Wood Elves Monstrous Cav Unit!

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Re: Wood Elves Monstrous Cav Unit!

Post by RedPanda »

Luminith wrote:Just thinking about it some more, you could use solo captains on stags as chariots. Pts wise they're not much different, they can move twice as far, or more, and hit as hard. They might not have as much toughness, but they're pretty damn comparable
Well looks like I have a reason to use the Wood Elf Chariot model now, what is the base size of the Stag which our Lord/Hero choices can ride on?
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

RedPanda wrote:
Luminith wrote:Just thinking about it some more, you could use solo captains on stags as chariots. Pts wise they're not much different, they can move twice as far, or more, and hit as hard. They might not have as much toughness, but they're pretty damn comparable
Well looks like I have a reason to use the Wood Elf Chariot model now, what is the base size of the Stag which our Lord/Hero choices can ride on?
50x50.

Wood Elf chariots sound weird. I'll keep my stag model thanks, :P
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Rogue Sun wrote:
RedPanda wrote:
50x50.

Wood Elf chariots sound weird. I'll keep my stag model thanks, :P
Chariot 50x100 eh i guess it works.

It is for fun, having a chariot go through the forest makes no sense at all unless you go something like Radagast's sled in the Hobbit and even then why not just ride a horse.
Still would be fun.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Wood Elves Monstrous Cav Unit!

Post by Rogue Sun »

The Skycutter Chariot strikes me as more wood elfy than high elf. One of those with some glade guard on the back and ambush would have been fun.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

chariots would be more for the glades than anything else, I guess. The beastmen are forest dewllers, and they live on those damn chariots haha
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

All captains have LA, Shield, Spear, Great Stag.
No1: Armor of Destiny (instead of LA) Thus 3+/4++
No2: Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield (instead of shield). Thus 3+/4++
No3: Talisman of Endurance, Helm of the Hunt (more hitty and better against WS3) or Armor of Fortune (instead of LA) and Opal Amulet. Thus 3+/5++ one time 4++.

We have little less than 600 points unit which can break around 20-25 models units of elite infantry (with S4,S5 weapons) and survive the back attacks, even if they have champs, heroes, etc. Fighting lords will need some decent buff like Savage Beast, Pann or Wildform. The big plus is that they can spread out and attack different units separately, if needed. It's hard to divert 3 different units of 1 hero.
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

Aemir wrote:All captains have LA, Shield, Spear, Great Stag.
No1: Armor of Destiny (instead of LA) Thus 3+/4++
No2: Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield (instead of shield). Thus 3+/4++
No3: Talisman of Endurance, Helm of the Hunt (more hitty and better against WS3) or Armor of Fortune (instead of LA) and Opal Amulet. Thus 3+/5++ one time 4++.

We have little less than 600 points unit which can break around 20-25 models units of elite infantry (with S4,S5 weapons) and survive the back attacks, even if they have champs, heroes, etc. Fighting lords will need some decent buff like Savage Beast, Pann or Wildform. The big plus is that they can spread out and attack different units separately, if needed. It's hard to divert 3 different units of 1 hero.
Thanks for enumerating. This is probably what I'll end up with. If you had to, which one would you make the BSB?
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

ampao wrote:
Thanks for enumerating. This is probably what I'll end up with. If you had to, which one would you make the BSB?
Me, none of them. Your BSB can't take magical armor. Plus you don't really need it on L9 nobles. I think you'd be better off keeping your BSB in a unit of ranked troops near your line with the HODA.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Your bsb cant take magic armour? Is this a new rule, or am I ignorant?
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by UKlvrBM »

Luminith wrote:Your bsb cant take magic armour? Is this a new rule, or am I ignorant?
I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember reading that in the BSB rules from our book.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

UKlvrBM wrote:
Luminith wrote:Your bsb cant take magic armour? Is this a new rule, or am I ignorant?
I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember reading that in the BSB rules from our book.
I think you're confusing it with the rule that prevents a BSB taking other magic items if he carries a magical banner. If he's not carrying a magical banner, he can take any magic items he wants.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Beithir Seun wrote:
UKlvrBM wrote:
I think you're confusing it with the rule that prevents a BSB taking other magic items if he carries a magical banner. If he's not carrying a magical banner, he can take any magic items he wants.
Except Arcane Items, because he's not a Wizard.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by bjoernuhlig »

