High Elves

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: High Elves

Post by Aezeal »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Pg 109 "(this [pivot] doesn't count as moving)"

So most play that a war machine can effectively shoot all round. I have seen it argued recently on TWF that this pivot only happens after acquiring the target, which would thus have to initially lie in forward arc. I've never seen anyone actually play it this way though and lack of a base makes exact angles problematic.
Actually when I take all that into account it does seem the best way if you follow the rules. Essentially the only thing about target acquisitoin is mentioned in the shooting part of the Turn chapter and that says you need to have the target in the front arc.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I'm nit sure about the pivot, but stand and shoot shouldn't be a problem for warhawks.

-1 to hit for stand and shoot, -1 for skirmishers, and if you position another unit between them and the RBT, cover as well, they should only get a hit or two at most, and the hawks have 3 wounds each.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

What magic works best against the high elves in your opinions.

I'm thinking heavens or shadow myself, maybe high (but with only WH as multiple wound units and them not being close to the backline caster I don't think I will go high).

Boltthrowers do D3 wounds. If they hit it will have impact.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

If the bolt thrower is hitting on 7+, needs to wound, and then to roll a 3 on d3, it's a pretty good chance you won't lose a hawk.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

If I can get hard cover. But it still is the only option I have.
I'm taking the same list as vs the tombkings.

8 ww, 10 scout, 30 gg, 7 WR, 5 WD, 6 WH and a mage level 3.

Only real thing is wether I should trade the scouts for 8 WW to be able to deal with heavy horse or BotWD and the choice of magic
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

All War Machines are Slow to Fire (like Leadbelchers for example) and hence can't Stand and Shoot. HE players consider Warhawks a difficult target because of the Skirmish and T4 (they will usually multi-shoot).

Shadow is a bit dodgy vs elves unless they bring monsters because of Pit. High is almost always good against them.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Aezeal wrote:If I can get hard cover. But it still is the only option I have.
With warhawks you should always be able to get cover if you planned ahead. As long as you charge over another unit (yours or theirs) you will have cover because charge reactions are resolved before any movement, so at the time you resolve the stand and shoot, there is another unit in the way.

I do the same with my wildriders. I put warhawks in the way, but leaving 1 wildrider able to see past them to the target. Next turn I declare charges with both units, the warhawks give the wildriders cover vs stand and shoot, then I move the warhawks before the wildriders, leaving the wildriders a clear path to their target.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Aezeal wrote:What magic works best against the high elves in your opinions.

I'm thinking heavens or shadow myself, maybe high (but with only WH as multiple wound units and them not being close to the backline caster I don't think I will go high).
High should really not be taken just for Apotheosis. Unforging is great to take out the All-mighty-banner and Convocation or even Tempest are scary for elves in general.
Shadow indeed is less useful with elves than with other armies, while Heavens is always good.
Death is great if you plan in sniping characters, not so much if you look for Purple Sun.
Probably Life and Beast can give you a good edge over them.
But if you have a mobile caster, Dark is actually the best you can take against any kind of Elves.
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by bjoernuhlig »

machines can pivot, and they can pivot in their shooting phase if they forgot to do it in the moving phase, and can still shoot. its faq'd.
no one other thing:
Else you can't even flank them.
there is no flank to war machines. they dont have a base, hence you dont have flanks or rears to attack at. look up war machines in cc in the rule book. you basically move your unit straight FROM WHATEVER ANGLE YOU COME FROM into contact until you touch the machine. this is really important, because in cc with machines YOU DO NOT "try to fill the gap". there is no gap.

this allows you to can choose to move into contact with WM in a way that allows you to overrun in a straight line where you want. as soon as you touch the machin you stop,... and fight, you can pick with your 90° attack-wheel the direction in which you overrun.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

this allows you to can choose to move into contact with WM in a way that allows you to overrun in a straight line where you want. as soon as you touch the machin you stop,... and fight, you can pick with your 90° attack-wheel the direction in which you overrun.
And the hunt goes on :)

It's a bit OP though... pivotting during shooting phase without penalties... seen that turning a machine in the right direction takes some handling
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

bjoernuhlig wrote:machines can pivot, and they can pivot in their shooting phase if they forgot to do it in the moving phase, and can still shoot. its faq'd.
no one other thing:
Else you can't even flank them.
there is no flank to war machines. they dont have a base, hence you dont have flanks or rears to attack at. look up war machines in cc in the rule book. you basically move your unit straight FROM WHATEVER ANGLE YOU COME FROM into contact until you touch the machine. this is really important, because in cc with machines YOU DO NOT "try to fill the gap". there is no gap.

I meant flanking more as: getting to them from an angle without getting shot at.