In what instance??? Wardancers

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sylk
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

In what instance??? Wardancers

Post by Sylk »

Hey all, so as I was browsing the book I came across something....
Wardancers:
Any model may exchange its hand weapons for an asrai spear 1 point per model
In what instance is this a good idea? Im sorry maybe im overlooking a simple thing but this doesn't feel viable to me at all...
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Re: In what instance??? Wardancers

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

If you make a large unit, leave the front rank as the are and give the rest spears for armour piercing and the extra rank.

I think people tend to use them most in small cheap units, so there's no point.

I have seen people use 9 in 3 ranks if 3 with spears in the rear 3 to maximise attacks against a character with the killing blow dance.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Furyou Miko
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Furyou Miko »

I think the option exists because there are wardancer models with spears rather than anything else.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Actually any model not in front rank of WD unit would benefit from the spear. The front get +1 attack and all supporting attacks would have AP.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Furion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Furion »

Don't units have to be armed the same way?
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Furion wrote:Don't units have to be armed the same way?
No. There is no rule saying every model has to be armed the same way. Most unit entries are worded so that you have to upgrade all or none, with phrases such as "...the entire unit may replace....", but wardancers don't have that.

Ogre Maneaters are another unit which can have different models with different weapons if I recall correctly.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

In fact it's not unusual to see 6+ Meneaters equipped with extra hand weapon on first rank and great weapon on the back. This way they max out on the attack number and gain the extra strength on the support ones.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

In fact it's not unusual to see 6+ Meneaters equipped with extra hand weapon on first rank and great weapon on the back. This way they max out on the attack number and gain the extra strength on the support ones.
Furion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Furion »

Are you sure?

BRB p88 says, "It is usual for all the models in a unit to carry the same weapons."

The rules for Ogre Maneaters specifically state that different models can have different weapons (p92), "Any model may be armed with one of the following (different models may have different weapons)"
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

"it is usual"

That tells you everything you need to know right there. By saying it is usual, they acknowledge that it is not always the case.

If I say I am usually at the pub, it means that sometimes I am not at the pub.

Furthermore, there is no rule saying they do have to have the same equipment, and their unit entry says "any model may...." Not "The entire unit may...."
Last edited by Coyle_Ravane on 27 Oct 2014, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Furion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Furion »

Hmm... Touché
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

The 6th ed Beast Herd. The Gors had 2HWs or SHs and the Ungors had Spears and could have Shs. Sadly that unit would work better in 8th mechanic-wise than in 6th or 7th.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

I use my wardancers in units of 5 with a spear and a champion. This makes it a very versatile unit, you can hole in a forest one wide and 5 deep and either take the damage on your champ to minimise kills, 3+ for an additional round of minimal deaths after the first, or go for killing blow to maximise attacks on a character whilst the enemy can still only kill you champ. This way you get 6 attacks on a character with rerolls to hit and 1's to wound, a pretty good chance of a killing blow.

I have succeeded on multiple occasions to hold up an entire flank like this. If they charge, great, you can hold them up for a few turns and maybe kill a character as a bonus. If they don't, also great, they will have to move around you and you can simply keep placing the unit right in front of them.

So the way I see it, 5 guys with one spear and a champ is the way to go.
It is not a fantastic upgrade, but it does increase your chances of killing a character and hey, it's just one point.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!