There used to be DE shoot-and-avoid lists running 3 Masters on Dark Pegasi, is this somewhat viable with stags and heros? Just asking, as this setup reminded me of thoses tactics, which are kinda cool. Only problem is, the DE have 1+/4++ or 2+/4++ on (I think) all three models. we get shits'n giggles...
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by UKlvrBM »

Beithir Seun wrote:
UKlvrBM wrote:
Yeah, that was my bad. Shouldn't comment without the book on hand.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

bjoernuhlig wrote:There used to be DE shoot-and-avoid lists running 3 Masters on Dark Pegasi, is this somewhat viable with stags and heros? Just asking, as this setup reminded me of thoses tactics, which are kinda cool. Only problem is, the DE have 1+/4++ or 2+/4++ on (I think) all three models. we get shits'n giggles...
You just answered your own question.
Rob451
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rob451 »

What about adding in a cheap level 2 life/beasts caster on a unicorn for some magic resistance on top of those wards? Maybe have them carry the moonstone and put them in the second rank.
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

Rob451 wrote:What about adding in a cheap level 2 life/beasts caster on a unicorn for some magic resistance on top of those wards? Maybe have them carry the moonstone and put them in the second rank.
I'm not a fan. 3 stag characters is already running you right around 700 points. Even though I know the Stag bus isn't an efficient use of points it is fun. Adding a wizard, while sound on paper only adds unnecessary points to a unit that needs little help in terms of hitting power. I'd rather have my wizard somewhere else and IF I see an opportunity to buff the unit in a big combat I can do so without having all of my eggs in the same basket.
thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by thunderbow »

Could you throw those 3 Glade Captains on stags in a Sister unit? They won't get the Look Out Sire, but they get the 4++, which increases their durability considerably. Maybe reintroduce a LVL3 Beasweaver (along with the ultimately popular lvl4 Shadow, or maybe an Ancient), get a moonstone for one of those captains, HoTH for the other, and possibly a vanguarding banner for the sisters to carry (maybe it isn't necessary once you have the moonstone); fill the rest of special points with WR and WHR, core with a dryad/EG horde and some dryad speedbumps, rare with treemen and you've got a pretty crazy WE close combat army?
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)
DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DocDropPod »

How do the captains get the 4++ when in a Sister's unit?
Sister's rule states "model's with this special rule (Daughters of Eternity) gain a 4+ Ward save"
So how is it the Capatains get it? I understand if distributed for shooting but in CC???
thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by thunderbow »

My bad. I was of the Look Out Sire by the Sisters with their own wardsave, even though I mentioned that they'd lose the said rule. Guess I derped out a little. (retard)
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I suggested something like this a while ago. I don't play units like this but it did occur to me that sister's would be great.

3 stag dudes in front rank for hitting power., unicorn weaver in second rank for mr2 and savage beast. 10 sisters for 4+ ward vs shooting and 2+ vs magic with unicorns mr, a magic banner and ranks to negate steadfast.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:I suggested something like this a while ago. I don't play units like this but it did occur to me that sister's would be great.

3 stag dudes in front rank for hitting power., unicorn weaver in second rank for mr2 and savage beast. 10 sisters for 4+ ward vs shooting and 2+ vs magic with unicorns mr, a magic banner and ranks to negate steadfast.
But that's like a 1200 point unit. I AM one of these people that advocates a stag bus, but anything over 800 points is too much. The stag bus you can get away with because the characters all have decent stats (which help protect against things like dwellers or purple sun) and decent saves. Start adding more though and you're looking at a prime target to get Dwellered or simply redirected all game.

A character stag bus consisting of three characters is dangerous enough to crush most things they hit, but cheap enough that you can afford other units that can also threaten. And threat saturation is going to be very important with a Stag bus. Initially I supported the all out offense, but after looking at how many attacks you realistically lose by building defensively it was apparent that the survivable build is the better option. This is what I'm currently building my models to run:

All have - spear, shield and great stag

Glade Lord, Helm of the Hunt, Potion of Strength, Talisman of Preservation - 301pts

Glade Captain, Armor of Destiny - 194

Glade Captain, Armor of Fortune, Obsidian Trinket - 194

This gives all of them a 3+ armor save. 2 have a 4++ and one has a 5++ with MR1. On the charge the unit generates 23-29 S5 attacks, 11 of which are AP and ASF. They should almost always crush whatever they charge and the whole package is just shy of 700 points. While steep, I feel it's doable.