spirit sword

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

rasholm
Newcomer
Newcomer

spirit sword

Post by rasholm »

So the text states that any wounds caused by the sword results in you and your opponent rolling dice and add leadership. For each point of difference a further wound is caused. As I see it the additional wound is also caused by the sword, and would therefore trigger the process again. Is that the correct reading?
torn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: spirit sword

Post by torn »

Although I think the intention is that this would only happen once, it doesnt actually say that and techniclly I think you are correct going off RAW.

Also this could be the sister blade to the spirit blade from heroquest.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Yeah my guess would be that it should only happen once in the spirit of the game (as GW like to say), but as torn says, you could technically be correct. Sort of like chain wounding...
rasholm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rasholm »

GeoffDiGeoff wrote:Yeah my guess would be that it should only happen once in the spirit of the game (as GW like to say), but as torn says, you could technically be correct. Sort of like chain wounding...
like a nuclear reaction each reaction triggers many more. I think you are right though that the intended function is only once, but by RAW it is the nuclear reaction
~ Wardancer ~
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf , Orc&Golbin , Vampire Counts , Dark Elves

Post by ~ Wardancer ~ »

What happens when your Lord causes 2 wounds on the same target in the same round of combat? You apply this special rule twice to the model? If we're going to argue for each wound caused then you can't pick and choose when it's applied. For that reason we play the effect can only be applied once per model.
rasholm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rasholm »

~ Wardancer ~ wrote:What happens when your Lord causes 2 wounds on the same target in the same round of combat? You apply this special rule twice to the model? If we're going to argue for each wound caused then you can't pick and choose when it's applied. For that reason we play the effect can only be applied once per model.
You will no disagreement form me, that it should be played as the effect is only applied once, but I do disagree with your reasoning above.

The rule states that when one or more wounds suffered then the roll off is made, so in your example that would mean just one roll is made, and the wounds pool is emptied. However bu the rule any wounds caused by the roll off would immediately trigger one more roll off. There is no picking and choosing.
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

With 50% lords, the Spirit Sword has become a little more interesting! I figured it couldn't hurt to revive this .

RAW, wounds caused by the sword as a result of the roll-off should indeed set off another roll-off (they are "wounds caused by the sword", after all), but I doubt opponents would go for it, despite the fact that there is no room for misinterpretation.
What are your opinions on the way this should be played? There is currently no FAQ instructing us to treat the sword like a Multiple Wounds weapon like the old sword (ie. roll individually for each wound against multi-wound units).
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

I found this rule very clear.

When you wound , no matter how many wounds per combat, you get the proc.

This proc happens 1 time per combat. Otherwise this would be the toothpick of DOOOOOOOOOM.... And it's nasty as it is already :p
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

Never thought of the spiritsword like that before. Ofcourse one makes another leadership roll.
How is this unfair compared to say Rancid Visitations(Lore of Nurgle). And If we start comparing the spirit sword to it's empire brothers, Runefangs and Ghal Maraz. Yeah, seems fairly priced to me. :roll:
Put this on a Glade Lord and charge him into a unit of Whitelions with Banner of the world dragon and watch this glade lord do nothing to them!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I agree with arolig, Runefang seems better to me. A Grand Master can easily get to a 1+ AS, the best we can do is 3+. You can do stuff with spells but it's unreliable. Protection Counters possibly.

The other issue is putting a wound on a worthwhile target with S4.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

Yeah, STR 4 is nothing. Combining this character with lore of beasts(Savage Beast or Wyssans) can do wonders with this. I feel like this character needs The other tricksters shard aswell. Because this guys slays whatever he goes for, or dies trying.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

We also need to consider how he rolls.

Dragon? Sister bus? Eternal Guard?
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

arolig wrote:Never thought of the spiritsword like that before. Ofcourse one makes another leadership roll.
How is this unfair compared to say Rancid Visitations(Lore of Nurgle).
The problem is that it is such an uncommon item that this likely won't have come up before for most opponents, and so will undoubtedly lead to discussion, and probably disagreement.
The way I see it, I agree that it's one roll regardless of how many wounds you cause from swinging the sword. You do that, and it causes the sword to 'proc' as it were. Wounds caused by the roll itself have to be another 'proc'. There is no way those are the same instance of 'the sword causing one or more wounds' as the attacks. It would otherwise say 'in a combat where' rather than 'whenever'.

As others have pointed out, repeated tests until passing are not without precedent.

Even with this clarification, it's not overwhelming. Merely interesting. The chance your enemy will fluff multiple LD saves AND wards is minimal.
Delivery with no saves on the guy is another issue entirely.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

True that makes sense Offthethorn. God, this book is starting to annoy me! :crazy:
And why can't this sword also get tests vs multi-wound models? Like Ogres and MC, does not make sense at all... :wasted:
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

(Moved to Glade of Generals - discussion moving toward tactics)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

arolig wrote:Never thought of the spiritsword like that before. Ofcourse one makes another leadership roll.
How is this unfair compared to say Rancid Visitations(Lore of Nurgle). And If we start comparing the spirit sword to it's empire brothers, Runefangs and Ghal Maraz. Yeah, seems fairly priced to me. :roll:
Put this on a Glade Lord and charge him into a unit of Whitelions with Banner of the world dragon and watch this glade lord do nothing to them!
In my experience you need to charge White Lions with the banner of the world dragon with 7 wild riders.:
-After you roll to hit your opponents eyes start to shine
- when you roll to wound (somewhere about 15 wounds) he starts to smile.
-He picks up the dice and says smiling: they are forest spirits right, with magic attacks... this unit has a banner...etc
-Then you smile in yourself... but you keep a pokerface delaying the inevitable... you pick up your rulebook. "I'll look it up" you look to what you already know
-You put the finger on the page with wild riders and say: no that was last book.. now they look like forest spirits but they are not.
- Opponent gets tears in his eyes, drops his dice because he doesn't have a regular armor save left and apparantly doesn't get a 2+ ward save either...
-He then starts picking up White Lion after White Lion (very nicely painted) and puts them on the edge of the table.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

arolig wrote:True that makes sense Offthethorn. God, this book is starting to annoy me! :crazy:
And why can't this sword also get tests vs multi-wound models? Like Ogres and MC, does not make sense at all... :wasted:
Why doesn't it work against Multi-wound models? I can't find that anywhere. It only works against multiwound models right?
Most models will be dead after failing a test probably anyway.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Only works vs characters, champions and monsters.