I just realised something awesome...

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Asrai Master
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves (obviously) and I have at least briefly considered playing nearly every army in Warhammer

I just realised something awesome...

Post by Asrai Master »

I'm sure many of you will have already noticed this, but I just thought I should point it out for those who haven't.

Arcane Bodkins give a -3 modifier to enemy armour saves, but do not stack with Armour Piercing, as enchanted arrows replace the stats of the Asrai Longbow. This means that Glade Guard or Scouts with Arcane Bodkins do not have Armour Piercing. Therefore, if you put a BSB in one of these units with the Razor Standard then your archers get Armour Piercing as well as their -3 save modifier. Ouch. (Particularly awesome in my case as my most frequently fought opponent insists on playing a full plate WoC army.)

Ok, that sounded a lot cleverer in my head than it does written down, but hopefully I've enlightened at least a few people who missed the obvious as I did for several days.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Re: I just realised something awesome...

Post by brechttomme »

It's really too bad that doesn't actually work though. ;)

BRB p.503, under Razor Standard: "MODELS in a unit with the Razor Standard have the Armour Piercing special rule."
BRB p.67, under Armour Piercing: "Wounds caused in CLOSE COMBAT by a MODEL with this special rule (or who is attacking with a weapon that has this special rule) inflict a further -1 armour save modifier, in addition to those for Strength. If a model has a WEAPON with the Armour Piercing special rule, only attacks made or SHOTS FIRED with the weapon are Armour Piercing."

So, you would get Armour Piercing in close combat, because the Razor Standard gives the special rule to the models. You wouldn't get it at range though, because for that you would need Armour Piercing weapons (like our standard Asrai Longbows), which are not provided by the Razor Standard.

Hope this cleared it up. :thumbsup:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

And just in case brechttomme's answer wasn't enough, the rulebook FAQ specifically states that the Razor Banner does *not* work with shooting attacks...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Asrai Master
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves (obviously) and I have at least briefly considered playing nearly every army in Warhammer

Post by Asrai Master »

Oh right, I evidently didn't check thoroughly enough then :p I just remembered that there was a banner that gave armour piercing.
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Outside of that error, with the banner it makes the GG similar to EG. So it might be a good option to take being we are not limited to a single unit to have magical banners.

Edit: infact I might just do that being I dont like EG.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

RedPanda wrote:Outside of that error, with the banner it makes the GG similar to EG. So it might be a good option to take being we are not limited to a single unit to have magical banners.

Plus you cannot stack the armour piercing rule.
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Pigey wrote:
RedPanda wrote:Outside of that error, with the banner it makes the GG similar to EG. So it might be a good option to take being we are not limited to a single unit to have magical banners.

Yea. Kinda weird for it to stack. Either way, their melee is where they are lacking which the razor banner should help.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Cast Enchanted Blades on them?
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dalsgaard »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Cast Enchanted Blades on them?
This!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Who needs Asrai Archery eh?

:)
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

Pigey wrote:

Checked the book: Bodkins are not following the rule "armour piercing." They happen to give you a -3 to AS, but it is not noted as "armour piercing", so I guess you COULD indeed stack for a minus 4.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Pigey wrote:
Pigey wrote:

Checked the book: Bodkins are not following the rule "armour piercing." They happen to give you a -3 to AS, but it is not noted as "armour piercing", so I guess you COULD indeed stack for a minus 4.
There's not very many targets that require 4 points over 3 of armour piercing to crack them open and for those that do our Waywatchers can just totally ignore their armour.
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

Agreed. I was just pointing out this fact ;)
krael
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by krael »

Although the razor banner doesn't work, the banner of eternal flame DOES stack with the enchanted arrows.
So that's something along the same lines of thought to keep in mind when you consider buying star/moon arrows for the flaming.
Especially since many units can carry the flaming banner without the BSB.
Fildrigar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Fildrigar »

krael wrote:the banner of eternal flame DOES stack with the enchanted arrows
Nope. Sure doesn't. I really wish people would stop repeating these two things involving magic standards and enchanted arrows.
BRB, page 69, Flaming attacks:

...are unaffected, as are any attacks made with magic weapons they might be wielding.)
Warhammer: Wood Elves, page 37, Enchanted Arrows:

All Shooting attacks made with enchanted arrows count as having been made with magic weapons.