory!

Now i want to go out and do some doubles :(
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

I played at a local double tourney with an empire player the other day. He took a large block of inner circle knights and a ST. We discovered that the combination of amazing anvil units of the 1+ AS units and the brutality of poison arrows worked wonders to our advantage. If it wasn't for the TOs ignoring their composition restrictions on all our opponents, we'd have easily placed...
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

What happened Coconut?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )